Gen 3 replacement alternator?

My wife drove our new-to-us 2001 Montero XLS this evening and called to report that the dash had filled up with lights like a Christmas tree – – brake light, a/t light, check engine light, the whole nine. Runs fine, though. She also told me that the truck has refused to start several times over the last few days – – just a click without the starter turning over – – and only fires up after she tries multiple times. My online research indicates that this is likely a bad alternator and that a common way that alternators die is via oil residue...and this old truck is definitely leaking a lot of oil from the cam seals and valve covers. I’ve purchased all of the parts to repair the leaks and will do so soon but now I need to buy a replacement alternator as well.

I’ve read that the Gen 3’s don’t like aftermarket/cheap alternators. I’ve searched Amazon, eBay, rock auto, parts.com, etc. and I see expensive OEM and less-expensive reman options and I’m wondering which is the best choice. I would, of course, like to save $100 or so but am willing to pony up for the OEM version if it’s the clear/only choice.

Any input here would be appreciated.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Most auto parts stores will test the charging system for free, get everything tested and report back. If you have a local alternator rebuild shop that would be the best way to go.

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
She also told me that the truck has refused to start several times over the last few days – – just a click without the starter turning over – – and only fires up after she tries multiple times.

This sounds like a bad connection somewhere, maybe a loose or corroded battery terminal. If the battery doesn't have enough umph to turn over the starter AT ALL...and then all of a sudden does...then it isn't that the battery is not charged. It can't just try harder next time you turn the key. Something is breaking down between the 12.4v at the battery and the starter motor.

Like J-n-M said, get the battery and alternator tested before slinging "new" at it. Maybe it's neither, maybe both, but at least you'll know for sure. But I would get out and check the battery terminals, starter wires (including the signal wire), and the alternator wires before anything else.

For the record, I replaced my oil-soaked OEM alternator with a remanufactured Bosch AL4061X. I kept the old unit to tinker with, but picked up another junkyard alternator to send in as the core charge. So far it has been absolutely fine. 2-year warranty, plus a roadside assistance plan (2 free tows) were included with the purchase for peace of mind.

Last edited:

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Confirm the alternator is bad first.
Then order the OEM from RCHill Mitsubishi. Be sure the passenger front cam seal isn't leaking, it drips oil right into the alternator, eventually killing it. Yes, I did it before I learned of the cam seal, my second alternator (ouch), has been fine for several years, and it's nice not to have the cam seal leaking too. Where the oil comes out of the timing cover, you almost can't tell it is leaking, especially since it primarily leaks while running, and it heads straight for the alternator, and magically never left oil on the garage floor?

Here's the write-up for a Sport, but you get the idea. It's just another one of those Mitsubishi gremlins, that once you get it behind you, then happy camper, and proper maintenance going forward means it's likely you won't have to do it again.
https://www.justanswer.com/mitsubishi/6ri8z-mitsubishi-montero-sport-es-2003-montero-sport.html

BTW, to pull the cam seals, I simply drove a couple screws carefully into the old seal, with the drill/driver, then pulled the seal out with pliers. Properly sized section of PVC pipe drove the new ones in, just take a pic of how far in the seals sit, too far, and it's a bad day at slippery rock...

Edit: if you haven't built the crank holding tool yet...
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/156688-Igor-s-2002-Montero-gen-3-build?p=2064757#post2064757

4415d1466157342-timing-belt-reinstall-problems-2003-montero-3-8l-6g75-mitsu-balancer-003.jpg

Good Luck

Last edited:
jeep-N-montero, I took the Monty by Autozone and they checked battery and alternator. Both checked out fine. I'm not convinced that alternator is OK but I am starting to suspect ignition switch (though I don't see reports of that being an issue in Gen 3s). I crawled under the truck and confirmed that yes, the alternator is wearing a lot of oil.

alt.jpg

haolepinoy, first thing I checked was the battery wires and terminals but I have not checked starter or alternator wiring. I will. Good to know a reman Bosch unit worked well for you.

normal_dave wrote: "Be sure the passenger front cam seal isn't leaking"

It is. So are the valve covers and the rear cam seal. Oil coating everything down low. I'll be having a mechanic friend install new timing belt, water pump, crank bolt, etc. asap and I'll ask him to tackle rings and gaskets while he's in there.

Thanks for all replies.

Skidmarkart

Observer
Just an FYI - I had to do my Gen. 3 alternator in 2011. I bit the bullet and replaced it with an OEM. It has been 6+ years an not a hiccup since.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
jeep-N-montero, I took the Monty by Autozone and they checked battery and alternator. Both checked out fine. I'm not convinced that alternator is OK but I am starting to suspect ignition switch (though I don't see reports of that being an issue in Gen 3s). I crawled under the truck and confirmed that yes, the alternator is wearing a lot of oil.

View attachment 426508

haolepinoy, first thing I checked was the battery wires and terminals but I have not checked starter or alternator wiring. I will. Good to know a reman Bosch unit worked well for you.

normal_dave wrote: "Be sure the passenger front cam seal isn't leaking"

It is. So are the valve covers and the rear cam seal. Oil coating everything down low. I'll be having a mechanic friend install new timing belt, water pump, crank bolt, etc. asap and I'll ask him to tackle rings and gaskets while he's in there.

Thanks for all replies.

My suggestion is to buy a can of the CRC QD electronics cleaner and spray it out really well, could also try carb cleaner but let it sit overnight to dry completely, getting that oil residue cleaned out just may buy you some time.

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Hmmm...the sticker in your pic indicates a reman alternator already. The OEM isn't cheap, but worthwhile, especially if you are buttoning up the oil leaks. I also forgot to mention the holding tool works on the cam gear as well, to give you access to the front cam seals. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94