2017 Ram 2500 - Post Divorce Therapy

Laramieskibum

Battery saver message? That’s normal. Truck will go into that mode on cold starts and stay there until the next warm start. It’s an attempt by the computer to save enough amps for the next start.

Depending on voltage sometimes it will stay there after several starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerstw

Adventurer
Hey Laramie - That was / is my understanding as well but the challenge with my truck was after driving 2 hours, or more, the message would then come on and got to the point it would not clear even on warm starts. Since it was coming on after driving a while, not on start up, the dealer checked it out and one battery was junk and the other was on it way out so they did both and tested the alternator which was fine. Also, meant to ask you...with your lights and the Warn...do you have the 220 or dual 440 amp set up? Trying to confirm the 220amp single I have can handle the future 30" LED bar, 16.5 Warn, backup lights, etc.

Laramieskibum

Mine even after a new set of batteries will still go for a few hours at times in battery saver mode. My OEM batteries died last winter. Confirmed KIA...

I’m worse off than you, 180amp alternator (or whatever the smaller one is). It’s not 220amp. I’m thinking of going dual. On one hard winch pull I got battery saver message immediately with no exterior lights on. I had the engine at 2000rpms while winching to boost the amps up immediately after getting the message. Stalled the winch twice but that’s not the alternator - even with a shackle double hauling the suv I was trying to tug from a muddy lake in sub zero temps it was just too buried. It was suck by suction and a large chunk of ice behind the axle. If your only using the winch once in awhile and can afford to go a few hours after a hard winch pull and or wait a bit between hauls to make sure your battery has enough for the next start in winter conditions you will be ok. So far this year at -8F I hit battery saver mode a few times for hours at a time running only light cannons and the ARB for only enough to lock front and rear up. Doesn’t worry me but makes me want dual alternators. I believe the grid heater is the massive draw the system is seeing and trips it into battery saver most often. Last year I was in battery saver ever morning new batteries or not. But it was an exceptional winter.

Make sure your connections to the battery for accessories are correct and are not inter fearing with the shut system. There are right and wrong terminals particularly on the drivers side I believe. Google the ram manual for the OEM switch panel, it talks about it in that.

IMHO you’ll be fine most likely.

I want to go dual just because it can get so cold for so long in my region of the country. Maximum time to recharge the battery would be good since truck is in sub freezing temps from Sept to March without block heater or garage for 50% if it’s starts....

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
FYI. The Leer topper will fit with the camera CHMSL in place. My Leer 100XL fits perfectly on my 2014 3500 with that option.

jerstw

Adventurer
If I had a short bed I would seriously look at the decked drawer setup!

Spoke with Decked, they said it will not fit with the 5th wheel factory "package" the truck comes with. Appears it hits the trailer plug on the drivers side rear wheel well. Going to get started on the truck drawers this weekend.

jerstw

Adventurer
Mine even after a new set of batteries will still go for a few hours at times in battery saver mode. My OEM batteries died last winter. Confirmed KIA...

I'm worse off than you, 180amp alternator (or whatever the smaller one is). It's not 220amp. I'm thinking of going dual. On one hard winch pull I got battery saver message immediately with no exterior lights on. I had the engine at 2000rpms while winching to boost the amps up immediately after getting the message. Stalled the winch twice but that's not the alternator - even with a shackle double hauling the suv I was trying to tug from a muddy lake in sub zero temps it was just too buried. It was suck by suction and a large chunk of ice behind the axle. If your only using the winch once in awhile and can afford to go a few hours after a hard winch pull and or wait a bit between hauls to make sure your battery has enough for the next start in winter conditions you will be ok. So far this year at -8F I hit battery saver mode a few times for hours at a time running only light cannons and the ARB for only enough to lock front and rear up. Doesn't worry me but makes me want dual alternators. I believe the grid heater is the massive draw the system is seeing and trips it into battery saver most often. Last year I was in battery saver ever morning new batteries or not. But it was an exceptional winter.

Make sure your connections to the battery for accessories are correct and are not inter fearing with the shut system. There are right and wrong terminals particularly on the drivers side I believe. Google the ram manual for the OEM switch panel, it talks about it in that.

IMHO you'll be fine most likely.

I want to go dual just because it can get so cold for so long in my region of the country. Maximum time to recharge the battery would be good since truck is in sub freezing temps from Sept to March without block heater or garage for 50% if it's starts....

Noted and thanks for the comment on the "shut system"....will make sure when wiring up to the aux. switches to pay attention to this.

I have a friend that works in auto salvage on the look out for the parts for adding the other 220 amp alternator.

I was talking with one of the guys at the dealership last week and he mentioned the grid heater pulls "something like 700 amps each time"...seems a lot but suspect it could be.

jerstw

Adventurer
FYI. The Leer topper will fit with the camera CHMSL in place. My Leer 100XL fits perfectly on my 2014 3500 with that option.

Glad to find someone able to validate it first hand. It certainly looks close on when I saw how the topper fit on my but glad it worked out for you.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
View attachment 427292

Just thought I would chime in to give some specs and may answer some of your questions about drivability/mileage. Highway average is 18.5mpg at 75mph with 37" General Grabber x3s and the Tepui tent mounted. With head wind, you'll lose 2-3mpg. I have 7k miles on the AEV suspension package a love it.

2017 Ram 2500
6-speed manual
Snow plow prep
5th wheel prep
3.42 gears

AEV Suspension
Onyx Saltas
Raised air intake

Enjoy! You'll love it.

Nice new truck Spence! I loved your old Cummins too. You still in CO? I did a big loop through there this fall. I love Colorado more every time I go there!

Jerstw: You are also going to have a beauty! I've just done 35s and Thuren coils with Bilsteins on my 3500, but if I didn't have the truck camper I'd do 37s. I like the look of the Saltas on your rig without the trim ring, but it may not look as good in person? As for tires, BFGs are great. I won't risk them on my 3500, but maybe you'll have good luck? I run the Cooper STmaxx on my 3500 and they are the best tire I've ever run. I just put a set on my Land Cruiser too. I got double the life out of the Coopers than I did with my previous Toyo ATs. Keep us posted on how the KO2s treat you. My phobia of them is from the KOs, and only on a diesel. They gave me 5 years of life on the Toyota Land Cruiser, and it's close to 6,000 lbs empty.

Last edited:

Laramieskibum

Noted and thanks for the comment on the "shut system"....will make sure when wiring up to the aux. switches to pay attention to this.

I meant shunt, I assume it's similar to a shunt system of sorts on the battery terminals. Auto correct on iOS 11 sucks. Watch your winch wiring also. I'll try and find what I'm talking about.

Edit, Yeah. Here:
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2015/docs/cc/dddpptoes.pdf

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier