Creative ways to get height at rear axle?

Haraald

Observer
No one sells airbags or custom springs for my particular model of suv (Highlander, trust me, multiple owners confirmed it) and every car shop I've called has refused to help because of liability.

Can I just jam some rubber disks or something between the jounce bumper and the strike plate until I get the height I want? That's all an airbag would be anyway right? Obviously my stock jounce bumper isn't designed to be engaged all the time like that but it's just a block of rubber and plastic as far as I can tell.

javajoe79

Fabricator
It wouldn’t take much to figure out your spring rate and source some stiffer springs to use and convert your struts to adjustable coilovers. That or install airbags. Having it constantly riding on the bump stops sounds horrible. This is a job I’d do if you were nearby. I’ve done tons of custom suspension work

eggman918

Adventurer
I have found that if you bring just the spring to a spring shop they will often do more for you that if you bring the vehicle to them.
With the spring a competent shop can determine the springs load and then make/purchase something that will serve your needs,and as all they did is sell you a pair of springs their liability ends there as what you do with the springs is on you.
I have found this approach also works for power steering/hydroboost systems on vehicles with hydraulic shops as most cannot work on vehicles due to licensing/regulations/liability yet they are the people that know the field best, but if all you bring them is components they can get you going quickly and for the best price............... $.02

Weeds

Adventurer
You might try Pohl Spring in Spokane. The make springs for any thing from bicycles to large trucks and construction equipment. They can design a spring for your load.

Desert Dan

Explorer
A coil spring spacer or add a leaf depending on what suspension/vehicle you have.

Ne springs would be better.

Haraald

Observer
Would this 2.5" thing work? It says it's "universal" and looks like it'd be easy to just slide in there:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performa...ap3rVykrRde2P9GIOPLtUNNUiP5n_y-RoCclsQAvD_BwE

555-60832.jpg

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
It's not clear as to what you are actually trying to accomplish. Do you just want to raise the rear of the Highlander for appearance? For more ground clearance? For more tire clearance? To improve departure angle? To increase load capacity? To level it when you have a load? How much do you want to raise the rear? Will your shocks be long enough? If you go with new custom springs, do you want them to be just longer or longer and stiffer? Either will change the handling dynamics and might cause dicey situations on icy roads.

javajoe79

Fabricator
It's not clear as to what you are actually trying to accomplish. Do you just want to raise the rear of the Highlander for appearance? For more ground clearance? For more tire clearance? To improve departure angle? To increase load capacity? To level it when you have a load? How much do you want to raise the rear? Will your shocks be long enough? If you go with new custom springs, do you want them to be just longer or longer and stiffer? Either will change the handling dynamics and might cause dicey situations on icy roads.

He said this in another thread "I have a highlander hybrid converted to a camper, so it's at max payload." Sounds like he's overloaded and trying to raise the truck back up to a normal height.

Installing generic air bags that go inside the spring like in the link I posted is probably his best/easiest option. They aren't ideal IMO but they do work. I would carry spares if I were to go that route as they are known to pop from time to time. Just using spacers on top of the strut top would work too but might put him is a situation where he bottoms out the strut before the suspension hits the bump stops. Increasing his spring rate or spring preload is what really needs to happen.

Haraald

Observer
^Thanks, though I already found that link and bought those bags; when I got them I took some measurements and realized that it was doubtful it would raise the rear more than an inch or so... they're not tall enough.

Leveling the load, greater approach angel, etc are all my goals. It's really irritating that Toyota put such squishy springs on a vehicle that's hypothetically supposed to have 7 passengers and cargo... I'm not going over payload and they should have built it to tolerate weight on the hitch if it's supposedly a 'towing' vehicle.

I installed that rubber coil thing last night and got about an inch. I just ordered these below to try to get a few more inches. Other than that I'll just keep making calls to shops until someone finally offers to help me.

417SHY6RRBL._SX450_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029K20C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

javajoe79

Fabricator
^Thanks, though I already found that link and bought those bags; when I got them I took some measurements and realized that it was doubtful it would raise the rear more than an inch or so... they're not tall enough.

Leveling the load, greater approach angel, etc are all my goals. It's really irritating that Toyota put such squishy springs on a vehicle that's hypothetically supposed to have 7 passengers and cargo... I'm not going over payload and they should have built it to tolerate weight on the hitch if it's supposedly a 'towing' vehicle.

I installed that rubber coil thing last night and got about an inch. I just ordered these below to try to get a few more inches. Other than that I'll just keep making calls to shops until someone finally offers to help me.

417SHY6RRBL._SX450_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029K20C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you want to send me your struts, I can help you. I can measure the spring rate of the stock springs and replace them with something stiffer and adjustable. Another option would be to send your springs to http://www.coilsprings.com/ They can make you a custom spring to fit your application perfectly or they may even have a spring that will work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94