Rebuilding Current OEM Seats vs. Buying Aftermarket - 80 Series Land Cruiser

Rebuild or Replace Old Front Seats

• Rebuild/Recondition Old Seats

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Buy New Aftermarket Seats

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
My 20 year old front seats in my 1997 Land Cruiser are way past their prime, and are very uncomfortable on long trips. I am contemplating either rebuilding them or installing new aftermarket seats.

The thing is, either option is going to cost me about the same. Rebuilding seats with new foam and new leather (or cloth) is going to run me about $1K each. Buying a new (compatible) aftermarket seat and bracket simplifies the install and could be an improvement over even completely reconditioned OEM seats.

Based on experience, which is more comfortable? Will replacing the foam and leather on my current seats bring me up to the quality and comfort of a brand new aftermarket seat?

Any concerns with going aftermarket?

If aftermarket is the way to go, what are some good seats to consider?

Thanks! :)

tennesseewj

Observer
If you haven't already checked, there are some good threads with photos of aftermarket seat installs on Mud. When I read through them, it seemed that most folks who dropped the money on aftermarket seats absolutely loved them.

Personally, I'm a sucker for installs that look OEM. Most aftermarket seats that I've seen clearly look like aftermarket seats, so I'd be tempted to stay with the OEM seat for the aesthetics of a clean install.

My 80 has recovered seats in it from the PO and they're pretty comfortable. My only complaint is that the 80 series desperately needs an armrest in it, and I've yet to see any armrest seat swaps.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I'm lazy and find that the stock seats (when in good condition) are really comfortable for me. You can buy replacement foam for the bottom and the back. You can also buy new skins for them. Depending on your seats condition, you might not have to do all three. Scheel Mann, and other aftermarket seats, are REALLY nice. But, I can't justify the cost.

What about these Scheel Mann seats seen here? https://expeditionportal.com/top-10-new-overland-products-sema-2017/
See #4. Cruiser is listed. German made it sounds like

Thanks.

Do you know about how much they cost?

A big concern I have is redoing my current seats with new foam and leather, at a cost of around $1K each, and finding that it is only marginally more comfortable than before rebuilding the seats. Plus, I've not sat in an aftermarket seat for any length of time to know if going that route would give me more comfort/support on long drives than a refurbished OEM setup.

I know that Corbeau makes seats that fit in the 80 series Land Cruiser, and they also sell a bracket. Together I could have a new seat for about the same cost as a refurbished OEM seat.

EDIT: Looks like the base price is around $1800 per seat, if you include an integrated seatbelt.

"The base price on the Traveler and Touring seat models is $1,259, and the integrated seatbelt option adds $500 to that price. These seats are a great option for Defender, Land Cruiser, Sprinter, and a plethora of other overland vehicle builds."

Those Scheel Mann's look really nice. Not sure if they have a model that fits in my truck, and/or if they make brackets for it. I'd rather not have to fab my own.

Last edited:

torqluvas

Observer
Thanks.

Do you know about how much they cost?

A big concern I have is redoing my current seats with new foam and leather, at a cost of around $1K each, and finding that it is only marginally more comfortable than before rebuilding the seats. Plus, I've not sat in an aftermarket seat for any length of time to know if going that route would give me more comfort/support on long drives than a refurbished OEM setup.

I know that Corbeau makes seats that fit in the 80 series Land Cruiser, and they also sell a bracket. Together I could have a new seat for about the same cost as a refurbished OEM seat.

EDIT: Looks like the base price is around $1800 per seat, if you include an integrated seatbelt.

"The base price on the Traveler and Touring seat models is $1,259, and the integrated seatbelt option adds $500 to that price. These seats are a great option for Defender, Land Cruiser, Sprinter, and a plethora of other overland vehicle builds."

Those Scheel Mann's look really nice. Not sure if they have a model that fits in my truck, and/or if they make brackets for it. I'd rather not have to fab my own.

You got it Paul, by the time you have a good upholstery shop do up factory seats with good materials, the price is getting up there and close to great aftermarket seats.
Looks like ScheelMann has many seats with many options.

Why would you need an integrated seatbelt option? I think that's for the backs of vans and such, where people put the seats in the floor where they want them.
You can use your stock 80 belts yes?

Ask the people at ScheelMann about brackets, most seat companies have them available for specific applications.
http://scheel-mann.com/contact

Mud Dawg

Observer
I bought new leather for my 80 and had it professionally installed. If I had it all to do over again, I would look at something like the scheel mann (or some other very high quality seat replacement) for the fronts and just leave the rears alone (they weren't that bad anyway).

WHATEVER you do, don't try to source your leather from the MetricTLC guy. Total nightmare. You were warned...

Multiple suggestions to look at Scheel-Mann.

So it looks like there is a thread over at IH8MUD that documents a Scheel-Mann seat install on an 80 series. Those seats look sweet! Also comes with an arm rest option!

Cost of refurbing the OEM seat with OEM foam and new leather...$1200-$1400 plus install.

Cost of the Scheel-Mann seats run around $1,450.00 each + Options
- Arm rest $159
- Slider $120
- Planted Bracket $120

If I am not going to go the cheaper route and buy a used seat from a different (newer) model vehicle and then fab up a bracket to fit it to my LC, seems like Scheel-Mann is the way to go for a bit more money. I bet the seats are noticeably more comfortable than the original seats, even when new.

tennesseewj

Observer
Multiple suggestions to look at Scheel-Mann.

So it looks like there is a thread over at IH8MUD that documents a Scheel-Mann seat install on an 80 series. Those seats look sweet! Also comes with an arm rest option!

Cost of refurbing the OEM seat with OEM foam and new leather...$1200-$1400 plus install.

Cost of the Scheel-Mann seats run around $1,450.00 each + Options
- Arm rest $159
- Slider $120
- Planted Bracket $120

If I am not going to go the cheaper route and buy a used seat from a different (newer) model vehicle and then fab up a bracket to fit it to my LC, seems like Scheel-Mann is the way to go for a bit more money. I bet the seats are noticeably more comfortable than the original seats, even when new.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/scheel-mann-seat-install.1009122/

Those look really nice! The addition of the armrest would be money well spent in my opinion

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

lumpskie

Independent Thinker

It sounds like you have the will power and money to follow through with a nice, aftermarket seat. But, in case cost is a consideration for you, you can get leather seat covers from companies like LSeat for around $500 for both front seats and the second row. Also, seat cushions go for a little over $150 a piece, or $300 per seat. So, if you did new front seat cushions, and new leather for the 1st and second row... you'd be around $1000, rather than $1000 per seat. Search on Ih8Mud and you'll find lots of threads.

Here are some pictures I found of different colors people have gone with:

011-jpg.283839

ps-seat-cushion-jpg.256603

Lexus017-1.jpg

Last edited:
It sounds like you have the will power and money to follow through with a nice, aftermarket seat. But, in case cost is a consideration for you, you can get leather seat covers from companies like LSeat for around $500 for both front seats and the second row. Also, seat cushions go for a little over $150 a piece, or $300 per seat. So, if you did new front seat cushions, and new leather for the 1st and second row... you'd be around $1000, rather than $1000 per seat. Search on Ih8Mud and you'll find lots of threads.

Thanks. I didn't realize that refurbing the current seats could be done for about $1K for both. I'll have to check the pricing again to confirm that. If that's the case, it makes sense to try that first, as the Scheel-Mann seat would set me back around $4K for both. The Scheel seats are sooooo nice, but the extra $3K I would save by reconditioning my old seats could go a long way towards something else on the truck.

plh

Explorer
I had seats in 2 different Monteros professionally recovered in leather and would do it again in a heartbeat. Key for the foam was to find a good used passenger side bottom to swap as they hardly get used comparative to the driver side (Montero manual seat bottom foams are the same side to side - not sure about LC). Mine cost $350 per bucket and $500 for the bench - all in. You need to shop around if you are getting quotes of a grand a bucket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz