Wrist watches for the adventure-minded?

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Not sure where you live... but where I live there is a serious lack of cell coverage not 45 min from my front door. While trying to stay connected, it will power through your battery in a hurry. When out in the bush I usually leave my cell phone in the Jeep...and trust my good ole Seiko or my Casio to tell me what time it is.

maxi450x

Casio protrek prw-3000
da85651618eafe409ad90bd60396fc02.jpg

Enviado desde mi S60 mediante Tapatalk

mekcanix

Camper
I have been wearing this Del Mar dive watch for more than a year now. The lumen is amazing, and its still readable at 4-5 AM and I got it for 125.00 from Amazon.ca. I absolutely love it and its tough as nails the crystal survived working in maintenance in a steel shop and has next to no marks on it I swap out the straps regularly and the gas valve on the left of the watch has not bothered me once
watch.jpg
PS I too feel naked with out my watch. Hell I sleep with it on and swim with it on. It only comes off for special occasions. I have been wearing a watch since i got a beat up timex at a garage sale when i was around 10 so thats damn near 40 years of watch wearing with no plans to stop

Last edited:

762X39

Explorer
who the f-awk has/needs a watch anymore when everyone already has a cell and who really wants to know what time it is anyways other than
dark aclock
beer aclock

Thank you for adding such useful insight to this discussion. I'll keep wearing my Victorinox.:coffee:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I have been wearing this Del Mar dive watch for more than a year now. The lumen is amazing, and its still readable at 4-5 AM and I got it for 125.00 from Amazon.ca.

Thats a slick watch. I don't think I have heard of them before, but I like it. Reminds me of my Seiko dive watch, only beefier. The gas valve...well that's a conversation starter.

mekcanix

Camper
Thats a slick watch. I don't think I have heard of them before, but I like it. Reminds me of my Seiko dive watch, only beefier. The gas valve...well that's a conversation starter.

I found them on Amazon.ca and just watched the price it came down to what I thought was reasonable for a daily wearing watch that looked good. I also thought it looked like the Seiko dive watches from the 80's

goin camping

Explorer
For decades it was a Rolex sub. Then I picked up a Rolex Daytona but don't really care for it. Probably sell it and get another sub.

Backup watch has been a 1970 Omega SpeedMaster "NASA certified for all manned space flight." So I am prepared as I will ever be to go into space.

zuren

Adventurer
Thanks all for the replies and ideas! As it turns out, my wife and my in-laws went all out for my 40th birthday this past November. My wife wanted ideas for a birthday gift that would be special, so I gave her a couple ideas. If I had a watch I liked, I would always where it and I always carry a knife. So this is the knife she gave me:

41rfgmn2bvl.jpg

https://www.dpxgear.com/shop/knives/dpx-hest/hest-f-urban.html

The knife is awesome! Much nicer than my $30 Leatherman knife I was carrying. The notch on the blade is for "wave opening" from your pants pocket and will get a beer bottle open.

Then the in-laws got me this watch:

https://us.citizenwatch.com/us/en/m...dialColor&pmin=0&prefv1=Silver|Black&start=13

So far I love the watch! It's simple and keeps time accurately. I rarely use my phone to check the time...sometimes analog is the better solution.

vartz04

Adventurer
I have a garmin Fenix 3. Can’t think of a better smart watch besides a newer fenix for this sort of thing.

Battery lasts 2 weeks if I am not using the GPS much. Charges in an hour or two using USB

Halligan

Adventurer
I've been wearing my Seiko 6309-7049 on and off since I purchased it at the age of 13. I had put the watch on layaway at a local jeweler and paid every week, usually about 20 bucks a week until it was paid off. Back then (around 1989) the watch was over $200. I wore it for most of my teenage years then on and off during my 20's. I had other cheaper watches the wife would buy me but the Seiko was always my favorite. Then it was no watch for a few years and relied on the cell phone for time.

A few months ago I put it back in service. The original rubber band was stiff and cracked so I replaced the band. It's a self winding watch that loses a minute a week so every 2-3 weeks I need to adjust the time. Other than that the watch has been bullet proof it's entire life. The back cover has never been off of it. Seiko really hit the ball out of the park with this watch movement and it's been used in other similar Seiko's over the years.

1HaytchZed

I've been wearing my Seiko 6309-7049 on and off since I purchased it at the age of 13. I had put the watch on layaway at a local jeweler and paid every week, usually about 20 bucks a week until it was paid off. Back then (around 1989) the watch was over $200. I wore it for most of my teenage years then on and off during my 20's. I had other cheaper watches the wife would buy me but the Seiko was always my favorite. Then it was no watch for a few years and relied on the cell phone for time.

A few months ago I put it back in service. The original rubber band was stiff and cracked so I replaced the band. It's a self winding watch that loses a minute a week so every 2-3 weeks I need to adjust the time. Other than that the watch has been bullet proof it's entire life. The back cover has never been off of it. Seiko really hit the ball out of the park with this watch movement and it's been used in other similar Seiko's over the years.

isnt this also known as the SKX007 Seiko series? i have one for 8 years and is far my favourite. i was napping one day and it fell in between the cushions in the couch, i went roughly 4 months without it, thinking i lost it, maybe it fell off while walking home from work. the most awful 4 months ever, before my wifey dearest found it... best day ever!

perterra

Adventurer
isnt this also known as the SKX007 Seiko series? i have one for 8 years and is far my favourite. i was napping one day and it fell in between the cushions in the couch, i went roughly 4 months without it, thinking i lost it, maybe it fell off while walking home from work. the most awful 4 months ever, before my wifey dearest found it... best day ever!

It's a different watch, the 6309 ceased production in the late 80's, the 007 started production in the late 90's. The only thing they share is the niche they filled for Seiko. Both very good dive watches that wont break the bank. The 6309 has been reincarnated as the SRP777

jpachard

Adventurer
I’m a huge mechanical watch fan and like small brands like Zixen. That said, my better half got me a Garmin Felix 5x for Christmas and I’ve been really impressed. Great battery life, nice intuitive user interface, does all my activities and is super reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste