TPS Wierdness.

HartPA

So I put a new throttle position sensor and ignition coil in yesterday, and now the truck doesn't run right. In park or neutral, it'll rev to about 2500, then fall on its face, in drive, it gets to about 2000 rpm before it falls over. It idles just fine. My more mechanically inclined friend is on his way to see if we can get this figured out.

Have any of you guys had this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks in advance.

HartPA

Put the old tps back on, seems to have solved the problem. Weird, new one must have been defective.

HartPA

Tried adjusting it first, nothing seemed to make any difference at all. You're probably right though, its always something like that.

On a semi-related note, whoever engineered the spark plug locations on this engine should be drug out into the street and shot.

WOODY2

Adventurer
On some units (BMW motorcycles) key is turned to accessory position and throttle is cycled from idle to wide open a couple of times, turn key off then start as normal?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Tried adjusting it first, nothing seemed to make any difference at all. You're probably right though, its always something like that.

On a semi-related note, whoever engineered the spark plug locations on this engine should be drug out into the street and shot.

Ha ha, I'm just glad the plugs are good for 80-100k miles.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
If the maintenance schedule is followed and nothing weird happens, you have no reason to touch the plugs.

HartPA

299,000 miles, no idea when they were last done, and an intermittent miss on cylinder 2, seems like a decent enough reason to change the plugs and wires to me.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
With that mileage and no history I agree. I'd also pull the fuel rail and do injector maintenance while you have it apart.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
If the maintenance schedule is followed and nothing weird happens, you have no reason to touch the plugs.

The big IF is not usually the case, more often than not used cars come with ZERO history and it's best to err on the side of caution and just change them, at least that's the logical approach.

HartPA

With that mileage and no history I agree. I’d also pull the fuel rail and do injector maintenance while you have it apart.

The big IF is not usually the case, more often than not used cars come with ZERO history and it's best to err on the side of caution and just change them, at least that's the logical approach.

That's what I was thinking, I'm on a mission to replace most everything on this truck, though I'm kind of random in my approach.

Doing the injectors is a good idea, too, I hadn't thought of that.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I don't know how long injectors are rated to last, I had mine bench tested and they came out fine, I just put them back in. I did replace every seal associated with them though, I'm glad I did that. The seals that sit against the manifold were hard as a rock so they were due.

HartPA

...and it just feels good.

not the doing it part but the having got it done part feelsgood

This is true. Got the plugs and wires in, now that's one less thing to worry about.

As for the TPS, a friend of mine is pretty sure he can calibrate it, just have to find some time to get over there during the day.

The really sad thing is, the intake and all that is going to have to come back off at some point in the next couple of months, to fix a leaky valve cover gasket. I'd have had the shop do it while they had the thing taken apart for the plugs, that would have been cheaper in the long run, but in the short run I couldn't pull an extra $300 out of my *** to pay for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier