Shooting Platform

Caslon

Its always been a dream to have a shooting platform on a rig like Ansel Adams.

Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 7.17.48 PM.jpg

The platform is easy, but shooting atop a rocking vehicle won't work very well for longer exposures.
Would hydraulic jacks work for this or would the body still be loose from a rigid frame?

Anybody have any real world experience with this?

Best

C

Caslon

Its just a matter of perspective, it can you over brush in the foreground of your image.
Yes, you could bring a huge tripod and a ladder, its just easier on a platform.

Personally I use the Gitzo giant and a ladder. When I have done roof top shots it's generally like the shot you posted of Ansel Adams, clear and sunny. No wind and short exposure times. My technique is to hold really still, hold your breath and use a cable release. And with digital take a dozen shots. With wind all bets are off and use the big tripod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caslon

Thanks Andrew,
I am using a Gigapan and usually take at least 18 frames and stitch them together.
Agreed, wind is a big problem when out in the west. Going to find myself a giant.
BTW, thoroughly enjoyed your blog, very nice work.

moabian

Before drones, I got high with Pole Photography. I stilll have a large, extendable fiberglass pole and a custom aluminum tripod I had built for it...but it hasn't been used in years. The camera was controlled wirelessly...still have all of that stuff too. Maybe I should put it on eBay.

PoleTripod.jpg

Caslon

Thats a fun setup, are you using Camranger to control it?
How high does it go?
Do you have any shots taken with it you would like to share?

C

Thanks Andrew,
I am using a Gigapan and usually take at least 18 frames and stitch them together.
Agreed, wind is a big problem when out in the west. Going to find myself a giant.
BTW, thoroughly enjoyed your blog, very nice work.

Thanks for checking it out. I need to post more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robert

Expedition Leader
I've done some off the top of my VW when I had it. If there is any wind then you need to secure the tripod, either by weighting it or as I did a couple of times with the VW, using bungies from the tripod to the footman's loops in the luggage bay. It worked well for getting some overhead shots of camp-outs, soccer games, etc. A wireless remote or the self timer works.

I don't have the VW any more but I have used a fiberglass extendable painter's pole with my GoPro and my small Cannon S110. Obviously not so good with my Nikons. I lashed it to my ARB but the mounting options are limited by your imagination.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Its always been a dream to have a shooting platform on a rig like Ansel Adams.

View attachment 425444

The platform is easy, but shooting atop a rocking vehicle won't work very well for longer exposures.
Would hydraulic jacks work for this or would the body still be loose from a rigid frame?

Anybody have any real world experience with this?

Best

C

Pretty sure Ansel Adams took some very nice photos with that rig without any jacking. But if your chosen vehicle can accommodate some RV jacks that would probably be a swell idea.

I've done a deck on my Suburban and v2.0 is now awaiting some new cross braces made from 3/4" square tubing, which I hope to fabricate soon. It will be sturdy enough to use as you desire. Just a problem getting up there with a Liftgate in the way. Would be better with barn doors and a fixed ladder on one.

cargotray01.jpg
roofrack34.jpg

roofrack55.jpg
roofrack52.jpg

v3.0 might be some 1/4" aluminum plate, if I can ever stomach the price of it.

dar395

Adventurer
rayra that a petty cool set-up thanks for sharing I'll have to think it out for my own use!

Pretty sure Ansel Adams took some very nice photos with that rig without any jacking. But if your chosen vehicle can accommodate some RV jacks that would probably be a swell idea.

I've done a deck on my Suburban and v2.0 is now awaiting some new cross braces made from 3/4" square tubing, which I hope to fabricate soon. It will be sturdy enough to use as you desire. Just a problem getting up there with a Liftgate in the way. Would be better with barn doors and a fixed ladder on one.

cargotray01.jpg
roofrack34.jpg

roofrack55.jpg
roofrack52.jpg

v3.0 might be some 1/4" aluminum plate, if I can ever stomach the price of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles