Big50's 2017 F250 Build

Big50

Adventurer
Yes, I have a problem...I'm the first to admit I'm a car/truck addict. I think it stems from growing up poor and being piled into a tiny Toyota Tercel with my 2 brothers and parents with no radio, and ac.

Anyhow, I purchased a 2017 F250 with the intention of setting it up as a chase, tow, and overland vehicle 3 months ago. The Raptor will continue to be my primary expedition vehicle but F250 will see some good use. I want to set the 250 up to camp out of the back and be a capable rig in it's own right.

Overall, I went for a "clean & mean" look as I like to call it. I went with the Icon 2.5" stage 4 lift. The 250 sits so high from the factory I decided to try and keep it as low as possible while allowing the clearance of 37's. To run 37's it required a tiny bit of trimming of the plastic in the inner fender. Other than that they fit amazingly! With all the torque of 900+ LBS I can't even tell I'm running 3" taller tires. The ride is much improved as well.

Picture with my son for scale.
37627403245_e8e5dd2d25_b.jpg

The lift install was pretty straight forward and was able to do it pretty much by myself other than with the new alignment cams. My buddy had to help with that. Felt good to do the work myself. First time working on a SFA vehicle.

For tires I went with 37" Falken MT's. They have a been a bullet proof tire on the Raptor so I decided to run them on the 250 as well. They are wrapped around a 17" KMC holeshot wheel.

I also swapped out the stock side steps for some Rhino Raptor styler side steps. They sit nice and tight up against the cab and dramatically improve ground clearance over stock.

The valance was swapped out for a 2wd valance which is about half the size of the 4wd valance. Again, improving clearance.

To help secure cargo in the bed I used tie downs which are actually a Ram part. You have to drill out the wholes a bit but they secure to the bed bolts. I then ran a chain through them. I have a bed rack in my Raptor but doing a rack in this would mean I could not sleep in the bed so this is a compromise. I'll share some pics with it all loaded up soon.
37627380975_d875f49718_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4555/37627382595_8f44cf4136_b.jpg[/img]

I have a softopper that will I'll be installing tomorrow.

I'm super excited how it turned out. I'll be taking it out for a trip to the Mono Lake and Mammoth area Thanksgiving weekend with the family. We'll see how she does!

_G7A5388 by Big5050, on Flickr

_G7A5401 by Big5050, on Flickr

_G7A5417-2 by Big5050, on Flickr

_G7A5397 by Big5050, on Flickr

_G7A5410 by Big5050, on Flickr

BackcountryAggie

Good looking truck. I just sold my ‘15 6.7 and picked up a ‘17 6.7 last weekend. I’m about to pull the trigger on a Carli 2.5” kit for mine, is there a reason you went with the Icon setup over Carli? Hoping to find a good Black Friday deal this next week if possible.

I’ll be putting my 35x12.50x17 Toyo MTs and Methods from the ‘15 on the new one, then upgrading to 37s when they wear out. Good to see that the 17” wheels still fit on these new trucks without issue. I was a little worried when I saw they upgraded the brakes, but the XLs still had 17” wheels from what I could tell.

SteelSaguaro

A great start. Subscribed to follow along for ideas for my '15 F350. The 37s look great, a nice balance. I'm curious to know how much the rear end height changed and if you went with the F350 4 inch blocks.

Big50

Adventurer
Good looking truck. I just sold my ‘15 6.7 and picked up a ‘17 6.7 last weekend. I’m about to pull the trigger on a Carli 2.5” kit for mine, is there a reason you went with the Icon setup over Carli? Hoping to find a good Black Friday deal this next week if possible.

I’ll be putting my 35x12.50x17 Toyo MTs and Methods from the ‘15 on the new one, then upgrading to 37s when they wear out. Good to see that the 17” wheels still fit on these new trucks without issue. I was a little worried when I saw they upgraded the brakes, but the XLs still had 17” wheels from what I could tell.

Thanks! I've always heard great things about Carli. I've been running Icon on my Raptor for 4 years now and have always loved the kit so I figured why not go with them for the 250. They are sponsor EXO which I co-own so I get a really good deal on their stuff. I can get you setup with a really good deal if you're not dead set on Carli. I hear good things about Thuren as well.

A great start. Subscribed to follow along for ideas for my '15 F350. The 37s look great, a nice balance. I'm curious to know how much the rear end height changed and if you went with the F350 4 inch blocks.

Thank you, the definitely fit the truck well. I'll have to get back to you and measure the stock block that's in there now. The rear height is stock other than the additional ground clearance form the taller 37's.

In other news, installed the Softopper today. Pretty pleased with it. Gives the truck a military look imo. Install is straight forward and the instructions are great. Best part is you can remove the whole thing other than the bed rails in under 5 minutes.

88c283817c521e3e2fb1db1d2750cef8.jpg

7b1b08537b61ee132ea43f4c7e1adb2e.jpg

adam88

Explorer
Awesome looking truck. I love the new aluminum body super duties! Only thing I am not a fan of is the tires sticking out past the fender, but that's only because the cops around here are such dicks that if the tire is sticking out past the fender even 1/2" they will pull you over and ticket you. So I've always tucked my tires with fender flares. Cool ride :)

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Try the Bushwacker Extend a fender flares to cover those tires. They shower the truck with rocks if not covered. Just remember to put vinyl wrap tape under the rubber fender lip to keep it from eating paint.

The new Super Duties are irresistible with plenty of leftover 2017's on the lot. That's how I got mine. I'm doing a 2" bds level and 295/75r17. (gas engine, no prerunning in Ohio either LOL.)

Big50

Adventurer
Sweet ride. Looks perfect with your setup.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Awesome looking truck. I love the new aluminum body super duties! Only thing I am not a fan of is the tires sticking out past the fender, but that's only because the cops around here are such dicks that if the tire is sticking out past the fender even 1/2" they will pull you over and ticket you. So I've always tucked my tires with fender flares. Cool ride :)

Same here and why I had to get one. Yeah, I'm going to have to add some flairs at some point.

Great looking truck man. I love the look of the new Super Duty.

Same here and thank you.

Try the Bushwacker Extend a fender flares to cover those tires. They shower the truck with rocks if not covered. Just remember to put vinyl wrap tape under the rubber fender lip to keep it from eating paint.

The new Super Duties are irresistible with plenty of leftover 2017's on the lot. That's how I got mine. I'm doing a 2" bds level and 295/75r17. (gas engine, no prerunning in Ohio either LOL.)

Thank you...yeah I'm going to have to add those at some point. I know they tires will kick up debris.

Nice...congrats on the pickup. The truck runs great with the stock suspension so a leveling kit is a great option.

One more pic from this morning with softopper. I really love this truck lol.

ed39347d27d20537d0276f30c7b655f5.jpg

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Nice build thus far! I'm interested to see what you do with the bed chain... I've never seen that done before. I've been looking hard at one of these in the supercab config. I'd love the 4 doors, but these things make my crew cab Silverado look like a mid-size.

FireGuy

Adventurer
Awesome build. Thinking of going the same route. Almost went Tundra but they just don't offer what I need.

SHS14

Love the project and drives big ideas for me. Thanks for taking the time to post up your new adventure.

Bojak

Adventurer
Did you do the softopper brand cover, or the bestop version? Love the rig, and keep the pics coming.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles