Sprinter 4WD vs Fuso FG

smoltz

Trying to decide between a Fuso FG \ Box build and a 4WD Sprinter. I like the lower price point on the sprinter and there is a lot more experience with the Sprinter, but I like the additional ground clearance and build flexibility the FG provides. Anyone go through this, any advice, thoughts, experience?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Probably figure out more what you really want to do so you can stop comparing apples to cantaloupes.

Yep, spot on.

Completely different usage regimes. The ride is incomparable between the two. Off road capability is going to be quite different, as is fuel economy. Try cruising down the highway at 80 in a fuso...

One is light commercial, the other heavy commercial oriented.

If you need the weight and off road capacity, the sprinter won't work. If you don't need them, then the trade offs in the fuso make no sense.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
A big differents besides GVW, speed, fuel economy and ground clearance is going to be new vs. old. The Sprinter will be new, and for a Fuso FG you want a 2007 or before model (hard to find now).
The Fuso with a reasonable box with be the same length as a Sprinter, but have much more room in the cabin.

luthj hit the nail on the head "If you need the weight and off road capacity, the sprinter won't work. If you don't need them, then the trade offs in the fuso make no sense."

rruff

Explorer
The Sprinter will be new, and for a Fuso FG you want a 2007 or before model (hard to find now).

Wouldn't the same caveat apply? When I looked at Sprinters I found a lot of evidence for not getting one with new emissions (will become permanently dysfunctional ~100k miles). There are no delete kits for them either. If there are delete kits for the FG, that would make it a better option.

For me, building a camper on a Tundra made the most sense. Way cheaper than the Sprinter, more offroad capable, more reliable. Don't need the weight capacity of the FG.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Wouldn't the same caveat apply? When I looked at Sprinters I found a lot of evidence for not getting one with new emissions (will become permanently dysfunctional ~100k miles). There are no delete kits for them either. If there are delete kits for the FG, that would make it a better option.

For me, building a camper on a Tundra made the most sense. Way cheaper than the Sprinter, more offroad capable, more reliable. Don't need the weight capacity of the FG.

Beside the 'emissions equipment' the Fuso FGs (in the US) lost their hi/low transfer case (single speed now) and got crazy computer control engine and transmission.

dlh62c

Explorer
Go Sprinter.

The Fuso is considered a commercial vehicle. Sourceing insurance will be problematic.

Regarding the Fuso, 2015 and later models seem to have the emisson and Duonic transmissions sorted out. Seems the 2012 model year is the worst possible year to own.

Forgot about doing emission deletes on either. Spend your time and money coming up with a strategy to make and keep the emission system working. People are traveling the world on later model CRD engines.

Run a biodiesel grade recommend by your owner's manual. Use engine oil that meets low ash specification CJ-4 and refrain from using fuel additives that leave an ash build up in the DPF from the combustion process and you should be good to go.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles