Are there any 39" or 6' Wide Awnings on the market?

Robert Bills

Explorer
I have a '46 Bantam trailer with covered wagon style canvas top and Yakima style bars to which I am in the process of mounting an old school Conferr 6' long roof rack.

I need a 6' awning to mount on the passenger side of the rack. ARB, Smittybilt, etc. have 6.5' awnings, which are too long for my use.

Are there any commercially available 6' wide awnings?

Also, are there any commercially available 36"-39" awnings? Doubtful, but if so I would buy one for the rear of the trailer so that I can use my chuckbox without getting wet or sunburned.

HPIM0129.JPG

HPIM0141.JPG

HPIM0146.JPG

If none are commercially available in the widths I need I will probably go "old school" and have some made to use regular tent poles and 90 degree awning rail:

[imghttps://cdn3.volusion.com/wckp9.3xkgs/v/vspfiles/photos/VTS-876-2T.jpg?1466418338[/img]

Something like this, but without the scallops:

VTS-400-2T.jpg

outback97

Adventurer
Just curious, but why not the 6.5'? Aesthetic reasons or will it interfere with something else running perpendicular to it?

I haven't seen either of those sizes, but maybe someone else here knows of some options. ARB and others have the 1.25 and 2 meter as you know, and I'm sure one could disassemble and cut those down, with some effort, to make a custom size. At that point DIY might be the way to go.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Just curious, but why not the 6.5'? Aesthetic reasons or will it interfere with something else running perpendicular to it?

The trailer tub and the rack are both 72" in length. I don't want the awning to extend beyond the forward edge of the tub and rack due to potential contact with the tow rig in a tight off camber turn, and I don't want it to extend past the trailing edge of the tub and rack for aesthetic reasons and also in the event I am able to come up with a rear awning in which case a longer side awning would interfere.

Everything I am finding is 6.5' wide, but I'm no expert on awnings and am hoping that you guys might know of something that would work.

One option for a side awning might be a Shadyboy Awning, which has a 49" housing and folds out to a 10' wide awning with a 6' projection, but I can't find a price online. I am also concerned that it might be too light weight for offroad use.

58-vanagoncloseup.jpeg

happiercamper_theawning.jpg

If all else fails, there is also the option of the Ezy-Awning offered by Busdepot.com. It is 8x8 and only $120, but it is not permanently affixed to a trailer or vehicle so it is much more of a hassle to set up and take down. One might as well use an E-Z Up canopy instead.

awning-4.jpg

Also, if I can't find a roll out awning that fits, I might have to consider a Kirkham Auto Canopy ($150, http://www.kirkhams.com/made-in-america/kirkhams-auto-canopy. It is the perfect width (6'), and certainly old school, but not as convenient as th ARB, Smittybilt, etc. awnings.

43990003.jpg

43990003-4.jpg

43990003-2.jpg

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
One option for a side awning might be a Shadyboy Awning, which has a 49" housing and folds out to a 10' wide awning with a 6' projection, but I can't find a price online. I am also concerned that it might be too light weight for offroad use.

58-vanagoncloseup.jpeg

happiercamper_theawning.jpg

I have the shady boy and use it on my old LC...
It has held up really good to every environment except to really windy conditions... 40+mile winds...
20170725_153046.jpg

Last edited:

Tkhawk

Adventurer
You might check out these guys, it looks like they do custom sizes. I've got a 6.5" 270 degree ordered from them so I can't speak to the quality yet.
Screenshot_20171116-202515.jpg

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
It would be easy to cut down the shady boy awning housing to 39 inches and then sew the corners in a bit to match. You wouldn't be able to store the fiberglass struts inside the shorter housing - but they can be stored elsewhere which I've done on mine sometimes anyways as it makes packing it away quicker and easier.

My shady boy is over 10 years old and is still 8n good shape. I did replace a couple of pop rivets with stainless steel bolts after a violent wind storm - but it was an easy repair and made it stronger. I should of had the tie-down ropes on it but was napping when the wind hit.

Robert Bills

Explorer
You might check out these guys, it looks like they do custom sizes. I've got a 6.5" 270 degree ordered from them so I can't speak to the quality yet.
View attachment 425509

Interesting. Let us know what you think when yours arrives. I would be a bit nervous about dealing with a company from Venezuela that only has social media presence and no listed website or physical location.

You may consider the Rhino Rack Dome 1300. It's 51" wide packaged up but then unrolled it 'domes' up and widens towards the end. Makes for a fairly practical solution if you can't mount a full 6.5' awning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles