Health Insurance on the road

The Raven

I recently went into the healthcare marketplace cluster and will again not be covered with healthcare. We travel full time in north america and often wonder “what-if” I am WFR certified, wy wife will have her WFA soon. I carry a full med kit and know how to use it for most emergency room annoyances. We have no medical issues, no meds, etc etc...essentially have not needed a hospital for over a decade. The only thing I have to pay for are byyearly cleanings and replacing fillings occasionally at the dentist.

Can anyone suggest any insurance options similar to travel insurance that covers you while you are actively on the road...but not a regular plan?

rcharrette

Adventurer
Liberty Health Share

My Wife and I have been on the road full-time for over 2 years now. She is self employed and I homeschool our 2 boys on the road. My wife handles all of our insurance, etc so I don't have a lot of details but we started using Liberty Health Share about 1.5 years ago https://www.libertyhealthshare.org
We've made a few minor claims through them and never had any problems. Also, in researching the company we came across nothing but positive reviews.
Good luck!

driller

old soul wanderer
Really interested in hearing more about this. Most of the stuff on web is pretty generic. Any actual members around here?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Don't skimp out on insurance. I was in between jobs for 2 months and literally said to my GF "eh, I never used my insurance in the past 4 years...I don't think anything will happen to me for the next 2 months"....The day after my insurance expired (quite literally within 12 hours of it expiring) I was in the ER with a massive blood clot in my shoulder... Luckily I was able to figure something out but still took a 14k bank account hit. I was in the ICU for just over a week and my total bill was somewhere around 115k. I was 26 at the time and very healthy and active.

It can literally happen to anyone at anytime.

Get a basic plan. I think its called catastrophic insurance. Thats what I am on now. It is a plan that covers a massive hospital visit, Like I had, and its under $100 a month. The minor doc visits you pay out of pocket but I very very rarely use them.

Good luck.

driller

old soul wanderer
I agree with not skimping on insurance. But with what i'm being offered now on the exchange will not cover anything out of state. The deductible is 6000 and the premiums are 600 a month for just me. This looked like a viable option with the out of network coverage. The carrier I have now is pulling out of state, I have to change doctors that i have now and can't use the network i use now.

The Raven

I have to skimp of insurance unfortunately and have done so for the past 3 years. I have no debt, but I make under $1k per month. Health insurance even minimal payment is a no go for me. At this point I am simply hoping that if I do get admitted I will be simply treated and released as the doctors are required to stabilize me. Worse case scenario is I declare bankruptsy. :(

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
My Wife and I have been on the road full-time for over 2 years now. She is self employed and I homeschool our 2 boys on the road. My wife handles all of our insurance, etc so I don't have a lot of details but we started using Liberty Health Share about 1.5 years ago https://www.libertyhealthshare.org
We've made a few minor claims through them and never had any problems. Also, in researching the company we came across nothing but positive reviews.
Good luck!

We went a similar route, we use AlieraCare / Unity Healthshare.

Joe917

Explorer
We take the largest deductible possible for our US insurance. We can eat $10,000 if we have to but we could not afford a major injury without insurance.

TrueEarl

I recently went into the healthcare marketplace cluster and will again not be covered with healthcare. We travel full time in north america and often wonder “what-if” I am WFR certified, wy wife will have her WFA soon. I carry a full med kit and know how to use it for most emergency room annoyances. We have no medical issues, no meds, etc etc...essentially have not needed a hospital for over a decade. The only thing I have to pay for are byyearly cleanings and replacing fillings occasionally at the dentist.

Can anyone suggest any insurance options similar to travel insurance that covers you while you are actively on the road...but not a regular plan?
I was wondering how have you dealt with your problem. Did you find the insurance suitable for you? I am in a similar situation and I cannot afford a regular insurance plan, and the health insurance spends are out of my budget. I already began looking for insurance offers. Moreover, I have a friend that recommended this company https://www.taylorbenefitsinsurance.com/about-us/, as he applied at their services before and said that they have nice plans. But I would like to have more options. So, if you have any recommendations I'll appreciate that.

Last edited:

LowKeyOverland

We travel full-time and use World Nomads for travel insurance, which includes emergency medical and dental, everywhere except within 100 miles of your "home". It also covers other stuff like bag delays or theft, trip cancellation, etc.

It might not be the cheapest option depending on how you travel, but it's worth considering.

MTVR

Wow, after reading this thread, I am SO thankful that I get free medical insurance for life, as part of my retirement package as a retired polive officer...

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Yeah, I get my healthcare courtesy of the VA since I'm a service disabled veteran. Not free, but rather paid-in-advance. :)

Healthcare for my wife is the challenge, and we still use on of the healthshare ministries for her - just haven't found anything that isn't regional these days.

GabrielleTucker

I don't know much about insurance, even though I work as a nurse. In fact, a nurse like me doesn't need to know all this stuff if she has somewhere to go for professional advice. I'm so used to calling thefinitygroup.com when I need to ask a question like yours that I don't even research such questions myself anymore. There is too much misinformation on the internet. Although yes, your type of insurance may be similar to travel insurance since you don't get any medication or go to therapists monthly. Isn't there some dental insurance? If I were you, I'd contact the company I mentioned above and find out about that option. Maybe it really does exist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles