Organization and storage solutions.

Mitch502

Explorer
Think of the cost of a welder, which most don't have the welder or the skill, vs a lot of people will have a saw from other projects...

I agree that metal and wood are priced similarly.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Aluminum is another great material. Thanks to the automotive world, there is now some really excellent aluminum adhesive. Between that and rivets it's easy, and light to work with. No worries about water intrusion either.
I built a 9" raised platform that was strong enough for me and the dog to sleep on out of 10ga (1/8" thick) aluminum plate. Metal scrap yards are a good place to look for aluminum. Worked great for us, because I could stuff the whole bottom side with camp gear, and keep the top side open for Super-Mutt v2.0 to move around.

There is also different aluminum building block sets, that are pretty cool. The only downside is they are cubes, so it limits the flexibility to use every square inch of space.

Also, a good rack up top for lighter stuff can really free up the interior. We use a Yakima Rocket Box, which is about 20lbs, and can be stuffed with all the bulky stuff like sleeping bags, pillows, tents, mother-in-law, clothes, towels, etc..

Attachments

• Camp-gear-stowed.jpg
    Camp-gear-stowed.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Water-jug-mounted.jpg
    Water-jug-mounted.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 56

MOguy

Explorer
Aluminum is another great material. Thanks to the automotive world, there is now some really excellent aluminum adhesive. Between that and rivets it's easy, and light to work with. No worries about water intrusion either.
I built a 9" raised platform that was strong enough for me and the dog to sleep on out of 10ga (1/8" thick) aluminum plate. Metal scrap yards are a good place to look for aluminum. Worked great for us, because I could stuff the whole bottom side with camp gear, and keep the top side open for Super-Mutt v2.0 to move around.

There is also different aluminum building block sets, that are pretty cool. The only downside is they are cubes, so it limits the flexibility to use every square inch of space.

Also, a good rack up top for lighter stuff can really free up the interior. We use a Yakima Rocket Box, which is about 20lbs, and can be stuffed with all the bulky stuff like sleeping bags, pillows, tents, mother-in-law, clothes, towels, etc..
Good job.

To me this makes so much more sense than wood.

Last edited:

Bullseye240

Adventurer
Can you give specifics on the glue you used or would recommend?

and can be stuffed with all the bulky stuff like sleeping bags said:
I see what you did there......

Current setup of my rig. I use a Synergy basket to raise gear off the floor as it's largely my sleeping platform. I may fabricate a raised sleeping platform this January in preparation for a longer trip. I don't run a fridge at the moment either, so I get to save space by not having one.

a room with a view by e j, on Flickr

Below is inside looking out the back. I was about 60 days straight in this 'configuration'.

yes, this is my sleeping area by e j, on Flickr

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Can you give specifics on the glue you used or would recommend?

I see what you did there......

;)

The only one I've personally used came in the repair kit for a high speed commercial door repair.
Was amazed at the abuse it took.
I'm betting a Google or YouTube search would net some good info on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier