2017 Ram 2500 - Post Divorce Therapy

jerstw

Adventurer
BACKGROUND
So, the first truck build was my former 2011 Ram 1500 (just search 2011 Ram 1500 - "The Basics" Build in this forum). Was nothing fancy but a great truck and I miss parts of it already. In considering replacement options I looked at a Trailhawk Grand Cherokee, waiting for the new JL Rubicon Unlimited, Raptor, Tacoma Pro, 4-Runner Pro, Tundra Pro, Outback (seriously, stop laughing), and a Land Cruiser...then realized I need a truck, loved my Ram and a great friend owns the dealership so here comes another Ram.

To start off with do I need a diesel...nope. I tow about once, maybe twice a year and no plow will be mounted on this thing as long as I own it. I have longed for a Cummins for about a decade and after a divorce this year I said 'screw it, this is for me' so here comes the Cummins.

SPECS
  • 2017 Ram 2500 - CCSB
  • Cummins w/68RE
  • Laramie w/Sport Apperance Package
  • Front split bench seat (love this)
  • Other stuff

BUILD LIST
  • AEV Splash Guards (Installed)
  • Weathertech Floorliners (Installed)
  • 3M Window Tint (Installed - just the fronts as Minnesota only allows 50% but still better than nothing)
  • Guardit Spray in Bedliner (Scheduled 11/24/17)
  • Leer 100XR w/sliding windoors, Thule tracks, cargo net, keyless access, power ports, headliner, etc. (should be in next week)
  • AEV 3" Dual Sport Suspension (to be installed week of 12/10/17)
  • AEV Salta Flat Black 17" (to be installed week of 12/10/17)
  • 37" BFG AT KO2's (to be installed week of 12/10/17)
  • Tire Gate Hitch Gate (already have this from my old truck, will use this until AEV releases their rear bumper hopefully by next spring)
  • Homemade Bed Drawers (ordered latches, handles, tie downs, etc. for this, plan to wrap this up over the month of December and should have done by January)
  • 4.10 Nitro Gears (TBD - Thinking April, 2018)
  • ARB Lockers Front and Rear (TBD - Thinking April, 2018)
  • AEV HD Ram Front Bumper ((TBD - Thinking April, 2018)
  • Warn 16.5 ti-S (TBD - Thinking April, 2018)
  • Sleeping Pads (will have the lady that made my last ones make the new ones for the longer bed and out of Marine vinyl this time around vs. canvas)
  • Front Runner or Rhino Rack - I think I want to do a platform rack of some kind and these are the two I have narrowed it down to. Want to have a 270 degree awning and the modular ability for a number of accessories so will narrow this down over the coming months. The end goal would be when I go on solo trips to be able to sleep in the bed, have my fatbike and kayak on the top of the Leer, DR650 on the hitch hauler and if needed my Packasport on either the platform rack or get some cross bars and put that on top of the cab.

RANDOM
The use for this truck will be just as my last one was...rig to get my two boys, dogs, gear and I out exploring, camping and enjoying the outdoors. Trip to the Badlands and BigHorns for next June, and then I am planning a solo run into north western Montana, Idaho and into Canada in July. Might try to work in a trip to the UP of Michigan also for an extended weekend. Also built up a DR650 last fall and picked up a VersaHauler for that when the kids are not with me so will try to get some use out of that this year also. A new daily driver will be purchased in the next 6-12 months so this will become the 'Get-away Rig'. Will update more through the next month as 'Phase 1' gets wrapped up.

Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving

Last edited:

Bojak

Adventurer
Sounds like the grown up version of a Christmas list. Should be awesome rig. Congrats. Look forward to seeing it. Happy thanksgiving.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jerstw

Adventurer
Thanks Guys and sorry...I had to go help make a pond hockey goalie set up with the kid.

Pics of current state...

fc143b373ff05619eb3d8575b8400846.jpg

4493071cddc25517c66dea3c9a8c3f44.jpg

1118622af78c8b002dc4c9e55ba060ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chet6.7

Explorer
Congrats on the truck and the future mods.
Is your bench seat the 40/20/40? That's what I have,I took out the center seat and put in a Tuffy security console,the Tuffy and the Thuren Rear Track Bar Kit have made my truck more comfortable.The stock console was to low for me,and the track bar got rid of the weird movement the truck had at the back.
Looking forward to your next mods.
724113d1509930183t-official-what-did-you-do-your-truck-today-thread-dscn0281.jpg

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Expo white with black wheels! Perfect. LOL.

Does Dodge have plow springs? With a diesel and a winch, I'd want the plow springs.

jerstw

Adventurer
chet6.7 - Yes, 40/20/40 is the one I got. My 1500 had the buckets and center console and I wanted the bench this time around and glad I did. That Tuffy console looks stout...might have to check into that. I was considering a ConsoleVault for the lower center console but will take a look at that Tuffy set up. Thanks for the pic.

jerstw

Adventurer
Buliwyf - Yes, the dealers confirmed there are something like 40-45 different front coil spring part numbers of the front of the 2013.5 + Rams and 15-20 different ones for the rear. I haven't found a quick guide yet to explain all of them but do know mine has the HD Snow Plow Prep Group so the weight of the AEV front bumper and Warn 16.5 will be a non-issue with the Cummins...however, for the AEV 3" suspension it does mean I need to install the Snow Plow Spring Limit Straps from AEV; limits the downward travel about 1" but will make sure the coils don't 'pop out' on the trail (mind you this thing will never flex like a crawler and that is not what I am going so will be fine for what I want).

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Buliwyf - Yes, the dealers confirmed there are something like 40-45 different front coil spring part numbers of the front of the 2013.5 + Rams and 15-20 different ones for the rear. I haven't found a quick guide yet to explain all of them but do know mine has the HD Snow Plow Prep Group so the weight of the AEV front bumper and Warn 16.5 will be a non-issue with the Cummins...however, for the AEV 3" suspension it does mean I need to install the Snow Plow Spring Limit Straps from AEV; limits the downward travel about 1" but will make sure the coils don't 'pop out' on the trail (mind you this thing will never flex like a crawler and that is not what I am going so will be fine for what I want).

That's good. It'll ride like a caddie with that weight on it. The plow springs ain't as stiff as they used to be, as long as you keep up on shock maintenance.

jerstw

Adventurer
chet6.7 - Do you by chance have the part number on that Tuffy Center Console you installed? I assume it is one of the universal ones on their site.

Thanks

chet6.7

Explorer
chet6.7 - Do you by chance have the part number on that Tuffy Center Console you installed? I assume it is one of the universal ones on their site.

Thanks
I had a welder build a frame for the console,I also changed out the in floor storage lids.
I ordered from Tuffy so I could get matching keys,I mentioned that I ordered from them because I wanted the matching keys and Amzn did not list that option.The Tuffy guy asked a couple of times if I was going to buy from Amzn,I said yes both times,so he said since I was going to buy from Amzn they would give me free shipping.
Check out how this guy mounted his switches.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-general-discussion/2113705-switch-mounting-options-4.html

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-88-series-ii-security-console-12-12-wide.aspx
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-509-ram-in-floor-storage-security-lid.aspx
They also have this product.
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-510-ram-rear-split-bench-underseat-storage-security-lid.aspx

Last edited:

jerstw

Adventurer
Thanks Chet. May have to consider that. I like the option of being able to have 6 passengers in the truck but truly not sure just how often that will be the case.

That one on the Cummins Forum looks like Cooper at DPP’s truck. Seem like solid folks at that place so I’ve ordered all the AEV stuff from them, exception of the snow plow limit straps as had to get those from AEV directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D45

Explorer
On my old 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4, I had a 12K winch and a Buckstop Bumper...........the front sagged maybe 1"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles