Pictures - Starting my 5x8 Cargo Camper Conversion

gwolff

Observer
That Suspension moves a lot more than you would think. Those tires will be rubbing. I stuffered the mistake. Trailer looks bad *** by the way. Love the build.

The specs say that there is a maximum of 2 and 5/8 inches of deflection in the suspension. On the pictures of the trailer on the ground, the suspension is compressed about an inch or so and theres about an inch and a half of vertical clearance. I should have gone with at least an extra inch of clearance, I'm not sure what I was thinking. However, I don't think it will be a big issue. Time will tell, hopefully I don't have to rebuild them.

Thank you all for the compliments on the trailer, I am really happy about how it is turning out and it's nice to hear other's thoughts

tlin

Adventurer
Nice work....looks good!

Any problems hanging that 100# (?) wheel-n-tire on those two bolts on a first try?

gwolff

Observer
Nice work....looks good!

Any problems hanging that 100# (?) wheel-n-tire on those two bolts on a first try?

The bolts had no issue with it.. it should take probably 10 tires to shear a bolt. The channel in the back wasn't up to snuff though.

gwolff

Observer
Big update! I finished the box and mounted it. I also ran all the towing electrical including brakes and tested all the lights. Also installed the floor. Pics below, not exactly in order. If videos are your thing, you can check out my video update https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch9oEuaL7tU

Painted the tongue. Thank you Adventure Trailers for the laser cut plate to convert my tongue. I now have massive confidence in the strength of the converted tongue.

IMG_4730.jpg

Tongue box mounted

IMG_4755.jpg
IMG_4751.jpg

Hooking up electrical (new wireloom also)

IMG_4735.jpg
IMG_4737.jpg

Wiring up the brakes (supposed to use blue wire? Oops)

IMG_4754.jpg

Lights all working, including new clearance lights on the fenders.

IMG_4766.jpg

Bonus pic of me, happy because the trailer is going well now.

IMG_4767.jpg

HAFICON

Adventurer
Really liking this.. I just traded my trailer for a set of AEV wheels and hundred $$.. Wanting to build another one next summer depending on where I am living. Looks like this makes an awesome base.

b63215b

Adventurer
Great project so far, love where you hid your electric panel for your trailer plug. What are the uprights made of in your trailer to hold a complete tire and wheel (I am assuming they are 30"-33" tires)? Excited to see the completion and the inside of this trailer.

TW2

Very nice project! My 1st post.I've weighed out options for our jku and this is the option we've decided to go with as well. Thanks for sharing!

gwolff

Observer
Great project so far, love where you hid your electric panel for your trailer plug. What are the uprights made of in your trailer to hold a complete tire and wheel (I am assuming they are 30"-33" tires)? Excited to see the completion and the inside of this trailer.

I used two 2" x 1" pieces of channel in the wall welded from the lower to upper frame.

gwolff

Observer
Here's the latest on the trailer build!

I installed a 7 pin plug on my jeep with a brake controller and tested out the brakes. They work!

I have begun the inside of the trailer, I ran the electrical and then insulated and closed up the floor of the sleeping area
KAcw3sI.jpg

nIU3jFV.jpg

iN4i466.jpg

Today I cut holes in the sides of the trailer for the windows. Then I finished insulating the walls and cut the plywood to cover them. I have it in place temporarily while I figure out how exactly I want to install the windows.

3MCqz5G.jpg

lI4yJAJ.jpg

gwolff

Observer
Update Post

Walls are insulated and completed.
Windows are installed.
Ceiling is insulated and installed.
Fan has replaced vent.

Next up will be the wall coverings.

s6y7RIO.jpg

lUJHcXs.jpg

IMG_20180130_171017.jpg

gwolff

Observer
Cool build so far! What do you figure your end weight will be?

Im thinking around 2000 loaded. Not 100% sure, I am going to just get it weighed.

I started installing wall covering last night. Putting on the ceiling was a nightmare. Never want to do that again ever.

IMG_20180201_175020.jpg
IMG_20180201_191150.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles