Popping sound? What could this be?

zephyrmist

Hey all…
I have started to notice a, be it hear or feel, a slight pop sound when turning the steering wheel either way, and sometimes just after I've turned, as I'm taking off. I barely turn the wheel about 1/2 to 3/4 rotation, up to a full turn, like when backing out of the garage, and I hear/feel this slight pop; it doesn't happen all the time. I never noticed it while down in Florida (warm weather), but since I've been up in Ohio, two weeks now, I've started hearing/feeling it. The weather here is cold and dreary, very wet too. I wonder if the cold temperatures have changed, is causing something to pop? The weather suxs, it affects me! :(

I've had the axles checked at 90k miles, when they did the timing belt service; all was good then. The axles were replaced around 75k under warranty, and every since then I worry that it has to be done again. I now have 140k. I'm not really sure why the axles were replaced, the dealer did it; recall?.

A friend took and drove around in tight circles last weekend when I first started noticing the sound. He said by turning tight in both directions, that if a consistent popping sound were heard/felt then it could be the drive axles; we never noticed any popping sound or feel during this test. He suggested it could be my big tires (P275/60R20 Toyo Open Country on Tundra wheels), as they do rub if the AHC is in low position and I'm turning the wheel, but I rarely have it in low. Maybe the track bar? or because of freezing temps? maybe the joints have started sticking? IDK. My joints stick and hurt in the cold sometimes, maybe my LX's is feeling the cold too! :lol:

Any thoughts?

Arktikos

Explorer
This is a 100 series LX which would have torsion bars in the front I believe. OK, maybe steering rack bushings? Just a guess. :smiley_drive:

FJOE

Regular Dude
I am just at 140k in my T100. I have the same issue, and from what I can observe, seems to be issues with bushings up front. I am going to get under there this weekend and grease everything I can and we will see what happens.

zephyrmist

I am just at 140k in my T100. I have the same issue, and from what I can observe, seems to be issues with bushings up front. I am going to get under there this weekend and grease everything I can and we will see what happens.

Well, I would do the same, grease everything up, except that I've never done it before and I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I hate to take it to the dealer; they ALWAYS find something wrong that I was never even aware was wrong. Lexus dealers, even Toyota, when I have taken my LX in, has constantly found something other than the general service I needed to do at that time. Lie the axles for instance; I didn't know I had axle issues until they told me they needed to be replaced. Thankfully it was under warranty and didn't cost me anything for that part. Their services are so expensive too. Like the basic oil change at $99.00 plus. BY the time I get to the register its $108.xx! I really need to find a good shop who can help me keep an eye on things and not take advantage of me.

Summit Cruisers Jr

I have a similar popping going on up front on my 80 series. If I turn hard from center I get occasional pops that I can hear and feel with my feet. It has slowly gotten worse over the past year or so. If I turn all the way one way and return to center and then turn that same way again I don't get the pops unless I go towards the opposite way or I hit a bump or hit the brakes and the body leans. I am suspecting its either my trunnion bearings, some random bushing (control arm bushings aren't that old and everything appears to be in great shape), drive flanges (these I know are a little bit worn), or possibly some body mount that is allowing movement, but they all seem tight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles