2017 Ram 2500 - Post Divorce Therapy

chet6.7

Explorer
Yes,that's Cooper's truck,he has a couple of build threads on the AEV forum in the Ram section if you have not seen them.

jerstw

Adventurer
Yep, been on the AEV forum a bit.

Just got what appears to be 18 UPS tracking numbers from DPP’s...looks like most stuff will be showing up on 11/30. 4Wheel Parts says the tire order is being processed. Nothing from AEV yet on the limiting straps.

Spray in liner got done today, overall it’s fine but was pissed as there was some residue that was left on the back outside of the bed and on the cab. They were able to clean it all off with a microfiber cloth and some detailing spray but irritated me I had to say anything as it stuck out on the white something fierce. Then the part that was total BS was when they put the fifth wheel access hole trim rings back in whoever did it did not bother to line up the notch in the trim cap to the notch in the bed. Bent the teeth that hold the trim caps in to where they would not stay in place as two of them were just sitting in the bed when I got home. I was able to get them back in properly but they will be getting emailed pictures on this one.
8d8e8478bfea0e584d73d255c5f60c5e.jpg

ea1585503fcae73bcc2a7e7c03b0fde7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dalko43

Explorer
Buliwyf - Yes, the dealers confirmed there are something like 40-45 different front coil spring part numbers of the front of the 2013.5 + Rams and 15-20 different ones for the rear. I haven't found a quick guide yet to explain all of them but do know mine has the HD Snow Plow Prep Group so the weight of the AEV front bumper and Warn 16.5 will be a non-issue with the Cummins...however, for the AEV 3" suspension it does mean I need to install the Snow Plow Spring Limit Straps from AEV; limits the downward travel about 1" but will make sure the coils don't 'pop out' on the trail (mind you this thing will never flex like a crawler and that is not what I am going so will be fine for what I want).

I look on Ram's website, but I can't figure out how to option the heavier springs for the snow plow group. Is there a special order # for that?

Last edited:

jerstw

Adventurer
Dalko - When I get back home this weekend I will pull the window sticker from mine to confirm the name of the option but on the build site I am pretty certain it was “Heavy Duty Snow plow Prep Group” is the one I got. They also have the “Snow Chief Package” which gets you a few more things...including the cab clearance lights and limited slip rear or you can select those all as options separately.

Also, Ram changed something on the 2018’s as AEV’ Procal Module for recalibrating tire height and axle ratio’s will not work on them; was part of the reason I was glad to find a late build 2017...although I suspect their will be a turner that can do this also in the near future on the ‘18’s.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
looking forward to watch this come together. i just got a 17 power wagon that im building up as well. obviously i went the gas route over the cummins - just couldn't justify the 10,000 expense, more expensive fuel and only marginally better fuel milage. glad you're enjoying it though!

jerstw

Adventurer
I look on Ram's website, but I can't figure out how to option the heavier springs for the snow plow group. Is there a special order # for that?

Dalko - The option description on my truck say "Heavy Duty Snow Plow Prep Group" which, as I understand it, gets you the 'heavier capacity' front coils even with the Off Road Package. Sorry, I don't know the dealer order code.

jerstw

Adventurer
looking forward to watch this come together. i just got a 17 power wagon that im building up as well. obviously i went the gas route over the cummins - just couldn't justify the 10,000 expense, more expensive fuel and only marginally better fuel milage. glad you're enjoying it though!

Hey Marshal - Saw the PW you are working on, sweet truck, congrats! I did try to locate a PW with the graphics delete but failed to find one that I could get in the time window I had for needing a new rig; plus the overall trade in and pricing on this one made it hard to say 'No'. I am curious to see how the MPG gets hit with the 37's and the fact I am going to be rolling with 3.42's for a few months (thinking this will suck).

I am also watching your build up and anxious to see what route you take it. Cheers!

jerstw

Adventurer
You won't be disappointed. Truck is nearly unstoppable on forest and blm roads.

Laramieskibum - Glad to hear, so far I am loving it. Looking at your signature I have three questions for you...

1. How often, in miles, are you refilling your DEF? I have 2,100 miles and my DEF gauge hasn't moved...still 100% full.
2. Would you by chance have an alias of "Wapitihunter"?
3. Did you do the braided lines on your ARB's or run the poly / plastic lines?

Thanks

Laramieskibum

I would think it would be completely unstoppable on an access road. 25 year old subarus can handle these.

Bahahahha. Good one. If it's dry a Camry will make it :).

I did get the ram stuck once on a forest service road. 17" of wet heavy snow, steep hill, unfrozen ground underneath, stream crossing, and tires with 25% tread left...left the truck, hunted, came back and let the air out of her tires and dug it out...nothing to winch to. Not quite unstoppable, but nearly :). Subaru wouldn't have made it out of camp that fateful morning, in fact many trucks were trapped for days after that freak oct storm in the forest. Now I have chains that fit front and rear.

I daily drive an outback with 250,000miles on it. It has packed out deer, elk, and a bear. It has as much ground clearance as my 2500 with 37” tires on it.

But it cannot tow my 8,000lbs travel trailer, drive roads with 1-2' of wet heavy snow on it (late season elk), any number of blm roads or forest roads in my neck of the woods, nor take a family of 5 with two dogs camping comfortably. I built this truck after repeatedly getting stuck or turned around on blm and forest service roads by a 2011 f-150 (which also over heated if it saw a slow speed steep hill while towing).

Love my roo...I'll never let it go, but you don't build a expedition style full size pickup truck and expect to take it to offroad parks. You build it for legal roads under the worst conditions because your out every weekend enjoying those conditions but taking a bunch of family and or gear with you. Many roads in the west have stopped my Subaru due to approach and departure or sheer steepness (wish we had the low gear of the euro Roos), I've also gotten it stuck multiple times on blm roads. Doesn't take much of a drift to stop you. The heavy truck just keeps goin. I've taken my truck everywhere I've ever taken my TJ but many places the roo would never make it. (Except a few tight width rocky ridges...)

Plus - all the ticks from bear hunting now blow out the bed instead of crawling up my neck :).

Nice outback btw, I dig it. Mine is a ‘06 OBXT 5MT. 250k on the clock and my baby who gets beat on regularly.

I'm not talking primary forest roads, I'm talking deep washes/deep snow/ deep mud/during the seasons where things get ugly (fun) overnight - primary roads are easy. I can get my roo stuck or turned around in a heart beat on the way to a trail head, the truck is pretty much limited only by its damn width.

Edit: just last weekend while traveling to elk hunting trail head in fresh 1-2' drifts I recovered 1 Chevy 2500 and 2 Honda four wheelers. I was breaking trail for the snowmobiles at one point because I woke up before they did :). You will love the truck under those kinds of conditions. Unstoppable fun :).

Last edited:

Laramieskibum

Laramieskibum - Glad to hear, so far I am loving it. Looking at your signature I have three questions for you...

1. How often, in miles, are you refilling your DEF? I have 2,100 miles and my DEF gauge hasn't moved...still 100% full.
2. Would you by chance have an alias of "Wapitihunter"?
3. Did you do the braided lines on your ARB's or run the poly / plastic lines?

Thanks

1. Never kept track. Depends highly on load. When towing which is most of the summer and fall use I’ll use a lot of DEF - like a 1/4 tank per weekend easy on a 200mile tow. When not towing, it sips it comparatively. If traveling slow (65mph) really sips it. Interstate highways at 85mph sucks it down. I take it most those miles are non-towing and not under heavy load?

2. Yup ;-)

3. Plastic. No issues yet with the lines. Rear axle solenoid is leaking diff fluid. Front and rear axles are expressing oil seal leaks on pinion. I believe the rear probably has a internal seal compromised on the locker causing the oil to come out the solenoid each time I turn it off. It’s an ARB thing it sounds like. Wish I would have mounted the solenoids and compressor else where, now I have diff fluid all over my fuse box....

Last edited:

Laramieskibum

I got awesome mileage at speed with a corrected speedo with 3.42 gears. Like 15-18mpg at ludicrous speeds. 1st gear was just a touch to high for daily driving and when towing slipping the clutch and painful. If your auto than take that with a grain of salt, your geared even higher. If your not towing you might find 3.42 not too bad. Personally I went 3.73 due to the high speeds we can achieve over long distances in the west and I tow at 70mph with a bit more air in the trailer tires. On secondary roads today with new Toyo 37" MTs I averaged 15mpg on the lie of meter, includes a 9,500' pass and about 150 miles of driving 65-75mph. No load but a Christmas tree that got slayed on the way home :). A piece of me wishes I went 4.10 or 4.30 but when running 315 snows that's hundreds of more rpms at 85mph....

jerstw

Adventurer
1. Yep, no load as of yet and highway speeds around my neck of the woods maxes out at 70 mph.
2. Had to laugh at the 250K Outback...that is the target for my daily driver purchase next spring.
3. I wish there was a version of the limited slip / electric lockers from the PW for the Cummins.
4. What chains do yo have and are they for the 37's or your 315 snows?
5. Yeah, I have the 68RE auto and I am torn on 4.10's or 4.30's as I know at some point the "hmmm...should I have done the AEV Highmarks and 40's" question will come up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles