Who wants to sell their Fuso?

The Artisan

Adventurer
Hi Kevin. Thanks for jumping in.
I'll keep my budget to myself for now. How about more, (any) details on exactly what you have for sale. I can wait for something really good.
That's fair. Since the pods and the 4x4 are custom built skies the limit. My main core business is automotive upholstery and restorations so I could pretty much build you what you want within reason. https://www.picstoc.com/user/compositepods/6321442207.
My project that will be for sale will be the prototype mounted pod, completed with all the specs on the first page of my build. Mounted on the custom flatbed 07 fuso converted to 4x4.
Kevin

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I would certainly consider the Mercedes. As you stated, my biggest concerns would be parts availability and serious lack of power.

Terry Lee Enterprises (Rob Pickering) can get you anything you need. Bill Caid has been operating his 1017A in the US for 7+ years now, big trips every year and no major issues getting a part (unless they were being shipped through Texas during a Hurricane).

On the 'surplus' firetrucks, most have less then 30,000km, so probably only the 'rubber' needs changing due to age, and perhaps some things in the air system. But also the fire departments keep up on the maintenance, my truck with <30,000 km has had most of those items replaced anyway.

They are never going to blast up a hill (but neither will a Fuso). I think the 'axles' are the most important thing. Mine has fast (4.8) axles and with 395/85-20 XZL (46") it will cruise in the 55-60 mph range and can hit 65-68 mph (by GPS) with an OM352A-(168hp) at 15,000 lbs. The XZLs are only rated to 55 mph anyway. My 2002 Fuso FG with 37" tires cruises a little faster, but I don't like it much over 60 anyway. The newer Fuso (post '07) are hot rods compared to that.

Once you are in the 240hp range (as Joe917 pointed out) either by buying a truck with that engine rating to start, or 'tweaking' (add an intercooler, 'adjusting' the pump, 5 nozzle injectors, etc) I think you are in the sweet spot. There are plenty of MB trucks overseas with 240 to 320 hp stock.
Yup, they will never be 'Merican high horsepower monsters, but no Cabover 4x4s for us.

And yup! I think there is a market for 'converted' cabovers. Inexpensive 2x4 Fusos, Isuzus (and Chevy version), etc, converted to 4x4 with an American powerplant and American axles with all of the aftermarket goodies you can buy for them (power upgrades, lockers, suspension, etc), would be a nice turn key vehicle. It sounded like Rebel Offroad was going down that path, but it seems like it died ? (http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/144320-Isuzu-NPR-4x4-Beast!-Rebelzilla-by-Rebel-Off-Road )

Last edited:

Mattersnots

Adventurer
That's fair. Since the pods and the 4x4 are custom built skies the limit. My main core business is automotive upholstery and restorations so I could pretty much build you what you want within reason. https://www.picstoc.com/user/compositepods/6321442207.
My project that will be for sale will be the prototype mounted pod, completed with all the specs on the first page of my build. Mounted on the custom flatbed 07 fuso converted to 4x4.
Kevin

I'm going to pass on the truck and pod for now. I'm looking for a stock medium or heavy duty 4x4. I've been on the conversion road before and don't want to go down it again. If nothing else shakes loose I may ask more about the pods down the road. For now I'm holding out for a mounted box on a factory chassis.

Mattersnots

Adventurer
You make some great points mog. I've seen Joe's 917 and really liked it. I may end up with something like that but I'm not willing to do the whole process from scratch. I'll take a different path rather than importing a Mercedes and building a box. My idea with this thread is to shake the expedition truck tree and see if anything good falls out. It's been well worth it as I've made some worthwhile connections through private messages.

The Artisan

Adventurer
I'm going to pass on the truck and pod for now. I'm looking for a stock medium or heavy duty 4x4. I've been on the conversion road before and don't want to go down it again. If nothing else shakes loose I may ask more about the pods down the road. For now I'm holding out for a mounted box on a factory chassis.
Cool no worries was just throwing it out there. Good luck on your search...
Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles