Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak duramax 4x4 conversion...from medical attack vehicle to mild mannered 'cody'

still ripping through it ... electrical - tracing circuits and removing any that i don't need ... have a small mountain of wire behind the rig on the floor now.

one 'nice' thing about doing all the work on your own is you find 'other' things you didn't know needed repairs - had to take the air box off to get to some electrical (still cutting out the HVAC hoseline crap) and found that the air box was damaged / burned through in the bottom? kodiak guys may want to check yours too - would appear to be something that is probably a universal issue based on the engine heat melting through it. the vac line out the bottom was just about toast too

the more i go through this rig the less pleased I am with with Global Emergency Vehicles (GEV). they claim to be a seller of refurbished ambulances ... bull**** ... this thing was barely washed before they sold it. i've found quite a few things that would be unacceptable from a used car dealer much less a company selling emergency/life saving equipment. three thumbs down
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim

2008 Chevy C4500 4x4 Duramax, former Wheeled Coach "medical attack vehicle" ... transformation underway
    2015 Grand Cherokee 3.0 diesel ORA-II with doodads and stuff added

Quote Originally Posted by Cowpig View Post
    those are sweet .. i rough measured for 43" yesterday and i'm pretty sure i'd have to trim the bottom few inches in the rear wheel well, but i've never stuffed the tires on this rig so i'm not positive how much articulation it has back there. i'd prefer to stay in the 40" range for a variety of reasons and that looks like a nice tire - even though its rated for 'only' 68 that's probably the right cruising speed for me anyway

2018...wow....'nother year and new toy how's your truck doing, started yet?
    I haven't started yet. I'm in Baja now and have a couple of months to research and plan. Truck is back in AZ and insured. Itching to get going but also enjoying it down here.

I'm hearing that the downside to the mpt81's is a short life. Only 20,000 miles probably on these trucks. I'm still looking into other options.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
    1998 FirstRoamer (ER2K)
    Long List of Used to Own: 2000 Chinook Diesel Concourse - 2006 Gulfstream Vista Cruiser (sprinter chasis) - 2001 Sportsmobile 4x4 - 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD - 199? Volkswagon Adventure Wagon - 198? Volkswagon Vanagon

Firstroamer.com
    Sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com
    The Happenings on the Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Cowpig View Post
    still ripping through it ... electrical - tracing circuits and removing any that i don't need ... have a small mountain of wire behind the rig on the floor now.

one 'nice' thing about doing all the work on your own is you find 'other' things you didn't know needed repairs - had to take the air box off to get to some electrical (still cutting out the HVAC hoseline crap) and found that the air box was damaged / burned through in the bottom? kodiak guys may want to check yours too - would appear to be something that is probably a universal issue based on the engine heat melting through it. the vac line out the bottom was just about toast too

the more i go through this rig the less pleased I am with with Global Emergency Vehicles (GEV). they claim to be a seller of refurbished ambulances ... bull**** ... this thing was barely washed before they sold it. i've found quite a few things that would be unacceptable from a used car dealer much less a company selling emergency/life saving equipment. three thumbs down
    Thanks for these pictures. They scare me a bit, but will be useful if I don't tear down this far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
    1998 FirstRoamer (ER2K)
    Long List of Used to Own: 2000 Chinook Diesel Concourse - 2006 Gulfstream Vista Cruiser (sprinter chasis) - 2001 Sportsmobile 4x4 - 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD - 199? Volkswagon Adventure Wagon - 198? Volkswagon Vanagon

Firstroamer.com
    Sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com
    The Happenings on the Hill

enjoy baja, the ambulance will be there when you get back

the wiring is very well marked, i'm (hopefully) only removing the circuits that I don't need anymore (emergency lights, life support, etc). now that about half of the wires are out of the way it's getting a lot easier to trace them - of course I had to cut about 200 zip ties that had everything bound together. I've got 8 power wires identified going to the engine/front bumper (4 were for the front grille lights, 2 were a/c lines for the rear hoseline, 1 is an 'aux', and 1 is an unlock button for a hidden switch in the grill) ... some will be for known projects, some i'll leave for future projects or needs.

There are 2 main goals with tackling that electrical panel though - when I first ripped all the cabinets out that area at the top of the compartment / behind the panel was completely concealed - found a few other areas like that. Given the relatively small size of this rig as an RV I need all that space I can find - so i've removed a bunch of gear that was on the panel (kussmaul plug auto eject alarm, hoseline electronics, whelen signal flasher, etc) and now I think I can move the remaining items at the very bottom up then cut off the bottom and lower the whole panel down = access to that formerly inaccessible area. The other goal was to get rid of the 4 plug outlet thats on the floor in front of the panel - only 3 were used (1 was the engine block heater) but where they put that is in the way... i ran the block heater to the front bumper for now and will change to a 2 plug box then move that outlet to the panel and get it out of the way too.

i'm hoping that it's like building a house, a lot of the prep work takes most of the time then it all starts coming together quickly at the end. I think UPS is tired of visiting my house every day for the last month though
    Jim

2008 Chevy C4500 4x4 Duramax, former Wheeled Coach "medical attack vehicle" ... transformation underway

Do you know what the wheelbase and overall length of your truck is?

Quote Originally Posted by cjken View Post
    Do you know what the wheelbase and overall length of your truck is?
    edit for future searches: OAL is 280" / 23.3' , WB is 180" / 15'

anyone with military super singles, how thick is the center/disc? i'm looking around at options, and the custom built are saying they use 3/8" thick but can do up to 1/2" steel .... I thought the military ones were 3/4" (steel, aluminum)? this is new stuff to me so sorry if it's a dumb question, just don't want the wrong wheels and a catastrophe!
    Last edited by Cowpig; 01-12-2018 at 04:27 AM.
    Jim

I donít know much about the larger military tires and rims, but I ran the 37Ē H1 tires and rims for a while and they were hard to balance and super noisy in the highway. I drove across the country in them but eventually changed them out for more standard rims and tires.
    Those mpt 81 tires look interesting and could potentially work. They seem to run them single on big heavy unimogs.
    Staying dually with 19.5 or 22.5 rims would probably be ok for most situations except sand where you might want to air down.

I donít know about the custom military setups I did see someone on eBay selling beadlock rims for the c4500.
    I also saw someone running international mxt aluminum rims with the mpt 81ís on a c4500

i talked to 1stattack engineering this morning, very helpful guy - he can supply super singles for these kodiaks, but he uses a 1" spacer in the back to try and correct the track .... i'm not interested in spacers at all though. he also advised he'd installed the mpt81's on his personal f550 and it felt like he had solid rubber tires ...

(fyi/Stazworks advised he recommends a 1/2" spacer in the back to adjust for the track)

the more research i do i'm leaning away from SS's, the reality for my plans and needs is LONG highway time (20+ hours) on the superslab before I get to the dirt - so I cannot risk degrading the ride at 70 on pavement just to increase my traction off road (i won't be doing any really serious crawling or overlanding....probably )

looking into 22.5's and how tall/wide I can fit on this truck just to have a backup plan. I actually wanted to stay in the 37-40" OD anyway, which was another challenge for super singles but easier to accomplish in 22.5's (except it seems if I want decent offroad tread in a taller 22.5 tire)

can't nuthin' be easy
    Jim

Following along on your tire quest. I am kinda in the same boat, I think the dualies will be sticking around. Know how to get rocks out of them (its easy) and just know they will hunt around in ruts. I dont know if anyone makes a 22.5 in my bolt pattern....Hmm Ill have to check.

But I too want to be in the 37-40" range (on the 37" side I can do wo/ lift I think)

Thanks Joaquin- the guy did say he was only using them under an empty pickup bed so that may be why they felt solid on his rig. Mine would be a lot heavier

I’ve got time to decide ... the advantages of SS’s are plentiful and would love to find STRYKER wheels at a fair price (ones on eBay at 550/ea are overpriced imo).

edit; if i go the route of spacers ... who makes them? anyone already have spacers on their rig?
    Last edited by Cowpig; 01-11-2018 at 12:27 AM.
    Jim

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast