Ford e350 frame versus Chevy 3500 frame

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Lets get nuts already and build a Chevrolet with a DURAMAX...... I sure have beat the hell out of the ford van though and had the roof cave in before any frame issues? Any time you want to ride in a Cadillac Like chevrolet 4x4 IFS come on by.....

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I'm confused, does the strength of the frame (both are very strong) effect the thought process of buying one or the other?
Or does the drive train, on board equipment and overall usability / performance do?
If the strength of the frame doesn't matter when purchasing then why the question?

Len.Barron

Observer
Or does the drive train, on board equipment and overall usability / performance do?
These should be the primary factors in selecting your van. Ford/GM/Dodge all have millions of miles on their full size van lines so most of the real problems have been worked out.
There were a few reasons I went with GM:
1. I've owned 4 duramax powered vehicles and they are just plain awesome so there was no "choice" in what maker I was going to buy...it would for sure be GM
2. I wanted the best towing configuration, the 155" wb express/savana puts the rear axle as far back in the chassis as possible which is the best configuration for managing tongue weight and for off camber trailering.
3. I prefer good visibility to privacy so a 15 passenger van was a must to get all the windows I wanted.
4. I wanted to be able to stand up without stooping and didn't want to have to deploy a poptop to do it so a 30" hightop was needed.
5. I won't tolerate rust (I grew up in southern michigan) so a local/west coast rig was a must
-
Things that worked against me:
1. There is no 4x4 "kit" for the GM like there is for Ford (UJoint has really done a great job with the E series)
2. There were no duramax powered passenger vans prior to 2011 and of the ones 2011 and later with hightops the prices were completely out of control (0ver $40k here on the west coast) so I had to build my own
3. Of the 4x4 GM vans out there only quigley converted IFS rigs were available, I wasn't at all impressed with their work and was unwilling to pay a premium for it, so again I had to DIY it.

I honestly wish I was a Powerstroke guy...it would have made life a lot easier, I would have bought a 2001-ish 7.3 equipped E350 hightop and then called UJoint and ordered one of his kits..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke