STREGA's Bundutec Flatbed Bunducamp Popup Build.

STREGA

Explorer
I think the no distributor model works really well for small family shops. As you point out they can do interesting projects, offer really good value for the $$ regarding quality. Plus distributors add a layer between the people who genuinely enjoy building these and the people who end up using them that dissconnect really hurts the builders who get ideas, energy and enjoyment hearing from owners out having adventures in the campers they built.

Agree 100% with this. I showed up first thing on delivery day to find the owner Rory doing some final detail work on the camper. It was fun to hang out with them and get to know them better something I doubt would happen with a larger builder.

STREGA

Explorer
Some more info on the camper and what I spec it out with.

I finally got around to weighing the camper and it came out to 2,140 lbs. which was about 100 lbs. less than Rory thought it would. This weight was with a empty water tank, full 20 lb. propane tank and no camping gear except a double sleeping bag/pillows. This leaves me about 880 lbs for passenger, dog and camping gear before I go over GVWR.

The list of Items camper ordered with:

1. Dual 6v batteries
2. 160 watt solar panel with option to be able to add more panels
3. XM radio/CD player with 4 speakers
4. Glass top sink and stove
5. Upgraded windows, insulated with integrated blinds/screens
6. Heki skylight
7. Overhead cabinet above sink/stove
8. Dometic 12v fridge
9. 20gal. watertank
10. Pre-wire for a portable solar panel
11. 12K BTU furnace
12. Port-a-potti

Standard items we deleted:

1. Water heater & exterior shower
2. Thetford cassette toilet
3. Camper jacks, left mounting brackets though

Changes made to basic Bunducamp model floorplan:

1. Converted from slide in camper to flatbed (tray) camper
2. Raised dinette seat and pull out table 12" (which made for a space to store extra shoes)
3. Added ex-large pass thru storage area with E-trac cargo tie down system
4. RV queen bed (6" shorter than normal queen} due to short cab over

The choices I made were based on 40+ years of previous camper, trailer, RTT and other stuff I have used. Hopefully I have chosen wisely.

Another small but kind of cool thing about this camper is that this is Bundutec's first flatbed camper, hardside or popup built for the U.S. market, all others were sent to Aussie Land.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Great looking camper. We are working with Rory and Jenn right now on our design and build. I too am doing a tray/flatbed version and like you, don't want any external tie-downs. Rory and Jenn both used your camper as an example with the "bolt" through system and I was curious if you could provide some pictures of how the camper is mounted to the flatbed.

We are working on a pop-up version of the BunduVry floorpan, with our own tweaks.

I really appreciate it and hope you are still liking your camper.

Jack

STREGA

Explorer
Great looking camper. We are working with Rory and Jenn right now on our design and build. I too am doing a tray/flatbed version and like you, don't want any external tie-downs. Rory and Jenn both used your camper as an example with the "bolt" through system and I was curious if you could provide some pictures of how the camper is mounted to the flatbed.

We are working on a pop-up version of the BunduVry floorpan, with our own tweaks.

I really appreciate it and hope you are still liking your camper.

Jack

Jack, not really anything special on the bolts for tying down the camper there is a total of 4 bolts. It sounds like in the land of Oz they use external tie downs on their tray/flatbed campers not really sure why. The wife has the truck today so will try to get some pics and post later.

Haven't had a chance to use the campy this winter but starting this March will be getting out a bunch, still lovin it! What changes/tweaks are you planning on your build?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Jack, not really anything special on the bolts for tying down the camper there is a total of 4 bolts. It sounds like in the land of Oz they use external tie downs on their tray/flatbed campers not really sure why. The wife has the truck today so will try to get some pics and post later.

Haven't had a chance to use the campy this winter but starting this March will be getting out a bunch, still lovin it! What changes/tweaks are you planning on your build?

I am trying avoid any external securement, but Rory did say that the four bolt system is a challenge to align if you have to remove/reinstall the camper, which I get; but like you, mine will stay on the tray for the most part. I appreciate any pictures you can take. I'm a visual kind of person.

I understand on the usage, as I haven't been able to get out much this last year either.

We are "adjusting" the BunduVry floorplan to be a pop-up and like you narrowing it to the 81" width and shortening it to 96" in (floor) length. Also, going to use our Waeco 50L on a slide in the area where they normally put the upright refrigerator. Getting the "artic pac" for the softwalls, using a Lithium battery, increasing the fresh water capacity with a filter system, additional solar panel, no permanent stove or toilet, doubling the propane to two upright 20lb'ers, and using the Truma system as well. That's it for the major stuff, otherwise, it's minor preference stuff.

Working with the tray manufacturer and Bundutec to ensure everything is compatible.

Jack

STREGA

Explorer
image.jpg

Jack, sorry wasn't able to get very good pics of the bolts. This one is from the large storage area, as you can see hopefully is it's a carriage style bolt with a extra large flat washer. The other end which is inside the underbed box, I couldn't get a clear photo of would just be a nut with a washer as well. I'm thinking of replacing the carriage bolt with a regular bolt.

Doug.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
View attachment 437097

Jack, sorry wasn't able to get very good pics of the bolts. This one is from the large storage area, as you can see hopefully is it's a carriage style bolt with a extra large flat washer. The other end which is inside the underbed box, I couldn't get a clear photo of would just be a nut with a washer as well. I'm thinking of replacing the carriage bolt with a regular bolt.

Doug.

Perfect. That is what I envisioned, but wanted to make sure I wasn't making it too simple.
Thank you,
Jack

kmacafee

Adventurer
My wife and I just visited Bundutec on our way home and Rory and Jenn are indeed, delightful. We originally planned to spend an hour or so and before we knew it, it was noon. I have sent them a drawing for what we want on our flatbed and cant wait to get their cost estimate. It took me awhile to get past the idea of wood construction but after seeing how Rory does it, I think it will work. That, plus the fact they are 3 hours from us makes it very attractive.

Question -- how has the camper performed? Any regrets? Any problems?

Thanks

Kevin

STREGA

Explorer
My wife and I just visited Bundutec on our way home and Rory and Jenn are indeed, delightful. We originally planned to spend an hour or so and before we knew it, it was noon. I have sent them a drawing for what we want on our flatbed and cant wait to get their cost estimate. It took me awhile to get past the idea of wood construction but after seeing how Rory does it, I think it will work. That, plus the fact they are 3 hours from us makes it very attractive.

Question -- how has the camper performed? Any regrets? Any problems?

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin,

Done right wood is a good way to build at a reasonable cost IMHO. So far our camper has performed well, did not get a chance to use it over the winter did take it out last weekend and the temps were around freezing at night and we stayed warm and comfy. Have a 10 day trip coming up in about 3 weeks which will give us more time to evaluate it better. As for regrets not really any but I would maybe have done a side door instead of the rear door. No big problems yet, the water tank drain valve dribbles and the trim piece around the sky light wants to come off (just need to get around to tweaking the clips holding it).

Doug

kmacafee

Adventurer
Thanks Doug.

I have asked them to do an estimate for a side door flat bed camper. Rory says he can do it.

Cheers

STREGA

Explorer
We're now on our 10 day trip to California. The 2 pics from our first night camp spot off Route 66 close to Oatman Az.

This is our first extended trip with the truck/camper and will be its shakedown cruise.

kmacafee

Adventurer
Ive put a deposit down on a side entrance flatbed at Bundutec. AlumaLine will build the flatbed -- we're adding storage boxes fore and aft of the wheels and a long wide drawer that pulls out the rear of the flatbed. We're eliminating grey and black water tanks and using our National Luna Fridge which will pull out on a slide. Its going on a 2015 Ram 3500 Crew Cab.

For attachments, I'm not crazy about trying to align the bolts if/when I decide to remove it and I dont like the Torklift method that attaches to the frame. Too much chance of that getting ripped off driving off road. Im going to have Aluma Line create 4 hardened attachment points on the flatbed and then use turnbuckles run from the jack plates to that point. They should be high enough and inboard enough not to get caught on anything.

Looking forward to getting this project done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles