How do you keep your winch secure?

XJINTX

Explorer
Man, I'm glad I don't live in your towns ;) I'd be more worried about them stealing my whole truck before I'd even think about them just stealing my winch... steal truck and take what they want :) just my .02

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Theifs often find that stealing the bumper and winch is easier and more profitable than unbolting a winch. You need to protect both.
Welding a cover such as a 2" piece of metal sign posts over the bolts is better than welding on the bolts. Welding a harden steel bolt weakens it. Not much but a cover is better and you will feel better when it comes time to reuse the bolts.
If you didnt fall for the myth that synthetic line is better then just wrap your steel cable around the winch, bumper and frame then padlock the cable to itself. That's the easy and fast way to protect it.

frgtwn

Adventurer
Speaking of protecting your bumper, I've wondered if simply welding "fake" fasteners may be discouragement enough. On a bumper mount, you'd need a "bolt" welded on one side, and a threaded nut welded at the proper location on the other. (no guarantees from me)

As to stealing the bumper with the winch, my buddy and I remove the bumper with the winch without hesitation when needing to attend to the winch. That's with an ARB bumper. It's surprisingly simple.

Dale

Hummelator

Adventurer
If a thief is determined, there is nothing that will prevent him from taking what he wants.
The idea behind the unistrut and welded bolts is to make it harder to walk off with the winch or mount. At the end of the day what I've done helps me sleep easier.

robert

Expedition Leader
Another solution I've seen done is to use bondo to cover the bolts and then paint over it. You can make it look welded on without the hassle of welding and then grinding off if you ever have to pull it.

I've done this before, just be sure to check it periodically as the paint will flake off the Bondo.

WSS

Rock Stacker
_IKV5716_zps2katodnt.jpg

I run synthetic line. As long as it's tight, no one can really move it. A sharp knife would surrender it quick.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I run synthetic line. As long as it's tight, no one can really move it. A sharp knife would surrender it quick.
What are you saying, run your winch line snug? Switching to free spool would release the tension, too.

WSS

Rock Stacker
What are you saying, run your winch line snug? Switching to free spool would release the tension, too.

The tension is sufficient enough to keep the free spool lever locked tight. With leverage like a long screwdriver it might be possible to unlock but it would require a lot of effort. I have a dash mounted switch and just a bump will loosen all.

IMG_2821_zpsyemwlvbh.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The tension is sufficient enough to keep the free spool lever locked tight. With leverage like a long screwdriver it might be possible to unlock but it would require a lot of effort.
I guess I've never run mine that tight, doesn't seem that hard to turn under tension. Dunno. My line has to take a turn over the rollers to get to a place to hook so there may just be more slack in the system. I have an older XD9000, so similar to yours.

Tswhit15

All I remember is the way my after market bumper is set up you needed to contort your hands like a small child and crush then into a tiny spot in order to tighten the bolts on both the bumper and the winch. After installing, I remember thinking "thank god that's done". If someone gets it off and steals I'd be surprised. I'd be less surprised if they smashed my jeep out of anger and left me a note telling me how ridiculously it's attached after attempting to steal it.

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
How do I keep my winch secure?
I tell it how much I love it, every single day.

Seriously - if someone's gonna bother to steal your winch, there're likely to take the whole vehicle.

Superduty

Adventurer
How do I keep my winch secure?
I tell it how much I love it, every single day.

Seriously - if someone's gonna bother to steal your winch, there're likely to take the whole vehicle.

I was just about to say this....they can take your whole vehicle very easily. When someone wants to steal something they will. I used to worry about someone stealing my Tj (and winch)....now that there are so many JKs that are built up I figure they will steal one of those long before my 20 year old Jeep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles