HOW DID YOU SET UP YOUR TRUCK CAP / CAMPER ?

General Automag

Adventurer
We're thinking that the truck cap/camper is a viable alternative to setting up an "overland" rig. They're affordable, customizable, and well, a lot of us have pickup trucks. How did you set up your truck cap/camper?

1. What's your primary purpose of your rig and setup? (how long do you camp/travel and where do you go)
2. How long do you use it at one time?
3. Your sleeping setup? (how many people, mattress, materials, etc.)
4. Water? (do you carry on-board water, electric pumps, etc.)
5. Cooler or fridge freezer setup? (where is it placed, how do you power it, etc.)
6. Storage compartments and drawers?
7. On-board power, batteries, inverters, chargers, solar, etc.?
8. Lighting?
8. Ventilation and insulation?
9. Essential gear or must-have modifications?
10. Your plan for going #1 and #2 ? (do you take your wife/girlfriend with you when you travel)
11. In and out access and any tailgate concerns or mods?

***Bonus*** Feel free to add anything else that you think makes your rig awesome! Pictures make it better... :))

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-28 at 3.48.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-10-28 at 3.48.43 PM.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

JAngeli

Observer
Keeping an eye on this topic. Setting up my truck for more remote fishing trips in Northern Ontario.

HNewman

My first post here after years of reading!

I'm sure with a few searches on google images you have come up with 1000 ideas. To answer the questions I can for you

First truck bed rig the main goal was to be able to quickly disassemble. Two 2x4s wedged in slightly lower than the top of the bed and a sheet of 3/4in plywood sat on top with two foam mattress pads on top. Its a great way started cheap and see how you like sleeping in the truck. Plus it can slide right out when you need to haul big loads (for me it was motorcycles). Starting off you can just use plastic bins under the bed to organize. I think it is important to start simple so you get an idea of what you want personally.

Keep in mind sleeping in the back of the truck is still kinda stuffy compared to throwing up a tent or just on the ground next to the fire (my preference when weather permits). I like to think of the truck bed as more of a bad weather backup sleeping space personally. Sure is great to have a nice space all ready to go when the big storm rolls in. Otherwise the bed can be some extra storage space.

I just sold my fully built van so I am itching to start my next project. Currently I am in the process of building a more permanent set up for my latest truck project. I will be happy to share pics and ideas as my process goes on. I have a lot of drawings and ideas but hoping to draw more inspiration by joining this discussion.

Current ideas I have previously used or plan to use in the future:
-Hand pump water is awesome, cheap, and saves your power bank
-I stainless mixing bowl makes a cheap sink that is just the right size, cut a hole in the bottom and use a bar sink drain and a camper style trap will thread right on
-Foam mattresses or mattress pads are cheap and can be cut to any size or shape you like
-RV style roof vents are easy to install and add natural light during the day (more than you may think)
-Having a slim folding table is way worth it instead of using the tailgate or any interior work space
-Reaching way back under a platform is really lame (stuff tends to slide toward the cab as you drive). Build some kind of slide out weather its one big space or is broken up for organization.
-Keep in mind it is nice to be able to remove essential gear quickly when you are going to take another vehicle or ride along with friends
-Do you really need some sort of stove slide out or do you mostly like to cook over the fire????

I hope this is a good start and helps spark some ideas.
I wont even start on solar because there are already way too many resources for that and it is not going to be included in my current build.

I'll share pics soon! I have some old build pics I could share as well if anyone is interested i can try to dig some up.

Ashton

A bunch of 8' 2x4's that have carpet on one side are slid in and out of the bed as needed. I put a futon and a memory foam on top of that and cover it with 2-3 blankets and copious pillows and it fits myself, the better half and our dog. We are basic, if not minimalist, packers and take a chuckbox and a cooler most times (on multi day journeys) and just enough gear to keep the mouth and face clean. If the woman isn't with me, I will sometimes pack down to my 48h ruck with one good meal and plenty of small snacks. Depending on the trip, a cooler with ice (lasts about 2 days) with food is my trip meter - when it's empty, it is time to go home. Water is always needed, I'm sure you know the old sayings, so we take a 5gal Coleman camp jug, if it is just me a 3l bladder goes in my ruck and I have a lifestraw. I haven't done this kit in the desert yet and I assume my h2o requirements would be higher there. If we are feeling fancy, we fill the 5 gallon Coleman camp solar shower (the black bag variety) and throw that in the sun when we get parked. A smattering of basic wrenches and sockets in a plastic bin, a bit of extra fluid that would do no good, some other 'keep the camp clean' items and our shotgun are in the rig somewhere on every journey.

We have no fancy kit, and some of that is a problem. Without rescue gear my fear always over rules my gusto, probably for the better. We have taken multi day trips to remote (by local standards) places and I think that is about the limit the rig is set for now. I hope to have some of that changed by spring - we shall see.

Dunno if that ticks all your boxes.

BtpDhanh.jpg

iERjj4uh.jpg

HKptCb2h.jpg

h1PrtF2h.jpg

ApC8Ab8h.jpg

uz67nIcl.jpg

RCWlDbXl.jpg

southpier

Expedition Leader
"...Without rescue gear my fear always over rules my gusto, probably for the better. ..."

I think if more people came to that realization there would be less ... YouTube videos, anyway!

maybe invest in a sheet of plywood; everything else seems to make perfect sense.

Ashton

"...Without rescue gear my fear always over rules my gusto, probably for the better. ..."

I think if more people came to that realization there would be less ... YouTube videos, anyway!

maybe invest in a sheet of plywood; everything else seems to make perfect sense.

I am brave and brash, but not stupid. This helps me return home safe, but certainly makes my trip reports less interesting :p

I want to make some sort of platform with some basic storage, but I use this truck for all sorts of things when I'm not boondocking/adventuring. If I can find some fiberboard that is super light and tough enough, I'll build a frame and just extract it when I'm putting the truck to work. Thanks for the info, a sheet of plywood would serve the same as those boards, weigh less and be easier to insert/extract. I could carpet one side of it. I have also looked at a hammock in the bed, but I sleep on my side mostly and so that's less feasible.

Oh, and to address the 1's and 2's... we dig holes, or camp near facilities. We haven't gotten any potty accessories yet, but I think one of those seats that goes over the hole so you don't have to squat as much will be on my short list of upgrades. I prefer to make my constitutionals a comfort, not a challenge.

Some musings

The MDR is a short-bed (6.5’) with a SnugTop Cab-hi shell. Has served me well for 20 years over all kinds of terrain. Here are my thoughts on that set-up:
*I have a BedRug that makes sleeping directly on the “floor” easy. I use an REI 3.5” camp pad. Sitting up is not a problem unless I bring the cot. Then I cannot sit up. A hi-rise shell would remedy that...I cannot find one for my Chevy. :(
*I have used all sorts of containers for my gear and have settled on a mix of Wolf Paks, Cub Paks, and collapsible paks from Front Runner. They stack, seal relatively well, and can be tied down easily. I cannot emphasize how important it is to do this, always. Loose gear can wreak havoc on other gear and your shell windows.
*My travels have frequently taken me to remote locations requiring water self-sufficiency. I use the 4-gal Reliance water containers. The larger 7-gal are quite heavy if you have to carry them for any distance. I toy with the idea of a tank located within a cabinet but I also use my trucks as a truck and need an empty bed.
*The starting battery in the MDR has powered the ARB fridge...but it doesn’t particularly like to do so. I will probably build a 2nd battery capability in the Chevy. It has a camper connection in the bed already with a simple solenoid separator under the hood. You should consider whether your travels will include a fridge or an ice chest. BTW: I have a Coleman ”UltraXtreme” that can keep things cold with block of ice and some cubes for up to 5 days. Soggy but inexpensive.
*On the MDR, I have an ARB awning attached to roof racks on passenger side. I also carry an EZ-Up for the rear. Shade is welcome on hot days.

You can go many places with your set-up. Make notes each time out of things missed and others not used. And have fun. :sombrero:

CSG

Explorer
While I don't have this rig any longer (owned it from 1980 to 1988), I had a Mitsubishi p/u (Plymouth Arrow) set up with a camper shell and carpet kit. Traveled with backpacks and little else. The shell and carpet kit were like these from Bel Air camper in SoCal.

CC1.229215619_std.jpg

Lee_anderson_carpet_kit.223101515_std.jpg

I am considering driving down to SoCal and outfitting my 2001 GMC with the above set-up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke