GMT-800 tire selection

Mccool

Observer
Hello all,

I'm happy to see we have a number of chevy owners on here. I drive a 2005 z71 tahoe with a 1.5" key/spacer lift.

I'm having a hard time deciding on a tire size. I'm curious what everyone else is running? I've checked out the z71tahoe-sub forum, but most tire size posts start with "as long as you don't go offroad...".

Anyone running 285/75/17? I'm thinking they're probably too large to work. I've also looked at 255/75/17 and 285/70/17, these would fit I'm assuming?

Thanks

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Hello all,

I'm happy to see we have a number of chevy owners on here. I drive a 2005 z71 tahoe with a 1.5" key/spacer lift.

I'm having a hard time deciding on a tire size. I'm curious what everyone else is running? I've checked out the z71tahoe-sub forum, but most tire size posts start with "as long as you don't go offroad...".

Anyone running 285/75/17? I'm thinking they're probably too large to work. I've also looked at 255/75/17 and 285/70/17, these would fit I'm assuming?

Thanks

I think 285/75/17s should fit fine. The 75 has 1/2" more sidewall height, that shouldn't make a difference.
I'm running 285/75/16s and have plenty of room with a ~2" key lift and Z71 springs in the back of my Suburban. In fact, my 285/75/16s actually look kind of small, I'm now wishing I'd gone up to 34" tires instead of 33's.

XJLI

Adventurer
I put 285/70-17s on my Z71 Silverado, no level or lift, only had to trim some plastic in the front wheel well. I actually just cranked the torsion bars 2 turns a couple weeks ago and gave it about 1" up front to level it out a little, but that was for aesthetics not to fit the tires. With a 1.5" kit I wouldn't go any smaller than that, the 34x10.5s would fit even better because they're the same width as stock tires but taller. I originally wanted to get that size but stayed with the 285/70 because my truck has 3.42 gears.

I can stuff em just fine, you shouldn't have any issues either.
Pj65PXyl.jpg

I put 285/70-17s on my Z71 Silverado, no level or lift, only had to trim some plastic in the front wheel well. I actually just cranked the torsion bars 2 turns a couple weeks ago and gave it about 1" up front to level it out a little, but that was for aesthetics not to fit the tires. With a 1.5" kit I wouldn't go any smaller than that, the 34x10.5s would fit even better because they're the same width as stock tires but taller. I originally wanted to get that size but stayed with the 285/70 because my truck has 3.42 gears.

I can stuff em just fine, you shouldn't have any issues either.
Pj65PXyl.jpg

Noticed you're on LI, what beach is that picture of yours from? I'm on LI too and looking to do some off-roading in my Tahoe

03tahoe

I would second the recommendation for 285/75R16 or 285/70R17. They are common, fit without rubbing through the full range of travel and turning, and keep the RMPs reasonable even with stock gearing. I have 285/75R16 and 4.10 gears. This combination provides plenty of power for the hills and mountains around where I live. I have considered going to a ~34" tires but there are fewer options at that size. If you want to go for a ~35" diameter I would recommend looking at the 285/75R18.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Our Z-71s came with 265/70-17s as stock, and they are working quite well. You lose about 1/4" of ground clearance vs a 285, save about $75-100 per set.
I might go up to 285 with my next set, just for the added width / contact patch. But 3yrs and about 20k mi into my Yokohama Geolandar A/Ts, they're wearing very little. I might consider selling them off while they are still useful, rather than leaving them on the vehicle until the Sun does them in.

bald.eagle

Observer
I’m running 285/75R16s on a 0 offset 16x8 wheel. 2002 LT 4x4 with lift torsion keys and 2” rear coil spacers. No rubbing issues. Great stance with the wider wheelset, but I regret my tire choice. Went with Cooper Discoverer ATP and I’ve had some wear issues even withhold alignment and frequent rotation. Looks like Cooper discontinued that tread design though, I suspect the wear was the reason.

I’ve considered replacing with a 255/85R16 next go around, I like the wider 285 appearance-wise but wonder if that might help negate some rolling resistance and help MPG.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I am running Ford F-150 keys to level up the front. 1" spring spacers under the rear coils and 1.5" wheel spacers (3" total) on the back. I did heat and form the innerfender on the back for some light rub under full articluation.

nitto2.jpg

Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75-17

bumper3.jpg

With the stock front bumper I had a little inner fender trim for clearance during a turn and stuff up front. With the aftermarket front bumper I have lots of room.

Been working well for me the last 20k miles. I will likely go the the Ridge Grapplers next set. Slightly more aggressive.

I would suggest that you go to 17" wheels for the caliper clearance. That way you can run the '07 front rotors and calipers. That delivers the stopping power we really need.

Last edited:

Mccool

Observer
Lots of good info guys, thank you. Sorry if it's a topic frequently discussed.

I am running the stock 17" wheels and will continue to do so. Unfortunately, the 285/75/17 size isn't a common one. I'd love to do the 34x10.5x17 ko2's but at >$300 a piece, it's not happening.

Mccool

Observer
Henryj, are you only running wheel spacers in the rear? What's the reasoning behind that? Great looking avy by the way

I am running 1.25" wheel spacers by the way

Mccool

Observer
Rayra, I have considered sticking with the stock 265/70/17 size, as they are cheap and common. But they look a tad small in the wheel wells now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles