New 4Runner Model options for exploring

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Happy Thanksgiving ExPo!

I am giving serious thought to getting back into the over-landing arena. I have had a host of built rigs from a few beloved 80 series, two built Tacomas, a mild 95 4runner build. The key word for this post is 'built.' As I look at the TRD PRO OFF ROAD UBER edition vs the super cushy Limited, I am curious if any of you have experience with the NEED to modify the rigs from the ground up or are the current offerings really good?

For example, my 06 Tacoma had the full treatment - ARB bumpers, winch, OME 2.5" lift, snorkel, locker etc. The thing is, it NEEDED a few of those mods. The rear factory springs are awful on the older Tacomas and the little boost in lift allowed for better tires. The rest was just feeding the G.A.S. problem.

So, is a TRD OFF ROAD 4Runner really ready to go or do the factory goodies wind up getting upgraded anyway? If so, why not start with a base rig and add the lift, locker etc and save some $ on the Toyota Premium priced gear?

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

Xhado

The TRD OFF ROAD has the same lift/suspension/tires as the base SR5.

The difference is the factory locker, crawl control and multi terrain select. There are some cosmetic difference such as wheels, hood, bumper valance, and some interior stuff.

You may be thinking about the TRD PRO which has the TRD lift/suspension/AT tires as well as cosmetic differences. Most of these changes are not enough for serious overlanders so they get changed out. Most people buy a TRD OFF ROAD Premium and add the suspension/tires they want. The cosmetic differences can be replicated with factory parts and still cost less than a TRD PRO.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
The stock 4runner suspension (which comes on all trims except for the TRD model) is very capable. In terms of articulation and load capability, and overall ride comfort, it's good. The only instance where I see a real need to change it out is if you plan on adding significant weight in terms of mods (bumper, armor, tent, ect.).

The TRD comes with a bilstein suspension and a slight lift. If you plan on modifying the vehicle in the future, skip the TRD version. I'd say for overlanding getting a trail version (with e-locker) makes the most sense. Yes you can add an air locker via the aftermarket, but having one already installed and warrantied makes life so much easier.

A stock Trail/offroad 4runner with e-locker well get you very far; add a hidden mount and winch and you've got a very decent overland vehicle. All the other overland accoutrements can be added as you see fit.

Xhado

I've added some bold words to properly differentiate the models so there is no confusion.

The stock 4runner suspension (which comes on all trims except for the TRD PRO model) is very capable. In terms of articulation and load capability, and overall ride comfort, it's good. The only instance where I see a real need to change it out is if you plan on adding significant weight in terms of mods (bumper, armor, tent, ect.).

The TRD PRO comes with a TRD branded/tweaked bilstein suspension and a slight lift. If you plan on modifying the vehicle in the future, skip the TRD PRO version. I'd say for overlanding getting a trail (renamed TRD OFF ROAD for 2017+) version (with e-locker) makes the most sense. Yes you can add an air locker via the aftermarket, but having one already installed and warrantied makes life so much easier.

A stock Trail/TRD offroad 4runner with e-locker well get you very far; add a hidden mount and winch and you've got a very decent overland vehicle. All the other overland accoutrements can be added as you see fit.

mosovich

Observer
I had a Trail Premium.. It was amazing.. Did something stupid and sold it. Never have I had sellers remorse so bad. It was amazing, but not that economical as I couldn't quite get 300 miles out of a tank of gas. To me that was very frustrating. Went to a Subaru 3.6 and getting 26 mpg.. Much better than the 15-17 I was getting with the 4 runner. The stock tires are good, might be thin on the sidewalls, but I found them to be very capable. I went to BFG 275 which are AMAZING, but really hurt I think the mileage. If I could do it again, I'd kept the 4 Runner and change back to factory tires.

Dalko43

Explorer
I've added some bold words to properly differentiate the models so there is no confusion.

Thanks. I haven't kept up with the different naming conventions Toyota is using for their different trims. I thought TRD label had all the same add-on's; I didn't realize there was a difference between TRD and TRD Pro.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I am just getting home from a trip on Mojave Road with my bone stock Off-Road Premium. This is the version that has the e-locker, crawl control, etc. The premium version also differs from all other versions in that it has the KDSS suspension which controls the sway bars. Greater stiffness on the road, more articulation off-road. I was seriously impressed with this vehicle. It held four people and all our gear without too much sag in the rear. We encountered wash board, rocks, cross axle moguls, and sand and it handled it all with aplomb. The only thing that I took note of was the ground clearance at the front skid. I'm coming from a mid-travel Tacoma with a 3" lift and it took me several rocks to remember I had less ground clearance up front than I was used to. I think the only thing this truck would really benefit from would be a roof rack for additional storage options. Even the OEM all-terrains had great traction.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Is the 4Runner built on the same chassis as the Lexus GX's which is a LC Prado? or is this along the same faulty thinking like the Tacoma being a Hilux?

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I am just getting home from a trip on Mojave Road with my bone stock Off-Road Premium. This is the version that has the e-locker, crawl control, etc. The premium version also differs from all other versions in that it has the KDSS suspension which controls the sway bars. Greater stiffness on the road, more articulation off-road. I was seriously impressed with this vehicle. It held four people and all our gear without too much sag in the rear. We encountered wash board, rocks, cross axle moguls, and sand and it handled it all with aplomb. The only thing that I took note of was the ground clearance at the front skid. I'm coming from a mid-travel Tacoma with a 3" lift and it took me several rocks to remember I had less ground clearance up front than I was used to. I think the only thing this truck would really benefit from would be a roof rack for additional storage options. Even the OEM all-terrains had great traction.

There's a couple of simple things you can do to improve capability....first thing would be new rubber..next would be air bags. If you really want to get crazy, a lift and and UCA's...the rest of the goodies are what the bank can bare. I did a bunch of electrical upgrades, made a roof rack, added back up lighting, etc. This is my second one (Trail Premium) and never ceases to impress. Good luck

TwinStick

Explorer
We drove our brand new 2017 TRD Off-Road directly from the dealer, straight to the tire shop. Got $75 each for factory street tires. Went with the Cooper ST Maxx, LR "E". Yes, it is a LOT of tire for this vehicle. Do I regret it ? Not one bit. Drove through a wet sandy area that someone just got towed out of (4x4 with bald street tires-stuck) in 2wd. Yup, I love em.
Not real happy with the lights on ours either. I will remedy that at some point.

Shame on Toyota for the tires that were on our TRD Off-Road. Maybe those tires should be on the TRD "On-Road" version ! LOL

Dalko43

Explorer
Is the 4Runner built on the same chassis as the Lexus GX's which is a LC Prado? or is this along the same faulty thinking like the Tacoma being a Hilux?

The 4runner is built on the same chassis as the Lexus GX; both are built off the international LC Prado platform, which I think was the basis for the late FJ Cruiser as well. The main differences between the 4runner and GX are the engines (4r gets a v6, GX has an optional 4.6l v8), the Lexus of course has a nicer interior, and the 4runner has more offroad options (locking rear diff, manual transfer case shifter). Otherwise, the two vehicles have very similar underpinnings.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I don't know what tires come on the other trims, but the all-terrains that came on my off-road premium have handled surprisingly well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles