New 4Runner Model options for exploring

Xhado

The premium version also differs from all other versions in that it has the KDSS suspension which controls the sway bars.

KDSS is available on both the TRD OFF ROAD and the TRD OFF ROAD Premium. (LC as well)

I don't know what tires come on the other trims, but the all-terrains that came on my off-road premium have handled surprisingly well.

The TRD OFF ROAD Premium comes with "Mud and Snow" tires. Only the TRD PRO comes with All-Terrains.

Neosapian

Innate Outdoor Co
A bone stock 4x4 Toyota with 32" All Terrains, bare bones recovery gear & a jerry can will crush it off-road. There's no doubt. However; factory options, TRD packages and stock off-road capability aside its the stock suspension that warrants concern when you start loading the truck down with people, provisions, gear and especially overland modifications.

I don't care which trim level you buy...Taco's, GX's and Runners ship with standard-duty suspension components and I personally would not expect an OEM suspension to remain comfortable or capable long term if you plan to load the vehicle and extract its true off road potential. It doesn't take much to exceed these vehicle's GVWR.

People all over the world have been wheeling throughout the gnarliest backcountry for decades without any of the modern tech & comforts we enjoy in our newer Toyotas... With so many choices, it's easy to get caught up in the features & specs. My claim is that a base-level late model 4x4 Yota with upgraded suspension and tires comprises an essential overland platform upon which things like ATRAC, KDSS, Leather Seats, and factory E-Lockers are simply nice-to-haves if the budget permits.

Buy whichever truck you prefer to pay for & live with every day, with the expectation of paying even more to equip it to meet demands that will likely exceed Toyota's published performance envelope.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
I don't care which trim level you buy...Taco's, GX's and Runners ship with standard-duty suspension components and I personally would not expect an OEM suspension to remain comfortable or capable long term if you plan to load the vehicle and extract its true off road potential. It doesn't take much to exceed these vehicle's GVWR.

Stay below the GVWR, and the stock suspension works very well. Honestly, I don't it makes sense to change out the suspension unless the owner plans on doing a full replacement kit (something like Icon or Old Man Emu). There are some cheap, and not so cheap, lift kits that add little in the way of suspension capabilities and arguably make the ride worse. The stock suspension components are very well-made and robust. It requires quite a bit of spent money to get into a kit that is substantially better than the stock setup.

Also, even if you rework the suspension, you should make every effort to stay below GVWR. The suspension capability isn't the only thing that factors into factory GVWR specs.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
KDSS is available on both the TRD OFF ROAD and the TRD OFF ROAD Premium. (LC as well)

The TRD OFF ROAD Premium comes with "Mud and Snow" tires. Only the TRD PRO comes with All-Terrains.

Nope. If I remember correctly, for the 2017 model year, KDSS was one of the differentiators between Off-Road and Off-Road Premium. Also, the Off-Road Premium that I purchased brand new this summer has All-terrains from the factory. They are not much better than the Dunlops that come on the SR5, but they do say all-terrain on the side.

Also, an update on the OEM tires. They are really not very good. I spent another day in Mojave this weekend. I now hate these tires.

Xhado

Nope. If I remember correctly, for the 2017 model year, KDSS was one of the differentiators between Off-Road and Off-Road Premium. Also, the Off-Road Premium that I purchased brand new this summer has All-terrains from the factory. They are not much better than the Dunlops that come on the SR5, but they do say all-terrain on the side.
Sorry but you're incorrect.

My 2017 TRD Off Road has KDSS.

If yours came with AT tires, they were not installed at the factory.

4Runner tires.jpg

Neosapian

Innate Outdoor Co
Stay below the GVWR, and the stock suspension works very well. Honestly, I don't it makes sense to change out the suspension unless the owner plans on doing a full replacement kit (something like Icon or Old Man Emu). There are some cheap, and not so cheap, lift kits that add little in the way of suspension capabilities and arguably make the ride worse. The stock suspension components are very well-made and robust. It requires quite a bit of spent money to get into a kit that is substantially better than the stock setup.

Also, even if you rework the suspension, you should make every effort to stay below GVWR. The suspension capability isn't the only thing that factors into factory GVWR specs.

Agreed.

Seems as though many owners over-load their rigs. I've been pretty particular about weight and balance with my 4th Gen Runner build. I even weigh mounting hardware and food... Something im used to doing for light-weight Backpacking, where every ounce counts.

I just got off the phone with a Tech at one of ARB's Australian offices. We were discussing Old Man Emu spring rates for my specific needs and the level of specificity he got into regarding load distribution and the multiplying factors of weight according to distance away from each axle was incredibly helpful. It turns out I'm not the only one who geeks out on weight & GVWR. We get a reasonable payload allowance on these vehicles (although the GX's published figure is to low for my use), but gear adds up quick. My position is if One cannot afford to replace the shocks/springs (as well as uppers, if you plan to clear 33's) One should manage expectations wisely regarding shock absorber and load bearing performance.

As a complete Noobie entering into this hobby, I recognized immediately that none of the stock suspension systems on these platforms would be adequate for even my conservative off road use. Too close to GVWR and want enough clearance to stuff 32 or 33" tires. This basically forced me into a full lift & upper installation. Hence, nullifying the significance of any available OEM options.

I made the mistake of opting for electronically adjustable dampeners on a Mk7 GTI from the Stealership... Now when I get coilovers Im stuck either eliminating this functionality, or spending an extra $800 for compatible coils. My XREAS? Sounds good on paper, but Im tearing it all out next month... Better to save cash and buy base model options if you suspect you'll need to upgrade/replace them later on.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles