Electronic rear lockers vs. a "limited slip differential"?

rkj__

Adventurer
My GM pick up had the OEM auto-locking diff. I was pretty happy with it off road. You just needed to keep on the throttle long enough to get the wheelspin required to lock it up. It's a little awkward for rock crawling, but most don't do a lot of that. On road, the abrupt engagement was not ideal, but I still liked it better than an open diff.

After a few years, the locker stopped working, and it behaved as an open diff. I hated that. Even on wet roads, trying to accelerate quickly from a stop, and spinning up one wheel only annoyed me.

I then had a TrueTrac installed. I really like it's performance on road. It activates very seamlessly, and pretty consistently. Before I was really used to it, I did spin out once though. I know how to control it better now. Off road it is decent, but it is useless once I lift a wheel, which I don't like.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Theoretician

Adventurer
I drove the land rovers in the Overland expo test track and my biggest complaint was that, due to the automatic systems, I could never get a handle on what the steering radius was or where the vehicle clear would go with a given steering and throttle input. The lockers worked great once they engaged, but they would engage in the middle of an obstacle and then disengage when I stopped. Given time I'm sure that I could learn how to trick the system into doing what I want it to do, but I'd rather have a selectable system that will do what I want it to do, when I want it to do so, without requiring the wheel spin that tears up trails.

Swapping power wagon lockers into the ram would be a good solution if it's compatible and you're comfortable with opening up the diffs on a brand new truck, but I rather have the Ford e-locker than go through all of that.

Meili

Adventurer
"I then had a TrueTrac installed. I really like it's performance on road. It activates very seamlessly, and pretty consistently. Before I was really used to it, I did spin out once though. I know how to control it better now. Off road it is decent, but it is useless once I lift a wheel, which I don't like. "

If you left foot brake the Tru Trac will act like it is locked.

gwittman

Adventurer
The Detroit Truetrac is similar to the Torsen differential which I have on my Ford Ranger. I liked it so much that I also had it installed on the front differential. That combination works very well. I don't know if the Truetrac acts exactly like the Torsen, but I have found if you are accelerating the Torsen acts almost like a locker.
Yes, like any LSD, you need to be careful not to put too much power down when going around a corner in low traction conditions. That is not difficult to get used to. Putting too much power down with an open differential is pointless because all you do is spin the lightest loaded tire. It does nothing for acceleration. It just allows you to have more control while you are spinning one tire.

rkj__

Adventurer
"I then had a TrueTrac installed. I really like it's performance on road. It activates very seamlessly, and pretty consistently. Before I was really used to it, I did spin out once though. I know how to control it better now. Off road it is decent, but it is useless once I lift a wheel, which I don't like. "

If you left foot brake the Tru Trac will act like it is locked.
I've tried that, but the technique did work as well as I was hoping. It seemed like the front disc brakes grab much more than the rear drum brakes on my truck. So, to get enough braking to "lock the rear diff, the front brakes were really fighting my forward motion.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Haha. That's true.

Thinking about it. If a newer truck has active 4 wheel TSC that applies ABS braking before killing the engine throttle, that system could turn Trutracs into a serious weapon for people not yet ready for lockers. I mean, the newer systems, at least the Ford ones I've tested, work fair with an open diff. With a real diff like a Truetrac.........

Last edited:

driller

old soul wanderer
Thanks for the comments. I would absolutely go with the RAM Power Wagon but I need a true one ton truck. (We don't travel light!)

Forgive my ignorance but could a person go with a limited slip in the rear and install an ARB air locker (or some other brand) on the front?

BTW, I am considering shelling out the extra $1600.00 for the Aisin tranny paired with the 6.4 HEMI on the Ram and a 4.44 axle ratio. Sound like a good plan or should I save my money?

If you are going with the c+c I would go with the 4.44 ratio. I have a 2015 ram with 6.4 and the first thing i did was regear to 4.56. Really woke the truck up. My limited slip chirps the tires on tights turns with the camper in the bed. Look up STREGA on the Portal he has the exact truck you are talking about.

XJLI

Adventurer
Haha. That's true.

Thinking about it. If a newer truck has active 4 wheel TSC that applies ABS braking before killing the engine throttle, that system could turn Trutracs into a serious weapon for people not yet ready for lockers. I mean, the newer systems, at least the Ford ones I've tested, work fair with an open diff. With a real diff like a Truetrac.........

LR Disco 2s with trutracs front and rear are pretty serious.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
Haha. That's true.

That's how it works in my JKU. I've only got the LS in rear, open in front, but I've climbed obstacles without spinning a wheel and watched others with rear lockers have to get a run at it slipping a sliding all the way up. My original plan was to eventually swap in Rubicon axles, but this set up has worked so well that the value ( with the trails I drive) isn't worth the time and cost.
Tom

twodollars

I'm now pretty hung up on wanting a factory open rear diff and then adding a detroit locker. I know they take a bit of getting used to,but in a heavy one ton truck the quirks become less noticeable. And it always works, no switches, air lines, or wires.

rkj__

Adventurer
That's how it works in my JKU. I've only got the LS in rear, open in front, but I've climbed obstacles without spinning a wheel and watched others with rear lockers have to get a run at it slipping a sliding all the way up. My original plan was to eventually swap in Rubicon axles, but this set up has worked so well that the value ( with the trails I drive) isn't worth the time and cost.
Tom

I've seen videos of this system in action. I was very impressed. It worked perfectly as far as I could tell.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'm now pretty hung up on wanting a factory open rear diff and then adding a detroit locker. I know they take a bit of getting used to,but in a heavy one ton truck the quirks become less noticeable. And it always works, no switches, air lines, or wires.

As long as you take the time to understand how the new Detroits work, you'll have no problems with them.
-They aren't lockers. They're UN-lockers. Their normal state is locked. They ratchet the outside tire to turn.

-Detroits work great on pavement and off. High grip dirt and gravel, or slippery trails.
-Lunchbox auto lockers behave completely different (way worse). Only the full case Yukon locker is similar.

-When the outside tire is ratcheting around a turn, you're basically driving only the inside tire. If you spin the inside tire, the diff claps shut and stays locked shut. Keep this in mind in the rain and snow.

-As long as you run responsible tires in the winter, you'll be fine with a fullsize truck and a Detroit locker in the rear.

Go for it, it's still my favorite diff.

D45

Explorer
I like having the ability to use the E-Locker in my truck in 2WD and 4WD........nice feature, some only can lock in 4WD

I have had both limited slips and e-locker........limited slips seem to have a better road manners and a more blanket coverage

But, if you want and need traction, the locker blows the limited slip away

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole

Absolutely right, the heavier and longer the vehicle the less noticeable the locker is when it unloads, the thing that took longest to get used to for me was starting out or sidehilling on ice, both tires get full power all the time and ice doesn't like that, so I just leave the hubs locked and use 4hi until I get moving when it's icy out, but other than that I would highly recommend a detroit over any selectable because there is nothing else to worry about once it's installed and no need for a compressor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke