Organization and storage solutions.

Dzine07

Observer
What's everyone doing for storage and organization in their vehicles, specifically Jeep JK's?

My build will include a fridge/freezer since we travel with a 1 year old ...and we love ice with our Bourbon. Traveling with tools, recovery gear, water is getting a little crazy. Need some order in the cargo area. The roof is off limits unfortunately.

Post pics and thoughts!
IMG_0020.JPGIMG_0022.JPGIMG_0017.JPGIMG_0021.JPG

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A small part of the solution might be using the space over the inner fenders that's so hard to use because it's curved and sloped. I use these ammo can holders all the time; usually for gear in ammo cans but I put other things there too.

AmmoBothSides_zpst6jrq0q5.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A fridge/kitchen that has large folding tables can maximize space in the Jeep (less need to carry separate tables).

KitchenStowed_zpss0pxsfbj.jpg

CampSetup4_zpsa23xbz1l.jpg

Next I need to design and build a shelf over my kitchen like the one Donny posted.

And about carrying extra tables and chairs, if the travel cover on your roof top tent is like mine, you can carry them on top of the folded tent, under the travel cover, which saves a lot of space in the Jeep.

RTTTopStorage_zpshtiwbv9p.jpg

The table and chairs are also in place in this next photo, you can't even tell they are there.

LoadedAndReady_zpsavg68ugy.jpg

MOguy

Explorer
I drive a TJ so space is even more limited for me. First I had to really limit what I was taking. Then I had to find space. I built a shelf up front and got ride of the huge center console that had no storage. I replaced it with an ammo can. I can store a bag there that will hold far far far more than old center console. I also have a front rack that hangs out over the front like a visor on a baseball cap and a rear rack. I am a weekend warrior so I am not going out for long periods of time.

I am not sure of why the patch job I did on my top shows up.

Attachments

• 151110478604397718791.jpg
    151110478604397718791.jpg
    524.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 20171118_095221.jpg
    20171118_095221.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 1511105188687432836674.jpg
    1511105188687432836674.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 1511105652317209579880.jpg
    1511105652317209579880.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Sand1235

20170625_085259.jpg

I have dual drawer slides underneath a shelf. And under the cooler one I have an extending table.

Attachments

• 20170625_085246.jpg
    20170625_085246.jpg
    561.3 KB · Views: 54

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Another TJ, base camper here; unfortunately no loaded pics ... still doing setup/prep.
The back seat, brackets and belts have been removed; to improve capacity/packability.
The roof is out due to low hanging branches.
Water will be in scepter cans over the rear wheel wells.
Tools are/will mostly be in the rear foot wells; in ammo cans and weather proof plastic cases.
Gear is either is in hard cases (store under the cot, the cooler gets chained to a tree (to keep hones folk honest) in camp)) or in canvass duffels (store under cot). Drawers are too heavy and would not work as well for me; after arriving at the site the vehicle is completely unpacked during setup so that the area can be four wheeled unloaded (low CG and light weight is better off road).
I gave up trying to use a fridge, after a year of trying hard to make it work. I travel to the site then base camp for up to several weeks, and since I like shady camp sites solar is a no go. A supply & ice run once a week is what works best so far.
Packing is still a game of monster/life size 3D Tetris... but since I have camped with smaller Jeeps it all still (mostly) fits.
...Gear consolidation is this winter's hobby.
Enjoy!

Attachments

• MWC carrier mockup 33 DSCF0295.jpg
    MWC carrier mockup 33 DSCF0295.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 46
  • footwell box 33 DSCF0293.jpg
    footwell box 33 DSCF0293.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 46
  • TJ strap storage 50 croppedDSCF0294.jpg
    TJ strap storage 50 croppedDSCF0294.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

St8ton

I'm in the process and nearing completion of my storage setup. I love the Goose Gear solution but just can't justify the cost at this point and I've got the tools and materials at hand to build my own. I sleep in the Jeep on solo trips, so I wanted a sleeping platform, storage underneath, keep my subwoofer, and mount a 50L ARB Fridge. Need to finish up a few tie down points and I'll likely add a wheel well solution next. I'd like to be able to house a GoalZero/Solar setup on one side and an OBA setup on the other. Current photos show a setup all done for less than $75. Photos are better than words, and I'll be glad to answer any questions.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Mo' storage!

There is a really good thread on here somewhere about all kinds of kits, and ways guys have built shelving with fridge slideouts, etc.
So here are a few different ideas for additional storage:
A rack over the spare tire can be very handy, like in the picture below.
Also folks have been using the metal rod type shelving (like in Moguys TJ) over the sport bar above the rear seats. That seems to provide a lot of storage room.

If you can get away with only using the 40% side rear seat, someone makes a bracket to do just that (or you could make your own pretty easily). Then you'd have the whole rear passenger side for more storage.
Also Front Runner makes some pretty innovative water storage solutions . Like one that spans the rear floor board. https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/water-solutions/front-runner-footwell-water-tank.html

Picture one: Firewood loaded on the rack, to keep all the bark and splinters out of the Jeep
Picture two: Rightline makes a nice water resistant (they say water proof) bag that fits a spare tire rack pretty nice

Attachments

• Little-Deer-Lake-8-16.jpg
    Little-Deer-Lake-8-16.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Rightline-bag-1.jpg
    Rightline-bag-1.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 37

MOguy

Explorer
I know many people build shelves and drawers out of wood. I would think it would be very heavy and waste allot of space. Why not metal shelving and bags? I would much rather grab a bag out of a storage rack and take the entire bag to where I need it as opposed to going back and forth grapping things out of a drawer.

You could build your metal rack top to bottom. When you didn't have bags in the upper area your view would be blocked.

And the added weight. Wood is heavy.

Each cube can hold 60lbs, total of 6 for $30 and free shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...c31f-52d7-854b-13cf8c809124&pf_rd_i=165119011

wire rack.jpg

Last edited:

Mitch502

Explorer
I think some of the reason for building out of wood/drawers is to be able to lock it and keep people out. With that being said, if you don't travel with the top off/leave the vehicle you're probably fine with wire frame shelving.

MOguy

Explorer
I think some of the reason for building out of wood/drawers is to be able to lock it and keep people out. With that being said, if you don't travel with the top off/leave the vehicle you're probably fine with wire frame shelving.

If you need security a steel drawer can me made more secure and will be lighter.

Last edited:

Mitch502

Explorer
True, but the materials/tools for wood is generally cheaper. Trade off, right? We could build carbon fiber drawers and be light and strong...but the price would be astronomical. I would assume that most people would rather have metal, but wood is cheaper for them to build their own custom things, and they don't need to be a pro....wood is forgiving if you are off 1/16"...metal not so much.

MOguy

Explorer
True, but the materials/tools for wood is generally cheaper. Trade off, right? We could build carbon fiber drawers and be light and strong...but the price would be astronomical. I would assume that most people would rather have metal, but wood is cheaper for them to build their own custom things, and they don't need to be a pro....wood is forgiving if you are off 1/16"...metal not so much.

I don't know that wood is cheaper but I suppose many are DIYers and wood is easier to work with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles