Foxwing poles drifta style, anyone have any ideas?

cemeb4dk

As most of you have probably seen or heard of Drifta out of Australia. I really like his Tent/awning poles with the angled tip and the stakable base on the poles. They make it so they really don't need the guy lines, and the idea of the angled tips just seem to make sense in windy conditions. I contacted them and he can't ship them to the US because of the size.

So my question was has anyone built any DIY or know of where someone could get the tips that are angled as replacement tips? I have scoured the internet and all seem based out of Australia, there has to be a need for them in the US correct?

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
As most of you have probably seen or heard of Drifta out of Australia. I really like his Tent/awning poles with the angled tip and the stakable base on the poles. They make it so they really don't need the guy lines, and the idea of the angled tips just seem to make sense in windy conditions. I contacted them and he can't ship them to the US because of the size.

So my question was has anyone built any DIY or know of where someone could get the tips that are angled as replacement tips? I have scoured the internet and all seem based out of Australia, there has to be a need for them in the US correct?
The Alu-Cab Shadow Awn that is built in South Africa has the same "stakable" base on their poles. But as far as not needing the the guy lines - that's not true. They still require the guy lines for windy conditions. The bottom of the poles are staked so they don't shift, but the strength to hold up in the wind comes from the guy line pulling down from the top of the awning and pole to secure it from flapping. Why do you need an angled tip with the Foxwing? The guy lines tied to the pole tips should keep the awning from flapping off.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador

Drifta won't ship anything to the US. I've tried to order several things from them but got a rather ****ty email back saying they didn't "bother" with shipping to the US. Whatever that means, screw them. And regardless of the top you still need guy lines as the other person mentioned.

And fyi before I found the poles on the drifta site I contacted poles apart (also in aus) who have poles with a straight tapered top that I figured I could shape myself. When contacted they said they won't ship to the US either. I went so far as to contact three vendors thru alibaba including a vendor with an interesting design. The poles were aluminum and had the old style "button" dot thing that when lined up in the corresponding hole locked it in that place. What was interesting was the way they telescoped, they had plastic locking mechanisms on the outside of the pole and the taper at the top that was long enough to put a bend in. The guy I spoke with was super nice and said they had never had a request to bend that taper. I forwarded him the images from drifta, poles apart on what dimensions I'd like but it came down to the smallest run they would do was 100. And at that price they would be $20 each so yeah that was a non starter. Maybe you should talk to an company that does metal forming/works with aluminum? Personally I'd pay $10/12 a piece for a lightweight telescoping pole that was stake-able like that.

tae73

Observer
I just got my foxwing and one annex panel, the annex came with two poles that were stakable but the awning poles where not.

Uncle Jeffy

I have been contemplating this, even though I don't have a Foxwing yet. I found a dealer in Canada that will import the Drifta poles:

Kakadu Camping www.kakaducamping.com Matt seems to be a good guy, why not contact him?

I also have a workaround in mind to modify the poles that come with the Foxwing, but I don't know if it would work. Use cable glands on the pole spigots to hold the tarp down, and put marine fittings on the bottom of the poles so they can be pegged to the ground.

https://www.amazon.com/Yongcun-Nylon-Glands-Waterproof-Joints/dp/B01KU2U750/ref=sr_1_7?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1516494531&sr=1-7&keywords=cable+gland

http://www.amazon.com/MxEol-Bimini-Fitting-Hardwares-Stainless/dp/B078PDWNKT/ref=pd_sbs_200_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B078PDWNKT&pd_rd_r=C5QATR11HG1KVSH0XN4V&pd_rd_w=N5Dv1&pd_rd_wg=lJfLp&refRID=C5QATR11HG1KVSH0XN4V

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Made-Products-11717-Marine/dp/B000QGKFSU/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1516494801&sr=1-3&keywords=deck+hinge

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles