6X6 Expedition RV--back on the market

Large format overland camper at an affordable price. $50,000 obo

I’m moving to the East Coast and sadly, the time has come for me to part ways with Black n Tan 6X6RV. I’ve logged nearly 10,000 miles in this rig with zero problems—I’d drive it anywhere—and have plenty of pics to prove it. Black n Tan was originally designed for military duty from the subtropics to the artic and is particularly well suited for off-grid camping, remote race pitting or heavy equipment work in the Southwestern Deserts. Registered and insured in CA as an RV. If you want to run circles around the million-dollar rigs off-road where it counts--this truck is for you. Runs down the freeway at 60+mph with no problem. Surprisingly easy to drive on and off road and it tracks straight as an arrow.

Located in Rancho Cucamonga, CA.
More information and many more pictures at 6X6RV.com.
email: thosemilitaryguys@gmail.com
phone: 909.703.1400

THE TRUCK:

Black n Tan 6X6RV started life as a 1992 M934 A2 in the US Army Reserve. It had 4,745 miles on it when purchased in 2015. The Army did a fantastic job of keeping the truck ready for battle, she was in like new condition. Since then, the truck has been continuously and professionally maintained and optimized for use as a “go anywhere with anything” overlanding RV. Partial list of features/upgrades:

Less than 14,000 original miles
8.3 Cummins turbo diesel
Allison 5-speed Automatic Transmission
6-wheel drive (full time 4-wheel drive with ability to engage front wheel drive from inside cab)
Anti-lock Brakes
Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS)
160 amp alternator upgrade
6 brand new tires in 2017—not surplus or old stock but new—it matters
Keyed doors and ignition
Pyrometer and boost gauge
Lowrance GPS
Seats out of 2017 Dodge Caravan (new when installed)
Lockable storage under seats
4” exhaust with Magnaflow muffler
Ram-air intake with raised scoop
Back up camera
Interior dome light
Reverse light (switchable from inside cab)
Rear Pit/Trailer lights
2 40” LED Light Bars
Ballistic Window Tint for UV protection, not dark tint
Dimensions: Length—30’ 2.6” -- Width—8’ 2-- Height—13’ 2”
Fuel Capacity: 81 Gallons
Complete professional service/inspection in February 2020

THE CAMPER:

Custom cab-over with walk through, 100 gallons of water, kitchen island with stainless steel counter top and room for all of your gear. 2 full length slide outs open the camper to over 13 feet wide. Heated and Air Conditioned--It's not the Ritz Carlton, but a very capable, well thought out off grid camper for sure. Partial list of features/upgrades:
Professionally added custom cab over addition with walk-through to cab and large sleeper

Heated and Air Conditioned
2 full length slide-outs (opens to 14ft wide!)
100 Gallon Fresh water
Eccotemp i12-LP Tankless Water Heater
8 speaker audio system that rocks
DVD Player
Kenwood Race Radio (the big one) with small antenna for chase and base camp antenna with 20 ft. mast
10 quality LED interior lights
(4) AGM 6 volt deep cycle (200 AH) house batteries making 12volts
Battery Minder Solar Tender (VDC SCC015)
2300 watt inverter (with many outlets in cab) will run TV, microwave, etc…
LED television on swivel mount
30 amp Boondocker 4-stage convertor charger
Kitchen with stainless steel counter-top, three burner cook top, stainless steel sink; tons of storage
Outside Shower with shower tent and thetford curve porta potti
Aluminum loading ramp allows loading with hand truck--1200 LB capacity, 26” wide X 14’ long
Smoke, Carbon Monoxide and LP Gas alarms
Dimensions of Box:
Interior height is 79" with slide out ceilings 75" tall
The length is 16' 10" (not including walk-thru portion or cab-over)
Width is 82.5" closed and 160.5" with both sides expanded
Rear door opening is 74" tall and 49" wide--allowing for easy loading of large items

THE TRAILER:

Includes matching flatbed trailer designed for use with this truck (10,000lb hauling capacity) —amazing performance off-road, condition same as truck—Fantastic! Includes 6’ aluminum ramps (6800 lb rating) that easily load a full-size vehicle. I used it to load and haul a pre-runner.

PICS

Black n Tan Hero image.JPG
Driver Side Mojave Road.jpg
prerunner on trailer1.jpg
rear door open with ktm.jpg
kitchen island.jpg
interior cab over bed.JPG
AC and LED lighting.jpg
rear expanded with flag.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you! It is definitely a Big Rig. I'm going to "downsize" my next project to an F550 or Ram 5500. I neglected to mention that it also has 6 brand new tires....not "new old stock" like many ex-military rigs but new, manufactured in 2017. I will update listing as well.

quickfarms

Adventurer
Are you required a Class B license to drive this?

class a required because of the trailer, trailer looks like a M1061, 5000 lbs empty with a 5 ton capacity

Interesting truck with 100 gallons of water.

What holding tanks does it have?

Is there a crapper?

Is there a generator? Shore power?
Propane? Heat?

I use a thetford curve porta potti and generally place it in a shower tent set up behind the truck with access to the outside shower. It has no holding tank for grey water--the sink drains straight down. I use a 5 gallon bucket on the rare occasion I need to contain my grey water. I carry two honda EU2000i companion type generators (with a 30amp cord) for power--plenty of room for these in storage boxes beneath truck. With 4 six volt AGM batteries and the inverter I only run them for an hour or so per day unless the roof top AC is running. It has 50lbs of propane on board with one 30lb horizontal tank and a 20lb (bbq type) tank that is portable and can be used for grill or to replenish the horizontal tank--contained in storage box beneath truck. The propane fuels an Eccotemp i12-LP Indoor Liquid Propane Tankless Water Heater with Vertical Vent Kit and a big buddy heater.

Registering the truck and trailer required CA DMV inspection and at that time I was told because it's registered as an RV a class C was all that was required. The trailer does "muddy the waters" a bit and I'm no expert on this subject. Quickfarms, you are correct--the trailer is an M1061.

Thanks for the questions!

I've not had any problems with leaks (sides open or closed) and have had it out in some very heavy rainstorms, particularly last season. During that time I did discover that the windshield rubber needed to be replaced and I did that.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles