Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping it simple

Quote Originally Posted by BCobe View Post
    $200 for both axles! 1 Set of JK Gears is that! I do agree with doing things yourself. I have done everything myself except mount my tires. If I could fab, then I probably would have fabricated a rear bumper, I do like the looks of AEV plus the price was great so I would have bought that otherwise.

A regear around me was about 600 per axle. I took that $1200 and invested in the tools and time. It was a pain to do but we shall see how they hold up.
    Way to go!
    Rear 8.8 axle complete with 4.10s and a shot limited slip ~$125... front, D35 IFS, 4.10 geared, housing & carrier ~ 75$, had the shims and spent roughly 1800 on the lockers (new couldn't find used).... tools left over from decades ago.

Mounting tires by hand is for youngsters ($20 gets me four changed at the local Big-O).
    ...might be time to invest in a welding class at the local community college... MIG welders are relatively easy to weld with an, a good grinder and sawsall/plasma cutter and you are pretty well set to fab...

Of course you can also do small projects like a 35 AH, sealed, deep discharge battery (not enough for a fridge, but easy to carry/transport) and a cheap Harbor freight inverter for camp lighting and electricity...(way better than any lantern, IMO, and works great with 110volt LED bulbs in lamps, at home, during power outages).
    Salvage yard frame mounted tow hooks; those on the back of the Jeep came off a Suburban and the bolts and holes even line up.... an old Jeep tow bar supplied the 1/2" steel for spacers...
    A (20% stretch minimum) snatch strap instead of a winch (to keep the vehicle lighter) ... lockers, pretty much, eliminate the need for a winch on less than extreme trails (driver skill dependent), IMO.
    ...current project; cram a chinese compressor (tsunami 1050; can't really recommend them due to design issues) into a .30 caliber (small) ammo can... replaces the worn out/retired Coleman compressor from the 1980s...
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-13-2017 at 03:07 PM.
    Moderate trail off road vehicle; 2006 TJ Rubicon, 4.10s, 4:1 low range, OEM lockers, 31" (garbage) ATs...
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford Explorer Sport, 4wd, 4.10s, ARB rear, Torsen front, 32" MTs...
    Ground tents work best for me so far...
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Joe View Post
    ...might be time to invest in a welding class at the local community college... MIG welders are relatively easy to weld with an, a good grinder and sawsall/plasma cutter and you are pretty well set to fab...
    I toom a welding class in HS but have often considered taking one up at a CC. Maybr after my current slew of classes are done.

I went the winch route for now since I got it used with synthetic line.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Scratch dent return to compact appliace
    Purchase details
    EdgeStar 43 Qt. Portable Fridge / Freezer
    EdgeStar Portable Fridge / Freezer - 43 Qt.
    $399.99
    Extra 35% Off!-negative $140.00
    Item #FP430OB
    Amount$259.99
    Total$259.99 Retail $450 - $700