750Mah Battery tender enough to keep 2 x 6v golf cart batteries alive all winter?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Back in August the 12v battery in our travel trailer died. Since I had been wanting to do the 2 x 6v Golf Cart (GC) battery swap anyway I figured that was as good a time as any to do it. Ordered the box and did the swap - used 2 x duracell deep cycle FLA batteries with 230ah and it's worked great.
Now the trailer is up for sale and I'm going to keep the GC battery setup for our next trailer. I moved the batteries and the box inside the garage. I had an old Harbor Freight battery tender/trickle charger that is rated to put out 750 Mah.
Given that the batteries were fully charged (showing about 12.8v) should the 750 Mah charger be enough to keep the batteries in good shape all winter? I can't think a battery would lose much power sitting in a garage. The garage is not heated but it is attached to the house and insulated all around (including the door) so it doesn't really get that cold there. I would guess it rarely (if ever) drops below freezing even on the coldest days and probably averages temps in the high 30s to mid 50's most days.

john61ct

Adventurer
Flooded can self-discharge 15% per month, more when hot, less in the cold.

So one pair @ 230A is about one AH per day, so @¾A no problem, leave it on all the time, assuming an appropriate Float voltage.

Other way to go, is give them a proper high-amp 3-cycle charge overnight monthly or so.

Check water levels regularly just in case.

ajmaudio

Adventurer
I would spring for a 2 amp version for sure... I use one for golf cart batteries and its great. After my research I came to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EKY1EM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its temperature compensated and weather resistant. Temperature compensated was a must for me. Really helps. It also has a desulfating cycle. If your going to use this battery setup for the foreseeable future I would suggest you spring for it if you can.. keep those batteries in tip top shape.

goodspeed

Hello, friend. As far as I am concerned, the batteries are discharging pretty fast if they are not used. A lot of people are experiencing different problems with the batteries, because soon or late they are going to discharge. However, this problem is not related to me, because I have recently bought myself a good electric golf caddy from MGIGOLF, and it's very nice and comfortable. The best part is that it can be customized and upgraded. I have upgraded the battery and everything is just perfect now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles