1995 Gen 2 SR Intro

Obetski

Observer
Hi, just bought a 1995 Gen 2 SR. What should I be aware of this rig? or I guess what do I have to watch out? I owned Gen 3 and the only problem I had was the temp gauge shoots up all the way to the top but besides that I'm happy with it.

Thanks in advance :cool::cool::cool:

1. Make sure cooling is up to snuff for wheeling
2. Crank Key should be updated if it has not
3. Of course no chances on timing belt
4. Valve seals may need replaced

Other then that and any other old car maintenance, start building!

Swift_45a

Observer
I'd recommend making sure the locker is fully functional and disengage and engage several times while creeping, also after not driving my rig for long periods at a time and just starting it (6+ months) my 4wd became 'sticky' and could only disengage after putting it in neutral on a hill and letting it roll a bit backwards. If this wasn't in an enthusiasts hands, I'm sure it was in 2wd most of its life. Over drive was fine since I've mine, but I'm told that can be an issue to?

Make sure the adjustable struts are still working; also make sure the aux plug in the rear cabin is working, I didn't check mine when i first bought mine and just assume it'd work and was rudely surprised on my first surf outing in her. Check moon roof rails are properly lubbed and it slides freely in/out, mine has the issue in the last 2-3'' I still haven't gotten to properly seat. Look over front suspension and replace anything with a torn boot or leaking bushing, this really improves how she handles, I never noticed how bad mine was until I dailyed it for a month and noticed how bad mine was as I only drove it for surf trips. Maybe check that funny auto-locking thing that happens on most gen 2 trucks.

How/where dies she idle?

I really need to get back home to SoCal and meet up with you guys and do a tech day and just wrench and go wheeling after. I just haven't been able to find the time this year at all. Only went to NorCal this year for a few days and most of that was in meetings.

Other than that MFSR covered the essential basics.

kalieracer

Observer
big issue are the crank bolts and the intake manifold. If it is leaking air, it will need to be replaced or rebushinged. Otherwise it will drive a butterfly valve in the motor and kill it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier