New noise from my 1995 Monty SR.... advice please....

mtnblue

Observer
I have a noise coming from my crank pulley that sounds like a cross between loose valve tappets and a bad bearing. I listened for the noise at the point of the front crank seal and it is quiet- the noise is only coming from the front crank pulley and is getting progressively louder by the minute. Ideas? Crank pulley doesn't seem to be loose (I know about the loose nut thing- but don't know if it has been replaced yet) and it doesn't seem to be wobbling. The truck has 105k miles on it and is in primo condition (except for the noise). Here's a dropbox link where you can watch a short video and hear the the tapping noise.... it screeches/knocks too like bad bearings. I originally thought it was bad air conditioning compressor pulley bearings but figured out the noise was from the crank:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5o6v4erp4ytb0s/20171120_144523.mp4?dl=0&m=

Also see that attached photo and tell me what it is. I thought it was a remote oil filter, but it isn't attached to anything- note the electrical connection on the top, with no wire on it

20171120_155027.jpg

Last edited:

mtnblue

Observer
Where do those black hoses go to coming off the filter adapter? The sensor is likely for a temp reading.
That's the funny thing.... those two hoses are the same hose in a U shape. It leaves the filter, goes up to the crossmember under the radiator, makes a U turn and comes back down to the filter. It doesn't go anywhere. And there is a sensor wire on it.... go figure. You ever seen anything like it? Before I took off the skid plates, i thought " cool, he has a remote oil filter (although I don't think it is such a good place up in front of the engine). I figured it would make oil changes easier.... but its not attached to anything.....

mtnblue

Observer
any ideas of noise coming from crank pulley? I cannot figure out what it could be.... there aren't any bearings in there, right? It's just pressed on, right? what should I do to further investigate? Take all the belts off and run the truck without?

DanielDD

Vehicle Masochist
Here is what I would do. It is obvious you have a noise and it is most likely coming from the bottom of the engine. To try and isolate it, take a large flat bladed screwdriver and put the metallic end on the bottom of the crankcase pan and the other end of the screwdriver to your ear (this works if you don't have a mechanic's stethoscope). If the noise is NOTICEABLLY louder at the pan, then you most likely have a bearing issue - could be either a main bearing or a connecting rod bearing.

If the sound is not coming from the crankcase pan, then I would then start removing your accessory belts in the hopes that you have a bad bearing in one of your accessories.

Let us know what you find and good luck!

mtnblue

Observer
I used a garden hose and it is quiet at the main bearing location and very noisy at the crank pulley.... looks like I need to start taking stuff off. THanks...

DanielDD

Vehicle Masochist
I used a garden hose and it is quiet at the main bearing location and very noisy at the crank pulley.... looks like I need to start taking stuff off. THanks...

Good. There are no bearings at the crank pulley, but you should be aware that directly behind the crank pulley is the oil pump. It could possibly be making noise, but if that - then you would have oil pressure issues. Would be interested to know what you find out once you pull the belts off...

mtnblue

Observer
Someone on the Montero FSM facebook page thought it might be the timing belt tensioner. If that is the case, it may mean that I need to take the crank pulley etc. The motor has 105K on it, and apparently the timing belt was done ( I am told) at 70k- and it looks like they replaced the water pump, the belt tensioner, idler, thermostat, and radiator hoses. If I had to go in there... while I am there, is there anything recommended that should be replaced? Crank bolt for sure.... OEM or good aftermarket dealer? It also appears to be using a little oil, I am guessing valve guides... since I am in it this far, should I replace those too as well as plugs, wire, ......anything else comes to mind? OEM? If I have to go in there, I might as well dial everything in while I have the parts off. I read somewhere that the butterfly valves have issues on older engines... is that something to look at too?

DanielDD

Vehicle Masochist
I don't understand why the tensioner would be making the kind of noise you have as it is nothing more than a spring loaded rod. If those items were replaced at the 1st timing belt change, then they should be of no concern at the moment. I would wait and investigate further until you know what you are up against. When the belts are off you should be able to listen with a screwdriver in the area where the timing belt runs (tensioner, idler) and determine if the noise is coming from that particular area. You'll need to be careful as you are dealing with rotating masses (crankshaft) even with the belts off...

mtnblue

Observer
I started to take the radiator out and gave up after I couldn't figure out how to loosen the belt tensioner on the power steering pump. It seemed both ways I screwed the bolt it was tightening. And getting at the bolts on the fan shroud made me realize that I needed to get someone younger than I with smaller arms and more limber in order to get anything done in there. Looks like I will take it to a shop and let them figure it out. It's not simple enough for me to figure out. I am too old to be working in tight places like that (and I don't know enough about mechanics, so I can REALLY screw something up.

DanielDD

Vehicle Masochist
I started to take the radiator out and gave up after I couldn't figure out how to loosen the belt tensioner on the power steering pump. It seemed both ways I screwed the bolt it was tightening. And getting at the bolts on the fan shroud made me realize that I needed to get someone younger than I with smaller arms and more limber in order to get anything done in there. Looks like I will take it to a shop and let them figure it out. It's not simple enough for me to figure out. I am too old to be working in tight places like that (and I don't know enough about mechanics, so I can REALLY screw something up.

You will have to loosen the bolt that holds the pulley in place, first. Then you can easily loosen the other bolt (the one that tightens/loosens the belt).

I completely understand why you don't want to mess with it. It is tight quarters trying to get around in there. Please keep us informed as to what the source of the noise is.

mtnblue

Observer
You will have to loosen the bolt that holds the pulley in place, first. Then you can easily loosen the other bolt (the one that tightens/loosens the belt).

I completely understand why you don't want to mess with it. It is tight quarters trying to get around in there. Please keep us informed as to what the source of the noise is.

I thought that was the case, but I am just too big and too old to be able to contort to get my hands in there. I'll let you know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles