Electronic rear lockers vs. a "limited slip differential"?

Durango

Adventurer
So I'm torn between RAM (which I have now and am pleased with) versus Ford in my search for a 1 ton "chassis cab" in a regular cab size w/ a FWC Granby flatbed on the back.

One defining difference is the Ford is available with factory rear e-lockers and the RAM only has a "limited slip differential". (Too be fair I've been four wheel driving my 2012 RAM 2500 for five years and never been stuck.)

Sioux and I obviously don't do major rock crawling in a 10,000# full size PU. But I really like having "something in reserve" at all times. And at a (still healthy) 64 this just may be my "final build" (sounds ominous!) so I'm trying to do it right and not skimp.

So how important is having an electronic rear locking axle? Plus any other advantages of RAM vs. Ford would be appreciated. (I'm going with the gas engine in either brand.)

Many thanks from a mechanical semi-dunce!
Steve

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
If you plan on trails that will lift a tire, you will want the locker.

Even the best limited slip is only as good as an open diff once you lift a tire.

My 2011 Super duty has the factory e-locker, and it is VERY nice to have when you need it.

Not without its downsides though. Without the locker engaged, it is an open diff.

So in many places Id be able to manage with just the limited slip, I now NEED the locker, as the open diff simply isnt enough.

This comes into play even on the blacktop. Just a bit of ice, or even a fresh rain on painted cross walk lines for instance, is enough to allow one tire to slip/spin.

harv3589

Adventurer
Maybe look at the power wagon. Electronic lockers front and rear and the rear is also a limited slip differential. Great flex with the sway bar disconnect as well. The only downfall is the lower towing capacity due to the offroad suspension but air bags help that out.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I’ve got a JK wrangler with limited slip. With traction control and the LS, it works really well. FWIW my previous trail rig was an early Bronco with a Detroit in back and an ARb air locker up front.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Betarocker

Adventurer
I hated the unpredictability of the (un)limited slip differential. Would lock up when you didn't want it to and would be open when you wanted it locked. When it blew up I installed an ARB locker, well plural since I regeared and added one to the front too. An open diff is much safer on snow and ice as one wheel will always track if the other one starts spinning. If both start spinning, the rear of vehicle can become the front pretty quickly. My new truck has the E locker, and it's nice to be able to pull the knob and lock up. Only downside is it's speed restricted so higher speeds on sand and loose gravel now require 4wd if maximum drive is desired.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Since you want a gasser, the PW is the way to go if you don't need all the capacity of a one-ton. If you need a one-ton, either will be fine, because you can always add a selective locker to the Ram. If you get a used PW with rear leaf springs, you can easily upgrade the spring packs with Thuren or Carli components, even to the point of installing diesel packs. That will compromise articulation and flex a bit, but will still probably be superior to the Ford in that respect. I'm biased, but I'd lean toward the Ram, based upon 12 years with a PW.

Durango

Adventurer
Thanks for the comments. I would absolutely go with the RAM Power Wagon but I need a true one ton truck. (We don't travel light!)

Forgive my ignorance but could a person go with a limited slip in the rear and install an ARB air locker (or some other brand) on the front?

BTW, I am considering shelling out the extra $1600.00 for the Aisin tranny paired with the 6.4 HEMI on the Ram and a 4.44 axle ratio. Sound like a good plan or should I save my money?

XJLI

Adventurer
Front lockers are always better than rear lockers, in my experience. A rear LSD and front selectable locker is a great DD option, better being selectable front and rear.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The stock LSD's rarely work OK. Plenty of stock trucks getting stuck spinning just 2 wheels in a simple snow drift. You have to shim them tighter, then change the fluid to remove the friction modifier. Then they're noisy and people think they have broken transmissions. It's a major headache for the dealers. People insist on LSD's, but the factory has to "deactivate" them for customers to be happy. IME, the Ford and Dodge LSD's don't work out of the box.

The E-lockers were a solution to that problem. Nice smooth, easy to drive and stable in snow open diffs. Open diffs are still my preferred choice for street snow. Lock the rear as needed. I wouldn't recommend buying any truck without them. It's only a $390 option on the Ford, usually packaged with other things like FX4 skidplates and such.

I'd get the Ford right now with the 6.2L gas engine. It's very nice, Ford's got the better mousetrap this year. XL's still have decent seats, power windows, locks, mirrors, AC, etc. etc. Dodge needs an update. The Ford chassis cabs are made in Avon Ohio. I've been to the plant, it's very nice. The trucks are well built there. You should be able to order it with a flat bed. That might save you some money, or might not.

Are you getting a DRW or SRW?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Thanks for the comments. I would absolutely go with the RAM Power Wagon but I need a true one ton truck. (We don't travel light!)

Forgive my ignorance but could a person go with a limited slip in the rear and install an ARB air locker (or some other brand) on the front?

BTW, I am considering shelling out the extra $1600.00 for the Aisin tranny paired with the 6.4 HEMI on the Ram and a 4.44 axle ratio. Sound like a good plan or should I save my money?

Yes, If you pick the Dodge, that's a good plan. But the Ford doesn't charge extra for the transmission, and 4.30 gears should be stock on the chassis cabs (double check that).

It's rare for me to want a front locker, or front LSD if I have a rear locker. If I regear to 4.56, I'm putting a Truetrac in the front of my truck (Already have the e-locker rear).

PS: LOL at the "PoWerwagon ALL the things!" Guys.

Last edited:

Meili

Adventurer
"Front lockers are always better than rear lockers, in my experience. A rear LSD and front selectable locker is a great DD option, better being selectable front and rear."

Agree with this. Keep in mind if the rear is locked it will push/understeer. Might be a problem if you have to maneuver in a tight spot.

I am loving the Tru Trac, sends power to the wheel WITH traction and is invisible on the road.

Dalko43

Explorer
Front lockers are always better than rear lockers, in my experience. A rear LSD and front selectable locker is a great DD option, better being selectable front and rear.

Why is that?

I find myself using my rear locker more often than using the ATRAC (electronically controlled braking which simulates a locker up front) on my 4runner. I would think a rear locker would be more useful for typical overland/offroad travels.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Rear locker is all that's needed in my area, that's always the 1st axle to lock around here. We use 4wd in the snow. Trutracs are ok up front, they can still be a handful.

Rear locker can't cause much understeer if it's slick enough out to need the locker in the first place. And then you just push the knob back in to turn it off. The Fords turn off the E-locker for tight turns automatically.

I need a locker to go uphill, up boat ramps, across a beach, up a beach ramp, or across ditches. I haven't had a 1 ton truck lift a front tire much in years in those conditions. Even then, the rear is the one doing all the work, with all the weight on it going uphill.

If you need to back a trailer on dry gravel, uphill, while making a tight turn, that's perfect for a Detroit Locker or Yukon Locker for the rear diff.

I'm not doing the front Trutrac if my 3.73's continue to perform acceptably, mostly because the traction control braking the spinning front tire, actually works OK. (Combined with a Truetrac it would be excellent) I was startled by that. It used to be a fairly useless system on SUV's. Maybe the 250's weight helps or something.

Last edited:

XJLI

Adventurer
Why is that?

I find myself using my rear locker more often than using the ATRAC (electronically controlled braking which simulates a locker up front) on my 4runner. I would think a rear locker would be more useful for typical overland/offroad travels.

Front will pull you up and over what you're stuck on, the rear locked will try and push you into it. If you have enough tire or traction, the rear will do the job; if you don't, you just crab walk around the obstacle. For most people, just a factory rear locker or traction aid is adequate. I'm fine with the G80 on my Silverado, because it serves a different purpose than the built up rock crawler that my XJ was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke