2012 F-150 FX4 - Overland Build

BigLoggerhead

Hey guys, new member here. My name is Jason and I’m from Louisiana. I recently paid the last note on my F-150. She’s finally mine! And she only has 72,000 miles. Still tons of life left. I decided that I really wanted to do some camping, just me and the wife so I started looking into truck tents which led to roof top tents which led to the overland style camping. So that’s why I’m here. This seems like the best place for information on setting up my rig.

So my first and only mod so far is new tires. I went with Toyo Open Country RT’s in 285 60 20. So far, I love them. They seem like they’ll be pretty capable offroad. I also ordered a Hammerhead Armor 48” roof rack and am planning on getting a roof top ten, probably a Smittybilt. I’ll be adding pics as I install new gear on the rig and I look forward to getting suggestions and input from the community. Here’s some current pics of my rig. Thanks guys.

043EE37F-627C-4F46-B21D-2EC0A7C8D916.jpgC9E541C2-7B39-4E43-B9C5-83D9F60BD50D.jpgA8321C8B-9B4D-4AA1-A5A3-9D7E5D0D1C15.jpg

BigLoggerhead

Bought it brand new in 2012. 5.0. The turbos scared me. Only problems I've had was an airbag sensor that was fixed under warranty and the cage around the blower motor for the A/C came loose. Pulled it off and chunked it. It's been a great truck but I've changed the oil religiously and rotated the tires every 6,000 miles. Got 65,000 out of my Toyo AT2's. Just recently changed the front and rear brake pads out and put new rotors on the front.

Rippin'AV

Adventurer
Great looking truck! I’m a F150 5.0 owner myself so may be biased ;)

Good choice on tires. Had same size on my old Jeep JK and they ran great in the dry and deep snow. Solid all-terrains.

I found this sight useful for gear organizing in the bed

https://www.builtrightind.com/products/builtright-industries-mbrs-fseries-kit

Curious how that rooftop tent setup will turn out. Have been looking into them myself.

Cheers! AV

Last edited:

BigLoggerhead

Thanks. I’ll definitely check out the link you left. Just the kind of info I need. This is the bed rack I’m looking at right now. KB Voodoo bed rack. Apparently I’m not allowed to post links for some weird reason.

You can use it with a tonneau cover. I’m either gonna do that or get my father in law to fab something up for me. He’s fantastic at welding and building things and this is just the kind of challenge he likes.

mobob

A 35" tire will fit with a little room left. The Raptor uses the same space for 35's and the space should be the same.

BigLoggerhead

So my build continues. I purchased a set of the Baja Designs Squadron Sports in amber with the wide cornering lense to use as fog lights. Got them on Black Friday with a $50 mail in rebate. I ordered the vehicle specific mounting bracket system for my truck to go along with it. All I can say is, WOW! These things are super bright and perfect for using as a fog light. I guess they may be a little too bright but I tried to aim them low so that they won't blind anyone.

The throw on this lense setup is great IMO as a fog light. Throws out a pretty good ways in front of the truck and the throw to the side of the vehicle is excellent. The install was fairly easy and the system is plug and play and works with the factory fog light switch. I'm very impressed with Baja Designs product and plan on purchasing some more lights from them in the future.

Last edited:

scootr2200

How have the BD Squadron Sports been working out for you? Do you wish you had gone with the Pro version? Or is there anything with your lighting setup that you would change?

Ever since I saw you post up the pictures of the beam pattern, I have been thinking about purchasing a pair for my '13 FX4.

Mickey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles