5th Gen 4Runner Recovery Points

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I'm looking for bolt on recovery points for the front of my 5th Gen 4Runner. An aftermarket front bumper is probably a long way off, if ever. Yes, I've heard and read many times that the front loops welded to the frame are plenty strong for recovery. I'm just shy about using something that looks like a tie-down loop for recovery. Plus, my driver's manual says those are for tying the vehicle down on a flat bed. This weekend I witnessed a recovery using an improper frame mounting point and it resulted in damage to the vehicle (not a 4Runner, but still) and I'd rather not be in that situation. So, has anyone used any of the ARB recovery points? Another brand?

Thanks in advance!

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Okay, I'll ask a different question. Does anyone know if the FJ recovery points will bolt up to the 5th Gen 4Runner frame? What about the Prado 150/4Runner frame?

Thanks, again

chunko

Observer
Okay, I'll ask a different question. Does anyone know if the FJ recovery points will bolt up to the 5th Gen 4Runner frame? What about the Prado 150/4Runner frame?

Thanks, again

I had to look for a while for pictures of what the front tow loops look like on the 5th gen, but based on a picture from SSO's slimline bumper install instructions, they look very similar to the later 4th gen/ GX470 tow loops but can't be certain.

Where are you in SoCal? I'm in Riverside and have a pair of thesesitting in my garage awaiting install on my GX: .

We could do a test fit or I could just take some measurements for you to see if they will work for you. Note that because our factory tow loops angle down, they need to be cut to allow for the installation of a shackle into the Trail Tailor point.

This thread on MUD has more information, including pictures of what I tried to explain above: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/vendor-trail-tailor.1005518/page-2.

Picture of an installed one: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/vendor-trail-tailor.1005518/page-5

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I didn't think of the GX; great idea! And I work in Riverside. I'd love it if we could connect and compare the mounting points; thanks!

Dalko43

Explorer
I know Toyota lists the 2 front and 1 rear hooks as tie-down hooks. They look beefy enough and attach to the frame, so as long as the weight is distributed, I wouldn't hesitate to use the stock hooks in a pinch.

I do recall seeing aftermarket recovery points for the LC 200. Haven't seen anything for the 5th gen 4runner/LC Prado yet.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I had to look for a while for pictures of what the front tow loops look like on the 5th gen, but based on a picture from SSO's slimline bumper install instructions, they look very similar to the later 4th gen/ GX470 tow loops but can't be certain.

Where are you in SoCal? I'm in Riverside and have a pair of thesesitting in my garage awaiting install on my GX: .

We could do a test fit or I could just take some measurements for you to see if they will work for you. Note that because our factory tow loops angle down, they need to be cut to allow for the installation of a shackle into the Trail Tailor point.

This thread on MUD has more information, including pictures of what I tried to explain above: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/vendor-trail-tailor.1005518/page-2.

Picture of an installed one: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/vendor-trail-tailor.1005518/page-5

@chunko Thanks again for showing me those recovery points! I really appreaciate you taking time out of your afternoon to meet up! For anyone following this thread, we confirmed that the recovery points for the GX470 do not match up with the 5th Gen 4Runner. I'm going to contact Trail Tailor about recovery points for the 5th Gen.

Cletus26

Adventurer
I’d suggest getting a Bubba rope. The pull is so smooth with the extra stretch that you can fell much safer even with the factory hooks. Even if you do upgrade I believe a high stretch rope (doesn’t have to be bubba brand) is a must have. Once you use one you’ll never go back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94