Camp chair for a big guy that still packs down small...

I’ve been looking for a decent (and hopefully comfy) camp chair. I’m 6’3” and 320lbs. I really like the concept behind a lot of the Helinox chairs in the fact that they are quick and easy to pack down into a small portable package. I’ve tried a couple out and they feel either a bit flimsy or just a bit too small for me.

What are you using for a camp chair? I’m hoping to find something that packs down compact for travel but is still big guy friendly. Any suggestions? I saw the REI Co-Op Camp Xtra Chair but it doesn’t appear to really pack down any smaller than your average beach chair.

perterra

Adventurer
Man, 320 makes it a hard to find. I keep GCI Picos in the camper, but 250 is what they supposedly max at. There are some out there but none that pack small. Let us know what you decide on, because it would be good to have .

While they don't pack down small, I did find a company called Alps Mountaineering that has some camp chairs rated for 500 and even up to 800lbs. Yowza!

Matt.H

Adventurer
I've been looking for a decent (and hopefully comfy) camp chair. I'm 6'3” and 320lbs. I really like the concept behind a lot of the Helinox chairs in the fact that they are quick and easy to pack down into a small portable package. I've tried a couple out and they feel either a bit flimsy or just a bit too small for me.

What are you using for a camp chair? I'm hoping to find something that packs down compact for travel but is still big guy friendly. Any suggestions? I saw the REI Co-Op Camp Xtra Chair but it doesn't appear to really pack down any smaller than your average beach chair.

To get the support you need you may not get the compactness you want.

Good luck.

Matt

http://www.destinationxl.com/mens-big-and-tall-store/-/cat1890024

Kevin108

Explorer
BJs Wholesale has Due North chairs. I bought one, and was given a second one as a gift. I'm 5'10" and about 280 lbs. These things feel like furniture! I hate iPhone. I don't know why these pics are 90° off.

2017-11-12 20.26.05.jpg

2017-11-12 20.26.52.jpg

Last edited:

THATSALEXUS?

Adventurer
We're huge fans of the picnic time chairs. First and foremost, they don't meet the pack down small criteria,but they are comfortable! I'm "only" about 6'2", 210, but with our 90 pound Doberman in my lap, It almost gets me there haha. Check out the reviews, I think the third or forth one down references the reviewers 320 pound dad. We've been using them for a little over five years and haven't come across anything more comfortable.

Freebird

Adventurer
Kermit chair. Your question sounds like a "Set-up" for attention to the Kirmet....
Packs VERY small.
Get the wide one, and buy the leg extensions.
They have a good web site, plus there are YouTube videos on assembly/packing them up.
I find them very comfortable, but I am a bit over 6' and only 240#, but it is roomy for me.
Drawback? Pricey
Good luck on your quest.

mobob

ARB chair has been a good one for me. I wish it packed down a little smaller, but for its comfort and durability, it's worth the little extra size.

Kermit chair. Your question sounds like a "Set-up" for attention to the Kirmet....
Packs VERY small.
Get the wide one, and buy the leg extensions.
They have a good web site, plus there are YouTube videos on assembly/packing them up.
I find them very comfortable, but I am a bit over 6' and only 240#, but it is roomy for me.
Drawback? Pricey
Good luck on your quest.

Agreed. I went with a Kermit when a casting broke on my GCI Pico. They make a wide size.

ajmaudio

Adventurer
Kijaro xxl chair from amazon has worked for me... they have some for 400+ pounds. maybe not as small as you want but has been sturdy

Freebird

Adventurer
I find it interesting how many people are suggesting a square peg (not small in travel configuration) for a round hole (need small)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles