Newer tech high efficiency THIN insulation

Freebird

Adventurer
R-16 insulation value from 5 mm of insulation with very thin reflective foil on both sides!
Read that again. FIVE mm of insulation gives R-16 value! R-16 !
5mm equals LESS than a quarter inch! .197" to be more precise.

Whatever small space your insulating, don't make it substantially smaller with THICK foam insulation (or any other thick insulation).
The smaller the space, the more important THIN insulation becomes!

http://www.insulation4less.com/Insulation4lessProduct-1-Prodex-Total-48-Inch.aspx

My cousin is using this insulation for a big metal building. Very noticeable difference.

If we had a "Camper Building Materials" category, I would post this there, but I don't see one....

randy h

I was pretty excited about that R value as well. But if you read on their Fact vs Fiction page, that R value was achieved with a 2.64" air space on each side.

"FACT #5: Prodex Total insulation 5mm has an R-value of 16.

The R-value was measured under the real-world parameters of:

24-inch on center 2" x 6" wood assembly. Roof application. Test Method ASTM 1116. Airspace of 2.64 inch on each side of product. Heat flow direction down."

I sure wish it were achievable without the air space.

randy

Rando

Explorer
There is nothing particularly new, revolutionary or amazing here - just a radiant barrier. As was pointed out, the insulative properties are primarily from the dead air space on both sides of the product. Any radiative barrier will have similar results (think reflectix) they just don't advertise these numbers as they are misleading. The actual conductive R value of this would be ~1 based on 5mm of closed cell foam. With 5" total, you could easily get R30 using standard polyisocyanurate insulation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles