The tires on my "new to me" 1995 Montero

mtnblue

Observer
are a pretty aggressive off brand 30x9.50 tire. They are noisy and although pretty aggressive, I am thinking I want more of a less aggressive snow-specific tire since most of my winter driving will be on highways and occasional off-road situations. I was looking in the local paper and found a killer deal on some Nokian Hakkapelitta snow tires, but the tire size is 185/65/15 - a bit smaller than the recommended size for the Montero. Is their any disadvantage to going a little smaller in the winter? The general rule of thumb used to be narrower tires in the winter, and wider in the summer. Any insight?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The 30x9.50 tires are already smaller than stock, you definitely do not want to go even smaller, those 185/65/15's are what come on most compact sedans and would seriously screw with your speedometer and mpg.

KyleT

Explorer
31x10.50r15 and take your pick. 255/75r15 I believe is the same size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mapper

Explorer
You can get nokian rotiivas through discount tire direct (online store) now at a pretty fair price. Not a true winter tire but you know nokian builds more winter capabilities into their "all weather" models than most. That probably the route I'd go if you want a decent tire that isn't a full snow tire. Discount direct also sells hakkapellitas now too. If you don't see it on the website, give them a call. I've found pricing to be competitive.

I put hankook dynapro AT tires on my montero and have been reasonably pleased with snow performance (still in the first half of treadwear though) Again, not a snow tire but it handles getting me to the ski area with decent confidence. I do keep my freeway speeds lower than I would with a true snow tire. Nothing beats a dedicated snow tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles