Firearms and reservation land

Tswhit15

Hello everyone, I tried the search function and wasn't able to pull much up on this. I'm sure many have encountered similar issues. I've traveled somewhat extensively throughout the south west and even though I'm licensed I've never carried. I will be traveling out that way again this spring potentially and was looking to take a rifle or two with us. I understand that the laws differ between reservations but does anyone have any advice for traveling through reservation land with a firearm? Not looking to carry concealed if that makes any difference.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Hello everyone, I tried the search function and wasn't able to pull much up on this. I'm sure many have encountered similar issues. I've traveled somewhat extensively throughout the south west and even though I'm licensed I've never carried. I will be traveling out that way again this spring potentially and was looking to take a rifle or two with us. I understand that the laws differ between reservations but does anyone have any advice for traveling through reservation land with a firearm? Not looking to carry concealed if that makes any difference.

I'm not aware of any specific reservation law WRT fireararms. As long as you follow State law you should be fine. Obviously, shooting is subject to whatever tribal laws say, but merely carrying shouldn't be an issue. So don't set up a row of cans and start plinking on Rez land, that is likely to earn you a visit from the Tribal police. Best to save that activity for BLM or National Forest lands where it is generally permitted.
In many states (including CO) it is illegal to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle while the vehicle is moving (Handguns are exempt from this law.) However, this is really more of a safety measure than a criminal law - the definition of "loaded" (in CO at least) is having a round in the chamber - having a loaded mag in the firearm is OK just as long as the chamber is empty. From reading the law it's pretty obvious that it's intended to prevent accidental discharges while hunting using a vehicle.
Again, follow state law and you should be fine.

dpsmedic

Adventurer
I would search each individual tribal area to determine what their codes are. This document (I'm not affiliated with this document, just found it when doing research myself) provides some info for starting your search. http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/tribal_law_ccw.pdf

I would recommend consulting individual tribal areas. As indicated in this US National Park webpage, non-tribal members can be charged when carrying on Navajo lands. https://www.nps.gov/nava/learn/management/lawsandpolicies.htm. And this is but one of many different tribes.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I travel through native land all the time on my elk hunts, as long as you stay on the public access route through the property you are fine, it's when you leave the public road that you run into issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles