on bord hot showe in 2010 jku- heat exchange with exhaust pipie?

Kooke

I plan to build a hot and cold water system on my 2010 jku.

About 60-70 L' water thank will be installed under the Jeep on the driver side after relocating the canister filter currently there (sothing like the picture below)

TA64DA_JK_Jeep_LongRange_Fuel_Tank_HeatSheild_IMG_0613.jpg

I want to heat the water with a copper pipe wrapped around the exhaust pipe located right along the designed water tank and will function as a heat exchange.

My plan is doable? Someone has done already?

Any input will be welcomed.

thanks

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi Kooke,

I put a 35L water tank exactly where you are talking about, as a drinking water tank.

I don't know anything about making a heat exchanger, but after a long day driving in 100F temps, the water that comes out of my tank is plenty warm for a shower just from being next to the exhaust.

Yes, I put a steel rock guard on it.

I used a 35L tank because it was the biggest I could find in a stock size that would fit. Getting a custom tank made was going to be $500+, so I didn't go that route.
I kind of wish I did so it would be more like 60L like you say.

Tons of photos and DIY info on what I did here http://theroadchoseme.com/diy-4x4-water-tank-pump-filtration-and-treatment

-Dan

Kooke

Thank for the info

I saw that picture and that is how I'v decided about the location of my planned water tank.

I will not use it as drinking water. Any way I plan on custom madw stainless still tank. In that case I assume there is no need for skid plates protection for the tank (3mm stainless still). I guess that because the still is a better heat conductor maybe I will not need a heat exchange device though I'm spoiled and really like very hot shower even when offroading :Wow1:

I wiil give it a try with out heat exchange ....

BTW very nice project Dan

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
I plan to build a hot and cold water system on my 2010 jku.

About 60-70 L' water thank will be installed under the Jeep on the driver side after relocating the canister filter currently there (sothing like the picture below)

View attachment 426141

I want to heat the water with a copper pipe wrapped around the exhaust pipe located right along the designed water tank and will function as a heat exchange.

My plan is doable? Someone has done already?

Any input will be welcomed.

thanks

What timing!
I have been considering the exact same thing! I like the idea of using exhaust for a heat source sense it would heat up very quickly. My thoughts are sanding the exhaust to clean it and then wind copper tubing around it and then try and solder it to the exhaust. IF it will bond it would not rattle and the heat transfer would be more efficient. Then wrap the whole thing in header wrap.

I have doubts about using solder maybe just wrap it tight and use some hose clamps to hold it all tight to the exhaust?

unkamonkey

Explorer
Check out some of the boat forums, they have been doing things like this for years. If I'm around Lake Powell in the summer, after a few days there is no point in running the water heater.

Kooke

There will be no rattles if the copper pipe will be tightly wrapped.

What worries me is how do I prevent overheating ? Need ideas on that issue- I plan to install a way to disconnect the copper pipe any ideas on how? Remember it must be reasonably accessible

Bozman1

I've got hot water on my jeep (97 TJ). I heat it using a heat exchanger in line with my cooling system and have 2 valve after my pump so I can open each accordingly. I will be doing a big clean up on the system, but generally it'll stay the same. Honestly, if i have been driving and I turn my jeep off, set up camp, and show with the engine off, the water temp is absolutely perfect! I know its a different motor but it should be close to the same operating temp. If the water is too hot (first burst is usually scalding) then I can open up my cold water valve to even it out, but usually I just have it on full hot. The downside as you have probably though about is what if the exchanger fails and causes issues with the cooling system. Good thoughts... For that, I just keep extra coolant with me (always have anyway) and enough slack in the hose to reconnect it back to normal. If you want details of my setup just let me know! I would be able to get pictures as I am living out of the country for a while but I may have 1 and can explain thoroughly.

Kooke

To my knowledge the 3.8 engine of the JK is pron to overheat, especially if most of my trips will be in the desert. That's the reason why I don't want to mess with the cooling system.

Joe917

Explorer
To my knowledge the 3.8 engine of the JK is pron to overheat, especially if most of my trips will be in the desert. That's the reason why I don't want to mess with the cooling system.

Using the coolant to heat your domestic water will help cool the engine.
Wrapping copper around the exhaust is just asking for corrosion problems.

Bozman1

Yeah I totally understand that messing with the cooling system is a scary though specially in the desert heat. It worried me quite a bit but I figured as long as I installed everything well and didn't skimp on connections and such that it should be as reliable as any radiator. And Joe917 is right that technically it will help cool the engine to a point haha. Hell most of the time I don't even have water in the exchanger so it is just liquid/air cooling. I also though about the exhaust exchange but figured it would be a bit more expensive and not as efficient. I haven't talked to anybody who has done it so I cannot confirm however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles