Another Help Me Choose Thread: Bumper Edition

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
As is so often for many of us, too much analysis gets us stuck. I've recently purchased a 5th gen 4Runner and sold my Tacoma. The plan for the 4Runner is backcountry exploring and camping with my two boys, usually 3 day trips like traversing the Mojave Road or exploring Death Valley, Anza Borrego, etc.

There are many pluses with the 4Runner. I am more comfortable and my boys are more comfortable. But packing out gear is a little more complicated. And this is where I am seeking some advice/experience/feedback.

I am trying to keep as little weight off the roof as possible. I have a three person CVT that I plan to use and expect to mount it with either Yakima bars or a small aluminum rack (like a K9).

I have a list of additional gear that probably shouldn't be in the vehicle: 5-gallon fuel can, hi-lift, propane tank, and shovel. With these parameters, I can't help but conclude that a rear bumper with swing gate(s) is in order. But I get hung up when I consider the weight and cost of a rear bumper.

I find myself asking whether I would be better loading this extra gear on the roof. Whether a rear bumper will drastically affect the handling and performance characteristics. Or even whether I should dump the hi-lift and fuel and limit trips accordingly.

I plan on going with a rear bumper for the various reasons you mentioned above. Truthfully, it isn't something I particularly wish I needed. Like you said they are heavy etc... Any extra weight on a vehicle can be a gas killer when you're driving for longer distances/time. My choice revolves around the fact that my 2014 FJC simply doesn't have the most useful storage space inside (without removing the rear seats which I don't want to do) and with a tent up top on the roof rack that useful space is now gone. So where does that leave me? Looking at rear bumpers as part of an overall storage and packing solution.

I'm not sure what brands are all available for the 4Runner, but I have been looking at either the Expedition 1 Rear bumper or the MetalTech RedEye2. Both seem very functional but I think I like the function of the Metal Tech just a little bit more. Hi-Lift on the bumper, space for a couple of Jerry Cans, and I can retain my backup camera. Expedition 1's bumper looks a little bit better and I could still retain my backup cam, but I don't like the way that they have things mounting to the bumper as much I don't think.

Anyways, enough of my ramblings... Good luck in your search! I would not store the gas in the vehicle if it were me personally. Another thing to check into would maybe be a Garvin Wilderness rack. May be a possible solution for you.

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
As is so often for many of us, too much analysis gets us stuck. I've recently purchased a 5th gen 4Runner and sold my Tacoma. The plan for the 4Runner is backcountry exploring and camping with my two boys, usually 3 day trips like traversing the Mojave Road or exploring Death Valley, Anza Borrego, etc.

There are many pluses with the 4Runner. I am more comfortable and my boys are more comfortable. But packing out gear is a little more complicated. And this is where I am seeking some advice/experience/feedback.

I am trying to keep as little weight off the roof as possible. I have a three person CVT that I plan to use and expect to mount it with either Yakima bars or a small aluminum rack (like a K9).

I have a list of additional gear that probably shouldn't be in the vehicle: 5-gallon fuel can, hi-lift, propane tank, and shovel. With these parameters, I can't help but conclude that a rear bumper with swing gate(s) is in order. But I get hung up when I consider the weight and cost of a rear bumper.

I find myself asking whether I would be better loading this extra gear on the roof. Whether a rear bumper will drastically affect the handling and performance characteristics. Or even whether I should dump the hi-lift and fuel and limit trips accordingly.

Extra gas is nice, but when it comes down to it, probaly overkill. I have always just topped of reguardless last thing before i hit the trail. Like charledontsurf, i drive a fjc and they have the smallest gas tank. Ive never felt like im going to run out or even gotten close. I dont know what trails you do but im having a hard time finding places around here where it was a true need. So you can probaly ditch the gas can. Just be mindful and fill up at the last opportunity. I dont go into the desert around here, so my perspective maybe different than you.

Hi lift is great if you know how to use it. Otherwise leave it at home. If you dont have sliders/metal bumpers/ recovery points etc. theres not alot you can really do with it anyways.

How big of a propane tank is truly needed? Those little colemans last a long time. I just carry a couple of those but i also only bring a single burner and a backpacking stove to boil water.

Weight on the roof isnt ideal but its not as big of a deal as everyone thinks in my opinion. My set up this last summer was super top heavy and the rtt on top was a friggin sail! But id rather pay for gas then buy a high dollar roof rack only to find out it was not what i wanted either.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Thanks for the input, guys. Some great points here. I'm probably looking at a combination of purging some gear and getting a swing-gate bumper. The point about the integrated hitch is well taken!

Trikebubble

Adventurer
After checking on all possible rear complex style bumpers for the Tundra, I decided to purchase a HitchGate. It holds my full size spare, 2 MFC fuel cans, and my Hi-Lift. The thing is stout and strong. It cost roughly 1/2 what a complete rear bumper with all the fixin's would have cost for the Tundra. If need be, I can easily remove the whole thing. If down the road I decide I want a complete replacement bumper, I can source a more basic one and still use the Hitch-Gate.
I have a Four Wheel Camper on order, so the need (for me) exists to find a place to stow extra fuel, the Hi-Lift, spare wheel, etc.

Attachments

• 22459451_10154756961876637_5069420680699722440_o.jpg
    22459451_10154756961876637_5069420680699722440_o.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 11

Trikebubble

Adventurer
That's also a great option. Only problem with that is the decreased departure angle, but if that's not a big deal, it's a better solution than a new rear bumper IMO.
Not a deal breaker for me. The new rig is going to be setup more for long distance adventures than serious off-roading. I do still want/need it to be capable. With the lift and tires, my clearance is still pretty decent. I had a tough time justifying the 2500+ price range for a Tundra bumper with all the goodies.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior