Big50's 2017 F250 Build

Big50

Adventurer
I have been running Falkens for several years on my Raptor and I love em. I have yet to get a flat and that truck sees about 7000 offroad miles a year. This is my first 2500 but the Raptor is a heavy truck at 6400 curb weight and likely topping 7500 on most offroad trips so I expect the Falkens to do well.
We shall see.

Oh and they are pretty well priced, they can be found for around $300/tire shipped.

Just talked to a friend who has put 80k miles on his Toyo's, 37/12.50-20 RT's!! And he loves them!
I have used both the Falken A/T-3 (currently on my F-150) and Toyo's (though not the new RT's- which I am planning to go with on my F-350), and have no complaints on either...

That's pretty nuts to get 80k miles out of a tire!

Looking good Big50! That's a very similar setup to mine, I have the same plans in regards to its use as a Overland/Camping/Adventure rig that occasionally tows. I was supposed to have my lift put on a few months back, but delays with Fox on the coil-overs and delays with my personal finances after the beating we took with Harvey pushed it back to this month. I have a set of Toyo RT's in 37x12.50R20 set to go on my truck, but the more I see these Falken MT's on full size Fords the more I like the look and second guess the RT's. Do you think I should reconsider?

Thanks and right on. Fox delays these days are kind of nuts. I know a few guys who've waited 6+ months.

Great thread. Any noise from the softtopper on the highway? Any regrets at all with choosing softtopper?

No noise at all. No regrets...given what I want out of the truck I'm 100% happy with it. Once you install the rails on the bed it goes on in 5 minutes and comes off in 2. Only downside is it doesn't offer any security other out of site out of mind.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
I’ve got 4K miles on my 37-12.50 Toyo RTs on my 17’ 350. Responsiveness and braking definitely took a hit, as well as mileage. But this truck has plenty of power and brakes left.

As far as the tires they look much better in person on the truck, and pictures don’t do them justice. For my uses I can’t see running any other tire, and I’ve always ran MTs on my personal trucks. I’ve only pulled about 9k lbs since putting the tires on, and won’t pull heavy again until spring. They behaved just fine with that lift weight, and I’m expecting they will with heavy weight as well. The mold off road they’ve seen since has been impressive so far, but that could just be due to the wider tire more so than tread pattern.

Big50

Adventurer
So not your typical "overland" trip but went with the family for some boondock camping for new years weekend off the 395. Found a nice spot along a river to setup the travel trailer. Son had blast throwing rocks and chunks of ice on frozen lakes.

First time towing with the Icon kit and it was noticeably better than stock. The rear is so controlled over bumps and dips in the road with the trailer. I pretty much forgot the trailer was back there most of the combined 8 hours of towing it back and forth.

Also, got a chance to do some more trail running with it. It does really well for such a big truck. The rear is still a bit stiff on slower big bumps so may add some progressive leaf springs sometime over the next year. Overall, I love the truck and the Icon stage 4 2.5" kit.

_G7A6662 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

_G7A6439 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

_G7A6695 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

_G7A6681 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

_G7A6632 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

_G7A6605 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

_G7A6593 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

_G7A6571 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

_G7A6501 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

_G7A6490 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

_G7A6451 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

Big50

Adventurer
Looks amazing and relaxing, how a new years celebration should be.

Thanks...and couldn't agree more! Funny thing is the wife and I were joking about how our idea of a good time has changed over the years. 10 years ago I'd have been bartending at the bar I worked at while she danced with her friends.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
Truck looks fantastic... I've been drooling over the new body style for a while now.

Is that a Rockwood 21SS? I thought about one of those for quite a while, loved how much space you could get in a small footprint.

Big50

Adventurer
I may have missed it earlier in the thread - but what is the offset on the wheel you're using?

they are 9" wide and -12mm offset

Truck looks fantastic... I've been drooling over the new body style for a while now.

Is that a Rockwood 21SS? I thought about one of those for quite a while, loved how much space you could get in a small footprint.

Thanks! Close, it's a rockwood 23ikss. Has a center island and dual slide outs. We purchased it pretty much for what you said. For 20 foot box you get the interior room of a 30' box.

#whatareicons LOL

Both your trucks are solid, xoxo Jimbo

lol thanks ;)

uscg2008

Explorer
We have a 23 foot Thor Tahoe right now and we will prob get what you have as our next trailer. Just seems a bit more liveable if you are planning anything more than 3 days.
dbe938e49641ac6b857abef089043215.jpg

412d362afaa920c75694436fab7a2e8f.jpg

1f83f035f2526f9a607e0566c62adc23.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big50

Adventurer
We have a 23 foot Thor Tahoe right now and we will prob get what you have as our next trailer. Just seems a bit more liveable if you are planning anything more than 3 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice. The living space is definitely nice. Plenty of room to hang out.

Big50

Adventurer
Went out for a spring break adventure with the family. Kind of last minute, we were originally going to head down to Baja for the week but with Easter and the Score San Felipe 250 we decided it would be to crazy busy down there for the kind of trip we wanted. Plus, it would have been a major rush/expense to get my sons passport in time. So, we decided to head to Big Sur for a few days then to Pismo for some camping on the beach. It's been probably 10 years since I camped in a tent on the dunes, kind of sucks when it's windy lol. Luckily it died down in the evening.

_G7A7771 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

_G7A7768 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

_G7A7752 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

_G7A7794 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

_G7A7797 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

_G7A7797 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

My sons new friend...Mr. Pickles lol

_G7A7802 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

_G7A7861 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

Little man taking it all in. Love being able to expose him to natures beauty.

_G7A7871 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

_G7A7886 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

_G7A7891 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

_G7A7899 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

Partner in crime

_G7A7901 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne