Anyone use this type of military truck?? M934

chrisquested

Observer
So I am curious to see if anyone has had any real life experience with this military vehicle? its a M934 expandable box van from the military.

Wondering whats the actual top speed?
Whats the MPG?
Any build links of converting?

Yes I have searched found very very few.....

m939_5526.jpg

Hnoroian

Observer
Family experience... Cousins refurbished them.

Depending on year engine (multi fuel, turbo) tranny (manual, automatic) tires, expect 55-60 mph and 8-10(if you're lucky). Search for 2.5 ton or 5 ton military trucks. Not many conversions but they are out there. They are also heavy, uncomfortable and loud going down the road. But fun and go anywhere they can fit and can not fit.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
So I am curious to see if anyone has had any real life experience with this military vehicle? its a M934 expandable box van from the military.

Wondering whats the actual top speed?
Whats the MPG?
Any build links of converting?

Yes I have searched found very very few.....

View attachment 425179

When I was in the Army the Chaplin had one. It was roomy inside. I only say it in the field once, never say it move. This was back in the late 90s on early 2000s.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I drove them and worked in them when I was in the Army. Driving a truck that big through the narrow cobblestone streets of little German villages was....interesting, let's say. ;)
Ditto for driving them through Korean villages (although since most villages in Korea were destroyed during the war, they were usually rebuilt with wider, truck-friendly streets.)
Inside is roomy once expanded but very drafty in the Winter and hot in the Summer.
I think the farthest I ever had to drive one was about 140km (85 miles) from Ansbach to Kirchenthumbach (near Grafenwoehr.) Took us probably 4 hours at convoy speeds. Not much fun. Forget about having a conversation or listening to music in the cab - you'd better be comfortable with your own thoughts because that's all you're going to hear.

(none)

Adventurer
fun for a period of time...

2.5 ton (deuce):
-most are multiful, run on about anything flamable if needed.
-all except the last ones are all manual trans, manual steering
-air over hyd brakes

5 ton
-auto trans, power steering
-full air brakes

All are slow and loud. Deuce is louder due to exhaust outlet location. I always wore ear protection in either. As mentioned, they have heat, but it only works in the summer...

Augdog1964

I have owned 4 5 tons... never an M934, but the cargo trucks, a wrecker, and a dump truck...

They are loud, built by the lowest bidder, had spotty and sometimes terrible maintenance and treatment, some parts can be hard to find, and they rust and break without even using them...

They age on the lot and won't start due to their terrible PCB system...

Cool as heck, and comfortable for 18 years old or under... after that they ride like crap and uncomfortable as crap...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles