Should i buy this ARB 50QT?

rc51kid

Adventurer
I am double posting this from Mud because i figure you guys actually know this stuff better.

I have been casually wanting a fridge, dont we all want all they toys? My wife and i do a lot of traveling and camping, but honestly we are back packers and do OK with really simple dry food. That being said my wife is vegetarian and i think a fridge might be nice for her produce and stuff like that. We dont cook complicated food on the trail. Like i said, we are simple light weight backpackers. Also i am already 100% wired up with duel batts and a Blue Sea fuse block.

In the truck we have a sleeping platform we use. We also have a gamaviti rack and have lots of storage options. But we like to keep the platform open to sleeping. I think the fridge would have to go on top of the platform so i could slide it OVER the rear wheel well and give us the maximum sleeping space. but even that would really cramp our leg space some.

I have been thinking a 30-40qt would be good for us and not take up a huge amount of space. Also it will be tricky to lift the lid with it ON TOP of the sleeping platform. The Dometic 32 or 35s look good. If i go up to the Engel MR040 it will lift from the side which would be really nice. Also it looks like the Engel MRO40is on sale for about $650 which is a great price.But honestly i am not in huge rush or 100% sure about this purchase.

The other day i came across a used ARB 50qt for sale close by. It is used but still in the box with no use. So used but NIB.local for under $600. Honestly i think it is just maybe bigger than i want and the lid configuration will make it a pain to open and close with it sitting on top of the sleeping platform.

Is this too good of a price to pass on or should i wait and get the smaller size i want that will fit better even if it cost a little more for a smaller fridge? Does it make since to pay MORE for a SMALLER fridge because it fits my truck better?

Am i being stupid to pass on this?

I try to avoid being one of the guys that buys stuff just to buy it. I actually like keeping it simple. That is kind of why i am really avoiding the whole RTT think and everything. I really like the simplicity of sleeping in the truck. I hate to fill it up and them start thinking about a RTT to salve the "problem" i just created.

parkkitchings

Adventurer
I've got an ARB which I've had for years. I'd buy one again without question. Trust me, once you have a fridge you'll wonder how you ever lived with a cooler and ice. If it fits in the place you're wanting to place I'd say buy it.

dpsmedic

Adventurer
Super happy with my ARB 50qt. Usually travel solo or with my girlfriend. Happy with the size. My trips range from 3 or 4 days to 14 in length and find it works great for both.

pluton

Adventurer
Some fridges have hinges that can be defeated and therefore turn the lid into a lift-off arrangement. I don't know if that ARB allows that...my relatively primitive Engel MT-45 does. Without knowing your vehicle and it's available space, my sense of it is that a 50Qt may be too big for your rig. A smaller, approx. 35qt might be more the ticket for your application.
As parkitchings said, the fridge is utterly superior to the ice chests of old.

KYC

Adventurer
I've been using a yeti cooler for years. Struggling with ice, artic ice packs, etc. because I was too lazy to come up with alternatives. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a fridge when a used on with a decent price comes up. I just bought a goal zero yeti and now I'm itching to plug things into it.

If there was a guy next to me selling me arb 50qt almost new for $600 i might bite right now.

If you can afford it you should it. I bet you can sell it for cloes to $600 if it doesn't work out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles