Vanilla Gorilla: 2017 Power Wagon build

Tex68w

Beach Bum
yeah, dual rear swing out and the yet to be released powerwagon specific high clearance expedition one bumper. i know people.

Intrigued, that's why I was looking at the Kinzer because I didn't want to relocate the winch when it's already in an ideal spot. Nice to know that they will be offering a similar bumper that leaves the winch in the factory location.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
things are in motion now!

the lock rings showed up and boy are they pretty

Untitled by Will Marshal, on Flickr

keen eyes will note that i forgot to put the valve cores and TPMS sensors in at this point, and had to take them back apart.

for those that are unfamiliar with the function of a beadlock, its important to discern that these are totally different than the safety shelf that comes milled into the stock power wagon wheels. While the Power Wagon wheels can retain a bead safely at a lower pressure, its only a mild increase in ability. The traditional beadlock wheel, like the Trail Ready uses the traditional bead retention of a standard wheel on the inside bead, but the outside bead is mechanically clamped by the lock ring. when assembling the wheel its really important that you make sure that the lip of the tire isn't riding up on the lock ring surface like this

but it seated around it like this

next is the hardware, gold zinc

I also took the liberty of clocking the lock rings logo where the valve stem was to make for an easy way to know where to find the hidden black stem against the black wheel

the Trail Ready HD20's have 28 outside bolts that need to be tightened in a star pattern until the ring seats flush against the face of the wheel. if its gapped at all, it will fatigue the grade 8 bolts and you could sheer them

20 pounds is the ticket

they're so pretty

next up, the prototype LED's showed up that i was mentioning before. These are 3000Lm and 5800K bulbs. Another cool feature is that they can be clocked 360 degrees to ensure that the emitters are in the same orientation as the filaments in the exiting bulbs. im going to try and get these on this afternoon. These are from a company named Profile, and this is their PEAK model. comes with a 3 year warranty or 30,000 burn hours.

also grabbed some Morimoto anti flicker harnesses for the PWM on the PW

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Those wheels are slick.

I feel like such a poser now with the faux beadlocks with those same bolts on my Method Grids...

Kingsize24

Very nice! Let me know how your Falkens wear. I'll do the same. I'm hoping to get 25k-30k out of them. Your wheels are absolutely fantastic!

20180222_115120.jpg

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Pics on the truck or none of this matters lol. Those came out very nice. I love the look of Trail ready beadlocks, I had a set on my FJC, only bead locks to not give me any issues.

Explorerinil

Observer
Awesome set up, let us know how you like the falkens, I’ve been following them on the carli blog, nothing but positive reviews. I run Toyo on all my vehicles now, but am open to change.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
got them on! it was a cooler day than i expected. we got a dusting of snow last night that immediately started melting as soon as the sun came up. so everything was wet and humid. When the old wheels came off i was expecting to need to paint the raw steel hubs black - but i was also expecting it to be 55 and sunny. needless to say the install progress was heavily impeded by waiting for paint to dry, as well as methodically hammering back the pinch weld in the wheel well. i got it mostly out of the way - but im going to revisit it possibly tomorrow or next weekend to hammer it back all the way, higher up (i need a heavier sledge)

otherwise, im really pleased with how it turned out. the Falkens are incredibly quiet (as expected) compared to the duratracs, and roll smooth and true. So far im running them unbalanced and i haven't experienced any vibration through 75mph. I have to run to Lowe's tomorrow so i'll get it on the highway and see how she rolls then

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Very nice! Let me know how your Falkons wear. I'll do the same. I'm hoping to get 25k-30k out of them. Your wheels are absolutely fantastic!

20180222_115120.jpg

if i get less than 40k out of these i'll be severely disappointed. but they're also load range E, vs your D - so a slightly harder compound.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
As expected, it looks freaking awesome!!! I actually caught the pics on ForgeOverland on IG before seeing them here, so it's already making the rounds on social media. Seeing yours built out just fuels my desire to get mine moving along as well, these trucks look awesome built up.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
As expected, it looks freaking awesome!!! I actually caught the pics on ForgeOverland on IG before seeing them here, so it's already making the rounds on social media. Seeing yours built out just fuels my desire to get mine moving along as well, these trucks look awesome built up.

That’s my IG.

Thanks for the kind words!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles