Pictures - Starting my 5x8 Cargo Camper Conversion

Darkrider

Adventurer
Im thinking around 2000 loaded. Not 100% sure, I am going to just get it weighed.

Def looking forward to seeing how it ends up. Considering various ideas for builds but i am kind of limited by the limits of my Patriot. Ideally i would like to build/buy a trailer that all of my vehicles can pull safely. Right now that is pointing towards a lightweight pop top tent trailer.

southpier

Expedition Leader
on the road, doesn't the spare create a pendulum effect?

if the basket is not loaded symmetrically, would it twist?

gwolff

Observer
on the road, doesn't the spare create a pendulum effect?

if the basket is not loaded symmetrically, would it twist?

No, the pendulums are created when you have too much weigh to the rear of the trailer. The tire isn't throwing it as off balance as it looks, considering on the other side is a 75 lb battery. If you're thinking aerodynamics, well I've had it up to 50 mph and it tows smooth as butter.

The basket is bolted to the frame and it's welded steel tubing. The rear of the basket goes across two members of the frame that are about 2 feet apart and it's bolted to both. i suppose it would twist if you loaded a corner with 1000lbs, but as of now I can jump on it and it doesn't budge.

Last edited:

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Super cool, I am picking up one of these trailers in the next couple of week to build out! Looking forward to seeing you progress...

TundraX_SA

I've been on the ropes about converting a cargo trailer, but you may have convinced me. Now I need to convince the wife. Keep it up. CAn't wait to see the finished product.

gwolff

Observer
I've been on the ropes about converting a cargo trailer, but you may have convinced me. Now I need to convince the wife. Keep it up. CAn't wait to see the finished product.

Awesome!

Here's a little update. Just working on the interior, got the front cubbies built but not permanently installed. I had to get all the wall coverings in before I could build the divider wall. That will be coming up soon! The walls are filthy, they will look great with a little bit of clean up :)

BvTNpwM.jpg

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
What is the overall width of your trailer with the fenders and tires now? Also can you tell us the hieght of the side walls and total trailer hieght?

gwolff

Observer
What is the overall width of your trailer with the fenders and tires now? Also can you tell us the hieght of the side walls and total trailer hieght?

I will grab those measurements tonight. I would estimate the overall width to be 88 inches or 7ft 4 inches. If I recall correctly, the side walls inside are around 54" tall, the maximum interior height is around 60", although the raised floor took a bit out of that. Overall height I'm not sure, I would estimate its near the same as the width, 88 inches.

gwolff

Observer
Great build, here is my 5x8 project.

I have seen yours :) It was part of my inspiration! I was sending pics of this to people when I was trying to explain to them what I wanted to do. Not trying to be creepy but I searched the forums a ton before I started my build lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne