Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Composite fiberglass/foam panel build question

I followed your camper build and was impressed with your design and construction work

Quote Originally Posted by IdaSHO View Post
    Certainly find some links if you can.

FRP has proven over the years to be very tough to bond to. Most FRPs are epoxy based polymers, but it still takes a pretty rough FRP surface to provide enough for the epoxy to grab.
    https://www.swaylocks.com/forums/xps...ngdelamination
    http://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthr...Number=2145290
    http://shedtech.blogspot.com/2014/12/

Pretty sure the FG skins are using polyester resin and gelcoat rather than epoxy.
    2016 Toyota Tundra SR 4x4 Double Cab Long Bed 5.7L..... DIY camper on the way...

I myself love the glass over foam method, but it is extremely labor intensive compared too a composite core panel
    It certainly can! It depends on how much you care about a smooth, flat surface. If you want it to look "factory" perfect (and you would, since you are building for others) it takes a huge amount of work. All that fairing and sanding.

The way I'm doing it though, isn't a lot of work. I'm hoping a texture coat will keep it from being too ugly
    2016 Toyota Tundra SR 4x4 Double Cab Long Bed 5.7L..... DIY camper on the way...

After looking at this page:
    http://shedtech.blogspot.com/2014/12/

The carpet roller treatment keyed the adhesive into the foam quite well. I'm encouraged by that.

Quote Originally Posted by stomperxj View Post
    The carpet roller treatment keyed the adhesive into the foam quite well. I'm encouraged by that.
    The dog brush is working better for me anyway. More consistent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rruff View Post
    Interesting links, but I fail to see how this negates the use of epoxy.

The problems were not the epoxy, the problems that folks have had are due to the gassing of the foam.

They were also 100% related to glassing XPS with epoxy and matt/cloth, not using epoxy as an adhesive between a foam core and a skin.

There isnt much reason to reinvent the wheel. The Australian and European panel manufacturers are using some version of pu adhesives, moisture, 2 part or hot melt, depending on their manufacturing lines. FRP and planed XPS and it works. Just find which type of adhesives works best for YOU and go with it. Plenty of them use vacuum bagging, which is fairly inexpensive and easy to use. I think moisture cured is the easiest to work with so thats what I use. Personally the set time for epoxy is the turn off for me.

Id be interested in comparing your urethane with an actual panel adhesive that Epic Resins carries.

Ad also be interested in their explanation as to why they suggested this potting urethane instead of an actual panel adhesive, that they also carry.
    I spoke with my Epic rep the other day. The panel adhesive they have is for structural insulated panels for commercial/residential that are stationary. It is Shore D 80 hardness.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottReb View Post
    I think moisture cured is the easiest to work with so thats what I use. Personally the set time for epoxy is the turn off for me.
    How well does that work when you have two surfaces that are nearly impermeable to moisture (XPS and FRP)?

Set time for epoxy... I guess it can take ~24hrs to acheive full strength at room temp, if you use the slow cure stuff. Is that what you mean?

Correct rruff. With the moisture cures I can have 20-90min of set up time and less than 90 minutes press time. Temperature dependent. Epoxy will certainly work and is easy to use and used by plenty of folks. For me I just think the moisture or 2 parts are better simply because of the time. Being able to do more than one panel per day is essential for me.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast