LR3 Streeing Angle Sensor and dash lights?

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Yesterday my winter tires were installed and an alignment done. The tech said my steering wheel seemed a bit off, like part of the shaft might be sticking. On a straight stretch, the wheel wasn't centre. On my way home, all the dash lights, flashers, trans shows "E", etc happened. Kept driving because I'm on coils and then, all the craziness went away and only the trans fault, parking brake fault and HDC faults lights stayed. Later all lights came back, then back to the three faults. Got home, shut the truck off, back on, no lights. I've read somewhere if the steering angle sensor is off, the truck thinks its turning constantly while going straight and sets off the alarms. Thoughts?

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Well, I just had a chance in daylight to have a look around the truck. It appears, and don't ask me how they did it, that the cover at the rear wheel arch protecting the can-bus wires is pulled down, the sleeve I installed is destroyed and the wires are all out and exposed. That and rainy wet weather with snow and salt is not a good combo. They will be fixing it Monday. Ticked off!!

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Well it all gets more and more confusing. The wiring at the rear wheel was fine, just all pulled out for some reason. Wondered if something flew up from the road and caught it or a mouse liked the sleeve I had installed? Taped up and covered again. Faults did include steering angle sensor but apparently it is ties in with the EAS and the EAS fault, slow to 30 kph has started to show up in the last week or so. We are now wondering if maybe the EAS by-pass box from AB for my coil conversion is acting up and setting all the lights off.

jkstehn

steering wheel alignment and dash christmas tree

Yesterday my winter tires were installed and an alignment done. The tech said my steering wheel seemed a bit off, like part of the shaft might be sticking. On a straight stretch, the wheel wasn't centre. On my way home, all the dash lights, flashers, trans shows "E", etc happened. Kept driving because I'm on coils and then, all the craziness went away and only the trans fault, parking brake fault and HDC faults lights stayed. Later all lights came back, then back to the three faults. Got home, shut the truck off, back on, no lights. I've read somewhere if the steering angle sensor is off, the truck thinks its turning constantly while going straight and sets off the alarms. Thoughts?

I recently replaced lower control arms an axle and tie rods. Steering wheel was off about 1/3 of a turn. Dash would light up over 30-35 mph and drop to bumps. Pulled the suspension fuse to prevent drop and I would get warning and lights but suspension wouldn't lower. Took it to dealer for alignment but they wouldn't touch it because I had suspension lift rods in it and they also told me that the steering angle sensor had nothing to do with the suspension and the stability control system.

IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!

Went to a Good Year place with a manager who had a lifted jeep. He said sure, we'll try but no guarantee. Alignment done, tech said really easy except for the 200 ft lbs of torque on LCA bolts. steering wheel close to center and no alarms, no lights and suspension worked fine. Steering wheel is slight off to left but much better. After a couple week i realize that there are a couple places that I take a fairly sharp left hand turn at about 20 mph and the ABS engages on the front left. Only left turns, not right. I think the 10 degrees that the wheel is off is confusing the stability control. No issues off road in desert, only on 90 deg left turns at 20 mph +. Will be taking it in to get wheel aligned closer to strait and I expect that will fix it. The air suspension is incredibly interlocked with steering angle, brake switch, brake lights, transmission, stability control, anti-lock brakes, ABS and air suspension ride height. Any one of these going bad sets off the christmas tree and drop Air suspension to lower level.

Steering wheel must be perfectly straight or there is possibly a recalibration to the steering angle sensor that can be done with the right computer but local LR dealer here in Tucson are total JackA's and told me I had no idea what I was talking about and wouldn't help. Funny how everything worked as I told them it would when I got someone to put it back close to centered. Get the alignment done. Get the steering wheel centered accurately and as long as the brake light bulbs, brake light switch and brake light wire aren't corroded in the passenger side sill your truck will probably go back to normal.

Strongly considering just getting under truck and moving tie rods myself to center wheel. Equal amounts of adjustment on each side should do the trick.

Let us know how it works out. Folks sharing is the only way to keep things going since the IDIOT stealership mechanics don't know or don't care to help anyone with an older vehicle.

Jonathan

Mx468

Observer
I had this same exact problem right after I got new tires installed from Town Fair, it was going on for a year and I couldn't figure out what the f was going on. I'd drive about 20 miles and bing ding dong suspension fault, etc... to fix the problem I finally bought a BT gap tool and recalibrated/aligned my steering and no more issues. A great tool to invest in. My 2 cents.

LKLK

You may also want to consider changing the brake light switch if you haven't already done so. I had and issue where I was getting those faults and the switch was the source of my problems. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier