Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Composite fiberglass/foam panel build question

This is exactly what UroCamper out of Spain has been doing for years. Uses Stador brand panels, routes the edges, and CF tape to join the edges. Victorian is giving the correct info on his panels, you should speak with the individual panel manufacturer and get their info.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaCruzNomad View Post
    StyroMAX recommends glassing over the inner radius to strengthen it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJPvvnCE8XU
    I think what is being discussed here is joining panels at the edges.
    2016 Toyota Tundra SR 4x4 Double Cab Long Bed 5.7L..... DIY camper on the way...

Just realized you are currently in Spain. I would contact UroCamper directly. So many options and experience in that part of the world.

Our box is composite fiberglass/foam/ply,. The corners are glassed inside and out and protected with stainless corners. The truck (917 AF) has been traveling for 22 of the last 24 years with no failures. the box is a solid mount so the box takes huge stresses off road, no problem. So done right glassed corners can be very strong.
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 917 AF

Hi Scott, we are sort of in Spain. We are currently in the Canaries on the way across the Atlantic on our sailboat (or current offroad vehicle ;-) ). We leave in a couple of weeks for the crossing. Actually I had considered just getting a camper in Spain, traveling Europe then the rest of the world, then selling and doing something for North America. But we have been away for a while and it is time to be home for a bit.

Sounds like a wonderful trip! Enjoy

I am going to be laminating my own composite panels for my trailer build using 1" Dow foam and Filon. Hopefully going to get started on the walls by the end of January. Link in my signature

StomperXJ,

Be aware the panels that have printing on them, ie most XPS panels, have a film that interferes with adhesion. Dow and OC make panels that are planed at the factory for lamination. Not available in the US for less than 10K square feet. Just be aware.

You are correct. Foam from home depot or other hardware stores are not suitable for Composite panels in vehicle body construction.
    http://totalcomposites.com/ your supplier for European designed fiberglass sandwich panels and accessories.
    https://www.facebook.com/totalcompos...homepage_panel

Quote Originally Posted by ScottReb View Post
    Be aware the panels that have printing on them, ie most XPS panels, have a film that interferes with adhesion. Dow and OC make panels that are planed at the factory for lamination. Not available in the US for less than 10K square feet. Just be aware.
    What sort of film? The Foamular sheets I've used in 1" and 2" thickness don't have any perceptible film. The 1/2 inch sheets have a film that can be peeled off.

The planed panels have more precise and uniform thickness. That's certainly nice but not necessary. https://www.dow.com/en-us/products/P...eXPSInsulation

I'm using a dog brush with sharp steel teeth to prep the foam.
    2016 Toyota Tundra SR 4x4 Double Cab Long Bed 5.7L..... DIY camper on the way...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast